I just wanted to put my 2c here: I've owned the N800 since January and found some use for it since but not a whole lot. I was about to sell it...However a family member has taken it on a trip to Europe (I'm in the USA) and I have to say it is working out just great over there. Easy to travel with-and with the stowaway keyboard it makes emailing so much easier. But the real godsend is Skype-it works perfectly without a hitch. The connection is as good or better than a landline-just great to keep in touch. Kudos to Nokia and Skype for coming thru with flying colors!

Sorry to seem so new, but how did you load Skype on that n800? What additional hardware is useful for such int'l calls? Any other how-to comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted by gdi View Post
Sorry to seem so new, but how did you load Skype on that n800? What additional hardware is useful for such int'l calls? Any other how-to comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Skype is available once the latest firmware update is installed.

Originally Posted by Tu13es View Post
Skype is available once the latest firmware update is installed.
To be precise, it's available for _downloading_ once the latest firmware update is installed. It's in one of the menues, click it and it'll download and install.

Thank you for the reply. I THINK I've installed it (I do have the n800's latest s/w installed). It was one of many SKYPE selections ( I selected the ENG version). However, I now can't find it as an openable application ( I obviously am not very good in navigationg the n800 yet). Any further tips/suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks, Bill

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Open the Applications Menu (the third icon down on the left, below the "two people" Contacts icon). Skype should be the fifth application listed (counting from the top). If you haven't installed Skype, then clicking the Skype icon will begin the installation process. Once installed, the same icon starts Skype.

I don't think you should have done what you have done - which is to install manually via the App Manager. When installing via the Skype icon, you end up with all of the locals (including those you don't need - sigh) so you may now have a partial insall. See if you can uninstall what you have so far installed, then install via the Skype icon.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-07-24 at 15:34.

Thanks again. I HADN't all the newest software, after all. I'd just installed some n800-prompted upate for new users (me). The latest OS update did the trick. The Skype's now loaded and is on my desktop. Thank you again.
Bill

Skype behaves differently on the Nokia to Windows XP. Skype support tell me I have to contact Nokia. I can't contact Nokia as their contact page times out on me.

My question is about the software and why the features I am used to seeing on one platform (PC) are not seen on another (Nokia N800).

With the lack of a user guide that points out the issues about chat whilst talking to the same person I am left to think that it is a Skype software design fault. It has little to do with the hardware, other than of course some one has ported Skype to it.

When I start a call from the Nokia N800 I can't get to chat unless I disconnect the call. I can then chat. If I am in chat I can't start a call. From chat I can't answer a call coming in.

I get a window over the chat screen with the phone pad but I can't return to chat although I can view the text coming in.

In Windows I am used to using chat to send image files and text that I can then talk about.

Gerald