Closed Thread
I wanted to answer it here in the hope we can keep any bad feeling from spilling over onto the coding competition thread

Honestly, I appreciate your proposal and your attempt to fix what you perceive to be an injustice with the community awards. But the coding competition is a seperate thing. We can't bring peace and justice by running roughshod over the rules of something else

For example, in your proposal
IMHO, the above authors/projects would be put in a special category (hors-concours) of "2012 Coding Competition" and receive their N9/N950 as soon as possible (in July) to boost their projects development, with the simple condition that they say they will continue developing their projects.
Our competition runs til September and the integrity is very important to us. We're not going to take some devices from our prize pool to make a special category for people disappointed they didn't receive a community award.

It would be total non-sense to have 100 Nokia devices as awards and the most popular/breakthrough coding projects (NITDroid, Inception, Easy Debian, etc) for Harmattan without any device award.
It would be a bigger nonsense to have a coding competition that included fixed winners.

We have 25 devices to be won (plus Felipe's donated N9 makes 26). If your proposal was that anyone disappointed to miss out on a community award should enter the coding competition then I would think that's great! However, your proposal seems to be that we ring fence some devices from our competition and assign them sepcifically for people not to compete with everyone else on a fair basis in the rules of the competition. I hope you can understand that's a non-starter

I also hope you can work out any issues with the community awards directly with the council. Neither of the organisers of the coding competition (myself or zehjotkah) have ever been elected to council nor are we affiliated with Nokia. We don't have any involvement with the community awards, and we'd like the coding competition to remain seperate also.

Again, we're open to everyone. If anyone would like one of our prizes then please come enter and earn one - we'd love to see you get involved! But that's the only way you'll get one.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-29 at 09:19.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There seems to be a common agreement that we, the council, made some errors in procedures.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to change that. Many, most, including myself, have apologized and admitted to this.
Now, we are working, first priority, to try to ensure that this does not happen again.
We made an error, most of us agree, and want to make the best of a terrible situation.
Even though most have agreed this is sufficient (not, for sure, perfect) there still seems to be a few people that wants to have 'their heroes' awarded a device, no matter what it takes.
That would not be a fair deal also, at least for (the majority) of people assigned an award, which we all agree!
Do redo the whole thing, would put those people in line, not to mention that there might even be a decision from Nokia saying no-one deserves anything ? I wouldnt blame them.
Again, I repeat, an error was made, most of councelars have admitted to that.
Last, I want to thanks those that brought this up, and came with good suggestions on how to move on.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm a click away from closing this thread.
Please do. Its going in circles with same arguments, from both parties.

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
@nieldk I agree with your last two post and yes this thread is going in circles and has comed to an end.

The thing is most of the councilors has seen the issue and adessed it and even some apologized for it though one - @Estel - has done the opposite and kept 'hiding' behind his facts and arguments wich is see as not holding water the further we got into this thread.
He wont take any part in the councils responsibility in this matter nor his own responsibility.
He kept making personal attacks and being condescending in his attitude.
No one should give back their devices and i hope the council did see all the nominees as objectively as possible as they could.
The thing is the council haven't been hiding the fact they also wanted to participate as nominees/judges but is has no where been clear not even in the rules it has not been published broard enough nor clear enough.
My problem in all this started with 'conflict of interest' and ended up in @Estel being a twad about this and not taking his part of the responsibility in this and that's the path he has chosen.
Sad to see as it may be he wont change his behavior nor stop being blind and no one can force him to do so with valid arguments nor force.
I think at this point this thread has brought the best ir could taken this situation.

So just to clear up things my issue was not about councilors got an device it was how it was done and later on @Estel and his behavior and seeing himself without any responsibility in this.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
@nieldk I agree with your last two post and yes this thread is going in circles and has comed to an end.

The thing is most of the councilors has seen the issue and adessed it and even some apologized for it though one - @Estel - has done the opposite and kept 'hiding' behind his facts and arguments wich is see as not holding water the further we got into this thread.
He wont take any part in the councils responsibility in this matter nor his own responsibility.
He kept making personal attacks and being condescending in his attitude.
No one should give back their devices and i hope the council did see all the nominees as objectively as possible as they could.
The thing is the council haven't been hiding the fact they also wanted to participate as nominees/judges but is has no where been clear not even in the rules it has not been published broard enough nor clear enough.
My problem in all this started with 'conflict of interest' and ended up in @Estel being a twad about this and not taking his part of the responsibility in this and that's the path he has chosen.
Sad to see as it may be he wont change his behavior nor stop being blind and no one can force him to do so with valid arguments nor force.
I think at this point this thread has brought the best ir could taken this situation.

So just to clear up things my issue was not about councilors got an device it was how it was done and later on @Estel and his behavior and seeing himself without any responsibility in this.

Regards Dousan...
Thanks, and please feel asured that this will not be passed, but discussed (also with individual councelar(s) (I include myself here) harrasing and making personal attacks. I agree that that kind of behaviour is not something that should be acceptable from our position ATM in the community.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I have been reading this thread quietly and it is clear to me what the council have done is not only embarresing for them but also everyone on this community and once again the need to hide the embarresment by closing the thread is being threatened yet again.

It is obvious the actions from certain members of this council are not only demeaning but bringing this community down especially estel, it is all sad but i do feel unless this is dealt with other than talk and something gets done about it there will never be any respect for this council.

If the only way is to close threads to try stop this then there is something very wrong now with the way this community is being run so i think the only thing that could put this right is for the members of council who have gotten this award to hand them back and/or should resign from the council and fresh voting take place.

The effects are now very demeaning and bringing down the meaning of what this community should stand for and certainly not to allow this kind of thing to occur.

For me Maemo.org has lost the plot and i am sure many feel the same but too scared to speak out.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2012-06-29 at 12:32.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have been reading this thread quietly and it is clear to me what the council have done is not only embarresing for them but also everyone on this community and once again the need to hide the embarresment by closing the thread is being threatened yet again.

It is obvious the actions from certain members of this council are not only demeaning but bringing this community down especially estel, it is all sad but i do feel unless this is dealt with other than talk and something gets done about it there will never be any respect for this council.

If the only way is to close threads to try stop this then there is something very wrong now with the way this community is being run so i think the only thing that could put this right is for the members of council who have gotten this award to hand them back and/or should resign from the council and fresh voting take place.

The effects are now very demeaning and bringing down the meaning of what this community should stand for and certainly not to allow this kind of thing to occur.

For me Maemo.org has lost the plot and i am sure many feel the same but too scared to speak out.
While all you say, in my opinion, is quite true. I must add.
1. The issues argued here will be dealt with on the council.
2. Closing this thread, its not a 'threat'. But the arguments being thrown is circular. I think the important bits have been mentioned (and commented) over and over again, and to my opinion, it doesnt serve a purpose anymore. Except, for posting the outcome of the council discussion on personal attacks, how to avoid this in the future, etc. etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post

LoL. just when I thought we were done here. You showed up here with same old same old.

That's just fantastic.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
While all you say, in my opinion, is quite true. I must add.
1. The issues argued here will be dealt with on the council.
2. Closing this thread, its not a 'threat'. But the arguments being thrown is circular. I think the important bits have been mentioned (and commented) over and over again, and to my opinion, it doesnt serve a purpose anymore. Except, for posting the outcome of the council discussion on personal attacks, how to avoid this in the future, etc. etc.
So what you are saying is that everyone who has complained bitterly in some cases you still feel the council just need to talk about this and this matter should only be dealt with by the council? ok you might have a point there because there are no procedures in place to contol the council of this community should it ever fall foul and do something wrong.

The reason the arguments are going circle is simple, nothing is being done about about this matter and it is so serious it could even bring down this community because the whole world of this community and beyond is watching and reading all of this, you memers of council need to realise this and do your talking promptly before you lose complete respect and let everyone know just what your going to do about all of this.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Dave999, i'm sure you can handle this one!
i'm counting on you!

EDIT: just stumbledupon this:
An old Cherokee told his grandson: "My son, there's a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It's anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is Good. It's joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth." The boy thought about it and asked: "Grandfather, which wolf wins?". The old man quietly replied: "The one you feed."

Last edited by vetsin; 2012-06-29 at 13:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
clarity, council fail, dishonesty, outcry, titfortat, trollmageddon, trolls, untrustworthy, whereisthelove