Notices

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
glad to share my thoughts

I guess our posts crossed, all the browser starting stuff should be in post #9.

UI design is a black art by itself, I guess for true usability scrutiny we should run every program against Steve Jobs and let him approve/tear it apart. For mere humans like me, as long as it's usable, it's good enough for me as a start.

On the 'settings per MAC' option, allow then to copy settings from an already existing entry, so it minimizes the extra work. That would be the poor man's solution.
Design wise of course it's worse than the true grouping oriented approach. But the standard (SSID only) way of working is at least 'easy' for normal users. For this, allow a descriptive name to be given to each 'advanced, MAC linked'
definition as the SSID is not sufficiently unique anymore. See the grouping approach creeping in ... ???

Full solution, maybe the switch to an advanced grouping based approach could be hidden in the global settings menu entry ? With a bit of a warning so people know to stay out or continue if they really want it (like me) ?

That would prevent advanced exposure and allow flexibility as well.

Again just some thoughts of mine ... Dangerous, all this thinking in one day

Happy to play tester for this, if you decide to give the solution a try ! I have plenty of strange wifi situations around (hence the request) and currently 4 browsers to start on my N900.
Opera, Chromium, Fennec and MicroB.

ps. For one of my projects I worked (weekdays only) in Orebro for a year ... My only exposure to Sweden (together with the obligatory visits to Stockholm) but I liked it a lot. Only winters were soo dark ...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Great app, thanks for this. It seems to work just fine, though, as far as I can tell, the network-profiles (e.g. network A) are not saved/shown until connected to it in the list. However, I'd have few suggestions as improvements.

1. Add support for networks with spaces between them (e.g. This Is My Network). So far I've been able to use this app in non-spaced network only (e.g. mynetwork).
2. Allow users to define the usable address by network. If I'd add Google to open on every network I'd just get redirected and thus not really saving up any time.

That's about it though.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by rantom View Post
Great app, thanks for this. It seems to work just fine, though, as far as I can tell, the network-profiles (e.g. network A) are not saved/shown until connected to it in the list.
Ah, yes. The list only contains those networks that you've been connected to, and either answered yes or no to in the popup - the list only contains networks that we have a yes/no setting saved for.

If you would like this to change, please tell me what you expected or how you want to see it work.

Originally Posted by rantom View Post
However, I'd have few suggestions as improvements.

1. Add support for networks with spaces between them (e.g. This Is My Network). So far I've been able to use this app in non-spaced network only (e.g. mynetwork).
2. Allow users to define the usable address by network. If I'd add Google to open on every network I'd just get redirected and thus not really saving up any time.

That's about it though.
Great! Those two requests are actually on my roadmap (in that order).

The Following User Says Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Happy to play tester for this, if you decide to give the solution a try ! I have plenty of strange wifi situations around (hence the request) and currently 4 browsers to start on my N900.
Opera, Chromium, Fennec and MicroB.
Great! Early testing is extremely welcome. I'll post a link in this thread here whenever I get something new out. (Have lots to stuff to take care of the next 14 days or so, have two kids, speaking engagements coming up shortly - don't expect it all to happen very soon!)

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
ps. For one of my projects I worked (weekdays only) in Orebro for a year ... My only exposure to Sweden (together with the obligatory visits to Stockholm) but I liked it a lot. Only winters were soo dark ...
Ah nice! If you ever visit Sweden again I hope you get a chance to experience the West coast (Göteborg/Gothenburg), aka the Best coast.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
really nice example on how to use curl syntact to do pretty powerfull things using a 'simple' commandline here

Only problem, curl seems to be in one of the Fremantle SDK repositories according to some posts here but I couldn't find it. It seems on my N900 I have libcurl3 installed but there is already libcurl4 out there.

I rather have the the 'curl' executable, the libcurl apprach is too programming centric by itself and not usable for this purpose. Or is there an easy 'act as curl' API call into libcurl ???

Anyone has an idea ? Maybe I should request this in the programming section ....

It should be fairly easy to compile cURL for Fremantle. I compiled it for Diablo with minimal issues http://www.box.net/os2008/1/38267044/393488254
You may also have luck with the armel package from Debian http://packages.debian.org/lenny/armel/curl/download but of course that is "not recommended" (in my experience either it won't install due to version dependencies or it'll install but segfault or it will just work without issues)

Obviously results may vary.

There's a new manual build available for early testing at http://wendt.se/software/maemo/wifi-..._0.9.0_all.deb which fixes the "space in network name" issue.
Almost every line of code's been refactored (modified in some way) and there might still be on or two rough cuts in there. Known things I need to fix before releasing 0.9.0 properly:
* There's no upgrade/migration script so your settings will be ignored.
* The daemon doesn't show popups until you change this in the menu > Settings > Show popup when connected ...
* If you add a network using Menu > Add Network, and the list was empty when you started the program, it will not appear (the GUI won't update) after you hit Save. Just restart the program and you'll see it, and that it's actually saved.

Steps to install if you want to try it out (as root):
initctl stop wifi-assistant
apt-get -y remove wifi-assistant
rm wifi-assistant*
wget http://wendt.se/software/maemo/wifi-assistant_0.9.0_all.deb
dpkg -i wifi-assistant*deb

Thanks in advance for any bugs you identify and report!

Last edited by fredrik_wendt; 2010-08-25 at 22:52. Reason: the old daemon needs to be stopped manually (initctl stop wifi-assistant)

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Cool stuff Fredrik.

One bug: the daemon isn't started at install time, only when hildon-desktop/home restarts; usually at boot.

One must-have (so much so I might start hacking on it): per network URLs. Virgin Trains in the UK are currently doing free wifi, but after connection to virgintrainswifi you need to open http://virgin.passengerwifi.com/startsession.php. Since this is the only one I'm using currently, it works quite well. But you could imagine a similar one for The Cloud's Get online button.

The bug with not starting the daemon after install should already have been fixed in the next version (which I've not had time to release). The version currently in git also supports the possibility of having individual URLs per WLAN SSID (and base station MAC) - but there's no GUI for that level of configuration yet. To get it working, you need to insert a URL for the SSID in gconf.

I've been working two jobs since October 4th and I'm teaching ("Agile Web Developer") which currently eats up all my awake hours of the day. :P

I'd be happy and greatful to let you release a new version (the debian control file needs to be fixed, I got the version line wrong, apart from that it's complete and I've been using it for months) or add more GUI configuration code. If I remeber correctly, the are unit tests that already tests that you can have different URLs per SSID.

SCM: https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1777

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Navi Mumbai
I have a problem wid my wifi.It doesn't searches the nearby wifi.
Will the above commands will help me......