Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The term "internet tablet" as you are describing was what Nokia used to describe their line of cell-phone-sized pocket computers. However, that term has not caught on outside the world of Nokia.
I disagree, but regardless, this is still called internettablettalk.com, and to exclude devices based on screen size seems very silly here at least.

A device that fits in your pocket is now firmly defined as a "cell phone".
Funny, I typically wear pockets large enough to accommodate a Nexus 7 or similar, and that's certainly not a phone. If you distinguish by size where do you draw the line? How would you classify the Note 2? The Dell Streak? The Archos 5? The Sony Tablet P? Why?

And "smart phones" are getting dumber by the day...)
Yeah, well, thanks to the iDiots and the idiots who market to them, "real" computers are getting dumber by the day too so no surprises there.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I disagree, but regardless, this is still called internettablettalk.com, and to exclude devices based on screen size seems very silly here at least.
Well, this is the Competitors forum, after all.

Funny, I typically wear pockets large enough to accommodate a Nexus 7 or similar, and that's certainly not a phone. If you distinguish by size where do you draw the line? How would you classify the Note 2? The Dell Streak? The Archos 5? The Sony Tablet P? Why?
Today, the portable electronic devices world is, more or less, ruled by Apple. Even if Apple doesn't sell the majority of phones / tablets / laptops, they certainly have achieved leadership status; and every day, more and more, every device sold by every other manufacturer looks suspiciously like an Apple device.

Apple has made a clear distinction between their pocketable multimedia devices (iPod & iPhone), their laptops, and the device that goes inbetween the two, their tablets. So, the world as a whole now makes that distinction as well. As a manufacturer, if you can't shoehorn your device into one of those three categories, you're going to have trouble marketing it...

Today, the portable electronic devices world is, more or less, ruled by Apple.
I reject your premise, and note that you didn't even attempt to go anywhere near answering the question.

every device sold by every other manufacturer looks suspiciously like an Apple device.
Funny, I just mentioned 4 devices that look nothing like anything made by Apple.

Apple has made a clear distinction between their pocketable multimedia devices (iPod & iPhone), their laptops, and the device that goes inbetween the two, their tablets. So, the world as a whole now makes that distinction as well.
So, is the iPod touch a phone or a tablet? :-b

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Although it is a bit cumbersome I like the lenovo x220t which can be either laptop or tablet. I dual boot ubuntu and windows. If I didn't need MS Office for work (I call this Bill Gates curse for linux users) I would have wiped MS off but there are too many incompatibility issues with open office/libre office and ms office. The next generation of these laptop/tablets should be lighter and thinner. Hopefully windows 8 will be better...
Why don't you install office under wine? While it isn't exactly the same as running it on win it is still better then to reboot. I works here alright(though I only use it once a year ) on Kubuntu 12.04

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I reject your premise
Fine, no problem. I'm just saying that yes, the world at large has a different definition of tablet than you do. Nothing wrong with that!

Funny, I just mentioned 4 devices that look nothing like anything made by Apple.
The Note runs Android. The Streak runs Android. The Sony Tablet runs Android. (Not sure what the Archos runs...) Physically, each one of them is nothing more than a big capacitive touchscreen (well, the Sony has 2 touchscreens), containing a bunch of icons you can press to launch apps. So far as I can tell, there's no significant difference between Android and iOS; they both lock the user into just running tiny little apps and playing various media. They've even got the same "pinch to zoom" system. How can you say they look nothing like anything made by Apple? They look exactly like everything made by Apple. They follow the Steve Jobs philosophy of design almost religiously...

BTW, for what it's worth, Wikipedia currently describes the note and the streak as "phablets":
Phablet is the term by which some touch-screen devices with screens of 5+ inches are referred to. A phablet is a device that combines the capabilities of a smartphone and mini tablet. Bigger than a smartphone, but not large enough to be considered an actual tablet or even mini-tablet, the range of screen size of a phablet falls anywhere greater than or equal to 5", but less than 7".
So, is the iPod touch a phone or a tablet? :-b
And the answer is: you're right, it isn't either of those things. The iPod (touch, nano, classic, whatever) is just a portable media player. I don't know how much longer the iPod (and other similar portable media players) will continue to exist, as "smartphones" are more or less taking over their role...

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
I would hold off for the Samsung ATIV SmartPC and SmartPC Pro.

That is what i waiting for! S Pen support, excellent build quality and the keyboard dock helps as well

I was gonna get a Transformer Prime/Infnity but Asus has alot of building issues, such as cheap flash memory causing IO bottlenecks and crappy build quality where the screens come away from the glass itself and bleed issues.

Also Android lacks the word processing that I want for uni and not to mention nothing can replace Microsoft OneNote.

So I am gonna wait for the SmartPC/SmartPC Pro to come out anytime after October 26th and probably replace my crappy old netbook with that.

SmartPC

SmartPC Pro
I've totally missed these ones from sammy, looking much better than the note 10.1 regarding productivity. One should be able to install open office, gimp and mypaint to preduce some pretty cool stuff as it got the spen with pressure sensitivity (1024 points) and should allow installs from w7 and pre that.
Will deffo wait to see the price of these in Denmark before buying a tablet (note 10.1).

I've seen a pre price on them:

Ative smart pc $649 + $100 for the keyboard/dock.

Ative smart pc pro $1149.

Hope they're not much higher in price when coming to Denmark.

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-09-30 at 19:12.

Ima troll ya?

PmP = anything less than 5.5 inches/pocketable without cellular
Phones = anything less than 5.5 inches/pocketable
Tablets = anything larger upto ~18 inches/unpocketable
TV / All-in-ones = anything larger/unportable

The distinction is clear. Only idiots and trolls argue about it.

edit: SmartQ 5 has always need labeled as a MID or a PmP. Funny enough they both mean the same thing. There's a minority that called it "Internet Connected Device" but literally noone called it a Tablet. I mean would you call the OPandora a tablet too? Cause everyone calls it a PmP. Oh and by the way the term "Internet Tablet" was surpassed by "Internet Connected Device" (since ms owned the term for its Keyboardless Netbooks) which was surpassed by "Mobile Internet Device" which was surpassed by "Portable Media Player" which has been surpassed by the current term "Players" which includes the iTouch.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-09-30 at 23:32.

Physically, each one of them is nothing more than a big capacitive touchscreen (well, the Sony has 2 touchscreens), containing a bunch of icons you can press to launch apps.
[...]
They look exactly like everything made by Apple. They follow the Steve Jobs philosophy of design almost religiously...
PalmOS. 1996. Nothing to do with iSteve.

BTW, for what it's worth, Wikipedia currently describes the note and the streak as "phablets":
A word made-up about a year ago, when the Streak was already discontinued?

The iPod (touch, nano, classic, whatever) is just a portable media player.
But it isn't. An iPod touch is an iPhone without the cellular modem (or if you prefer, an iPad with a smaller screen). As limited as iOS is, it still does a lot more than just play media.

Closer to home, what would you call a SmartQ 5 (or a SmartV 5) if not a tablet?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
The distinction is clear. Only idiots and trolls argue about it.
Or those that love semantic battles.

As far as it goes, tablets have grown from the 4.1 inch marvels we used to love - the 770, N800/N810 - and that's now a phone size with better resolution (screen and device).

Phones are coming in with 5.3 inch screens at resolutions that make the prior generation of NIT's look anemic. So tablet now seems to be defined as 7.x, 8.x, 9.x and 10.x+ higher in terms of inches and phone are mostly 4.x and 5.x now.

What bothers me the most is that the 770 and N800/N810 had 4.x screens, yet the N900 had the smaller screen that followed phone trends at that moment - namely the iPhone. That was sorta a bad call because Nokia could have had the phablet market (god I hate that term) and beat Samsung to the punch instead of releasing a "me too" device in regards to screen size.

That me too mentality spilled over into the N9, also with a smaller screen in terms of inches instead of going up in screen size and resolution like the Nexus series have been pushing.

Back to the semantic battle over what constitutes a tablet. To me, it was never the screen size. Too many sizes to hit too many different needs for people. It was moreso about the resolution and the radios inside.

Give me wi-fi only, it's an internet tablet. Gimme a 3G radio in that allows only internet access away from my desk, it's an internet tablet. Add a 3G/4G voice capability and you've described a modern smartphone regardless of the size. Add a name like phablet only if it makes you feel good.

That's my take. I'm sure you can find some semantic hole in there somewhere. I just wonder if you'll notice who really cares in the end.

Not Nokia. Not Apple. Not Samsung. Not the marketing departments. Not the CEO's. Not the board of directors. And definitely not I. We all can have varying ideas of what is what and ultimately all be varying degrees of right and wrong.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Or those that love semantic battles.

We all can have varying ideas of what is what and ultimately all be varying degrees of right and wrong.
To a degree you are right, but in this instance it is WRONG to say the Lumia 920 is a tablet. It is a phone, or barely a smartphone.

Going off by the definitions of pocketable, unpocketable and unportable seems to be the best thing. Which is why screen size is an accepted rule in these semantics.

PS anything wider than 85mm or longer than 160mm or thicker than 14mm, I would consider unpocketable for average or most use cases.

I'm flattered