Posts: 40 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Aug 2014 @ England, UK
I personally think they should have 'grades' of TOH's to cater for differing sizes of phones. So if they want to make a phone with a 5.5" screen, or a 3.5" one, they don't need to abandon standards, just make a new one for that size. This is of course, assuming they are going to stick with touch-slates, a candybar T9 or qwerty phone demands a thicker profile and that would throw of the possibility of TOH's for those devices.

But, before any of this comes to fruition, Jolla needs to make more ambitious other halfs, interest will wane if they can't expand beyond colours and themes. This is meant to be their unique selling point, one would hope that they would do exciting things for it and not to sit on their laurels and 'hope' the community will do it for them. Very strange business practise IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
They can't go too broad yet, they haven't even delivered effectively on the original vision for TOH, longer-term they could look at something like 'grades' for TOH's.
If they get too "scatter-gun" in their approach, they'll never fully nail anything, they're already struggling as is...
Sill waiting on them to execute beyond NFC-triggered sw autoruns for their TOH's, that's not "unique/innovative", it's been done, is do-able in Android, & even iOS/WP.
The i2c interface* is there for a reason, they must leverage it far more than they have, so far...

*I hope they migrate to something more powerful eventually, but they're still far from getting the most out of i2c, so no rush

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-13 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Aug 2014 @ England, UK
They also need to reach way more European networks than they have so far. Barely anyone here in the UK knows about Jolla, yet they're concentrating on rather off-piste markets in south-east Asia. In the future I don't want to have to buy each new Jolla direct from Finland, that would be too expensive.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
They could just re-use the same shape and size, and aim for a bigger display and smaller bezels.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N9uwu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
If dirkvl's TOHKBD rev2 turn out to be very good and I ended up buying it, Jolla 2 would be so much more desirable to buy and would also justify the value of the TOHKBD. It would be great. I don't even demand that much from the Jolla 2, just that it would be free of battery/reboot related issues and the OS to be more mature and stable.

jolla has dropped to £250 on amazon.co.uk.

only another hundred to go before its broadly competitive with the likes of the moto G...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes we need a big price drop Today! Expect jolla to drop price and steal what market they can get before introducing jPhone ll.

Question is how long jolla Will need to build the second Phone. I need a new improved Jolla device. The first one is such a alpha.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-12 at 20:03.

the thing is, I know they want to show off libhybris, but I hope they go with a more open source vendor if they can

Why can't Jolla just take the Nexus 5.... and call it the Jolla 2 ??
It would be much better in terms of hardware and quality than what they could muster up with their limited resources.

Oh, did I mention it would be much cheaper as well

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Why can't Jolla just take the Nexus 5.... and call it the Jolla 2 ??
It would be much better in terms of hardware and quality than what they could muster up with their limited resources.

Oh, did I mention it would be much cheaper as well
two like minded people :P

am just waiting on the nexus 5 to have a fully functioning port (camera, sensors and gps hooked up to MW) then I'll see what the jolla 2 is and move

Tags
jolla, jolla 2