Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
But your point indeed stands and is hard to argue against. Why should you settle for less? Jolla certainly isn't capable of the waiting game Microsoft has been able to do with WP.
And that means you cannot bring any new products to markets in most segments. Many products are nowadays so complex that it takes a lot of time to design, engineer and produce them.

In many areas of IT it is normal that there are new products that don't have features of the old products. Despite of this some of them will succeed and some of them will fail. For example you would think that LDAP, external authentication, Fibre Channel, SSL, IPSec, IPv6 and many other things are old and well supported in products but still that is not case, and still those products sell.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
And that means you cannot bring any new products to markets in most segments. Many products are nowadays so complex that it takes a lot of time to design, engineer and produce them.

In many areas of IT it is normal that there are new products that don't have features of the old products. Despite of this some of them will succeed and some of them will fail. For example you would think that LDAP, external authentication, Fibre Channel, SSL, IPSec, IPv6 and many other things are old and well supported in products but still that is not case, and still those products sell.
Still, why should we settle for less? I'm not interested in THOSE products and all the comparison with iPhone, etc. That was 10 years ago and nobody is interested in that anymore.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
But your point indeed stands and is hard to argue against. Why should you settle for less? Jolla certainly isn't capable of the waiting game Microsoft has been able to do with WP.
But it's not only about the features that are missing, it's also about those that are unique. You will maybe never get a third-party browser, community repositories or a root shell on iOS because apple does not allow you to install it (without jailbreak). For some people the ability to do this things may outweigh the missing elements - every person has different needs, and what's core functionality for person A is never used by person B. I think jolla may never be able to play catch up with the big players but perhaps it's possible to survive in their niche for a small company if there's enough people that value the unique features over the missing ones.

Compared to WP, I personally do not see such strong points in favour of WP, other than that it has a very fluent interface, the 1020's camera and some nice handsets from Nokia. But again, this may be the other way round for anybody else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

But it seems like we are not talking about native sailfish app here?

EDIT: Answered on the tweet. Not native app.
Not only is not native, but its not even tweaked Android version to function on Jolla. Just like the version on Play Store, it doesn't work on streaming TV channels and live streams. Only works with the archived programs. Other options give sound and messed up picture.

I was already not liking non-native apps on Jolla Store, but allowing Android apps that don't even work properly on Sailfish in the store is really stupid and short sighted move from Jolla. Now they have not just the crappy Yandex store in there, but even their own store has stuff that does not work right.

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-12-18 at 17:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Still, why should we settle for less? I'm not interested in THOSE products and all the comparison with iPhone, etc. That was 10 years ago and nobody is interested in that anymore.
Because of some other features that are new or better implemented, better quality, better service or simply due price.

And for me Jolla provides enough features for start and there are promise that many missing features will come. I hope that Jolla can fulfil that promise

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
IMHO, users don't (know how to) use bug trackers.
I strongly agree with this, even in this community. I was over the moon when the harmattan bug tracker was opened, but I was almost glad they closed it after some frankly appalling behaviour from people on crusades for features they thought were more important than everyone else's.

I don't want to see that sort of thing with Jolla, so I'd rather we stuck to mailing lists and this forum. That's already more than you'd get anywhere else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Because of some other features that are new or better implemented, better quality, better service or simply due price.

And for me Jolla provides enough features for start and there are promise that many missing features will come. I hope that Jolla can fulfil that promise
I still don't get it why features that already are supported by underlying libraries and programs are not supported. Sorry, but there is no excuse for that.
I don't wan't to close my eyes to these obvious problems despite the enthusiasm I have for Jolla.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
My Jolla finally arrived! I love the multitasking possibilities it offers and I have no problems getting accustomed to the different swipe techniques. When this magic device leaves the Beta zone it will be more than awesome.

A question for Sailfish whatsapp users. I can't find whatsapp on either the Yandex store or Amazon store? There's no native app ready for Sailfish yet and I really need it to keep in contact with a lot of people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by latency View Post
My Jolla finally arrived! I love the multitasking possibilities it offers and I have no problems getting accustomed to the different swipe techniques. When this magic device leaves the Beta zone it will be more than awesome.

A question for Sailfish whatsapp users. I can't find whatsapp on either the Yandex store or Amazon store? There's no native app ready for Sailfish yet and I really need it to keep in contact with a lot of people.
You can download the apk from the whatsapp Homepage and install through going to system-settings -> transfers;
Still: the app can't get hold of the numbers in the addressbook and you will be able only to answer people which send you a message first.
And as others already said: the app is ugly, looking forward to a native one (this for example is not a crucial feature I need, just a nice to have)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by latency View Post

many ways but 1mobile store seems to be a good one.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience