Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by N9 Apps View Post
What exactly did Microsoft get?

I've heard that most of the 'smart' people have been transferred to the network division a long time ago, and rest of the people have been laid off; Nokia's own factories have been shut down; maps division wasn't included in the deal; no patents were sold, just licensed. Microsoft got exclusive rights to Asha/Lumia brands and related design IP, and 32 000 employees. It seems that almost everything that was actually failing or dead weight, is now owned by Microsoft.

Part of the deal was that Nokia can't use 'Nokia' brand name in smart phones for 10 years. Why? Of course Microsoft is afraid (or knows) that Nokia could start a new smart phone division, and that is a big threat apparently. If Jolla can make a phone with 200 people, why wouldn't Nokia, with all their patents, after all? I don't think they will do it, but it's completely plausible.

TL;DR Nokia sold Elop to Microsoft for $7.2B

Edit: The above 10 year deal was incorrect, actually Nokia can start using it's name on mobile devices in 2016.
They got the competent mobile HW/SW engineers means those who has been brainwashed by Microsoft propaganda since 2011 and not already has left the building...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
I'm sorry but to disagree. Back in 2010 Nokia had ALL the right cards in their hands to counterfight Android AND EVEN iOS - as the extremely positive reviews on the N9 prooves. The fact that it epically failed (for reasons which we know) is the cause for the E/Flop evil. NOT MeeGo itself. Period.
Look at the stock chart. Kept sliding down and down. Investors didnt buy it. Maybe few people believed in Meego dream, no one else did. I think that they had important components, but no leadership to unite it. the stock chart shows that there was n confidenc in Nokia for many years.

What ever your argument is, Lumiaman, Nokia is sold to Microsoft in the end and it happened under Elop's leadership. You talked about public perception, so that's the public perception. End of Story

The Following User Says Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
And Elop is back where he belongs. Lets see how well he does in the "mothership". He will be under real pressure to deliver now. MS spent too much on the devices and services unit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Look at the stock chart. Kept sliding down and down. Investors didnt buy it. Maybe few people believed in Meego dream, no one else did. I think that they had important components, but no leadership to unite it. the stock chart shows that there was n confidenc in Nokia for many years.
No one can claim that Meego was a bust. It was never given a chance as the rug was pulled out from under it by the fat slob with his ridiculous "burning platform" memo. Not only that, but he made sure not to sell it in the most important markets. He wanted this to fail as that's what his master in Redmond told him to do.
Compare that with Windows Phone...it's been given over 2 years to shine and it's been the laughing stock of mobile OSs...and it's on sale worldwide.

SB

Looks like Blackberry is heading the way of Nokia....

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberrys_...-news-6728.php

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan

I don't understand why people compare BB10 with MeeGo.. There's a huge difference between them.. MeeGo was extremely highly praised hardware and software-wise...

Nokia also has a better portfolio than BB.. Designs, PureView cameras, HD sound recording, HERE maps.. etc.. Those all could've been a huge hit with the much loved MeeGo... Not to mention the simplicity of Swipe UI, Qt (which was shared with Symbian and Meltimi)..

You can't compare BB to MeeGo and you can't also say MeeGo was gonna fail for sure because that's just a load of crap.

And don't mention the amount of apps because at the time when Nokia started with WP it also didn't have much apps..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Agreed on the missing leadership; which most likely was due to Nokia's unresponsiveness in the project management side of things.

Stock chart is one side of the story; sales numbers the other; and they were showing that nokia was going strong (back in 2010).

I cannot in all honesty find a reason for MeeGo *not* to have been an instant success; it was the iOS-non-clone-clone.
The reason why it failed? The sabotage (by E/Flop).
Remember, they did not market the N9 *at all*. They had to kill it to make sure it would NOT get sold!

Blackberry is the next palm. Period.
They have even less activity on BB10 than N9.

EDIT : The proof that MeeGo could have been a success is right before our eyes (even tho we can't see it properly), and it is represented by the fact that not *once* Nokia gave a correct number of sold N9's. If it would have been a failure, I would not see any reason for them to report it immediatly and can the whole thing publically. Which in turn brings us back to the sales numbers; and a good reason to hide them : keep on dropping Nokia stock so that MS can buy it for cheap.

Sometimes I am wondering if this was just some kind of masterplan to get rid of Symbian and all the Symbian devs (with respect for them).

EDIT 2: or perhaps the explanation is much simpler and the current situation is just the consequence of two mistakes:
a) the meego mismanagement
b) the idiotic decision not to point strategically on MeeGo once it was ready but to go with WinPhone.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2013-09-05 at 07:39.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
I think you are a bit paranoid. The reason they didn't give the actual numbers is pretty obvious. They paled in comparison to iPhone or Samsung sales.

Elop is disgusting. Nokia own fault, settling for the less innovated OS and hiring a dimwit for a CEO. Nokia n9 could of been alot more then it was. Maemo/Meego could of been the future if moved right.

Oh well rip Nokia, you did well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to unoace For This Useful Post:

Tags
espionage, trojan man