I am a new user and I have NoScript enabled. Enabling script option for external captcha provider is one thing but enabling script from google dot com for the captcha is sad.

Added to all that the image captcha is so previous century. Can't we have decent spam prevention mechanisms?

I am not sure if the community forum is even thinking of upgrades to the forum software but sending google every time a "hello" when I am logged in to post is not in my interest.

I have to add that as a non-logged in user you are kind of forced to login as it needs one more captcha to search for posts. Since I was suggested to create an account to avoid captcha. I was actually surprised to see the captcha again on search page. I was told it was for few first posts. I don't understand the logic controlling search queries on a logged in user

Last edited by pavi; 2016-10-28 at 22:36.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pavi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Welcome!
There are lots of strange things happening around here. I have learned to live with it and so can you

What do you suggest we do?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
First of all, welcome pavi to TMO.. Check this out to learn more about what's going on and perhaps discuss your problem further: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=49

6 posts in order to avoid CAPTCHa, that's not really that bad, although it would be nice to know why this rule is in effect.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
First of all, welcome pavi to TMO.. Check this out to learn more about what's going on and perhaps discuss your problem further: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=49

6 posts in order to avoid CAPTCHa, that's not really that bad, although it would be nice to know why this rule is in effect.
Probably because of threads like these:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98031

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
If the Captcha approach succeeds is keeping an undesirable off would it then be considered a Gotcha...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
If the Captcha approach succeeds is keeping an undesirable off would it then be considered a Gotcha...
Doesn't seem like it succeeds, every now and then you get a bunch of spam, even with the captcha, is google sending it?

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
6 posts in order to avoid CAPTCHa, that's not really that bad
I come from a different world where life is without captchas once you login. 6 posts seriously? Added to all that why do you need captcha for searching ?

What could the logged in Spammers ( who filled the captcha once to create the account and email verified) do with the search option? DDOS the system with search queries?

I am new and I shouldn't complain. Seriously I took the pains to create an account can't I at least get to perform search query without filling the damned captcha? It makes a very bad barrier of entry not just for the visitor who quickly wants to find some information but also the logged in user who created the account.

PS: My 2nd post. 4 more captcha's to go.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pavi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Welcome!
What do you suggest we do?
  1. 1. Please replace google recaptcha with something non-google. There are many opensource libraries out there which can provide captcha without relying on google servers/services. ( we live in post 2013 era )
  2. 2. Please leave the search querying without captchas atleast for the logged in user. Expecting a reader to make 6 posts is just too unfriendly for newbies.
  3. 3. Think of a way to control spam without all this captcha business. There are other platforms which do that successfully. TJC (jolla) for example.

PS: 3rd post, 3 more captchas to go

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pavi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I come from a different world where life is without captchas once you login. 6 posts seriously? Added to all that why do you need captcha for searching ?

What could the logged in Spammers ( who filled the captcha once to create the account and email verified) do with the search option? DDOS the system with search queries?

I am new and I shouldn't complain. Seriously I took the pains to create an account can't I at least get to perform search query without filling the damned captcha? It makes a very bad barrier of entry not just for the visitor who quickly wants to find some information but also the logged in user who created the account.

PS: My 2nd post. 4 more captcha's to go.
You are lucky search results aren't being served through email

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
[LIST=1]3. Think of a way to control spam without all this captcha business. There are other platforms which do that successfully. TJC (jolla) for example.
I think TJC does without captcha because to login you need a jolla account which means you have to have a SFOS device.
There's just not that many spamers who are into jolla

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
spam monkeys