I received my N900 today i have the same problem wondering if its a software bug or more of a hardware issue

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Seattle, WA, USA
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
I also want to confirm if the location server under, network positioning is correct. Is the location server suppose to be supl.nokia.com?
supl.nokia.com doesn't work very well for a lot of people on T-Mobile. Luckily, it seems that Google's server does.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey guys, Hello.
I just want to know if it even possible to use the GPS at somewhere without wifi connection or without credits in your sim card.

I tried to get mine locked yesterday without data connection and it took 20mins but still not locked. So is this normal or not?

I have seen the N95 locked in in just 5mins without data connection aid. Why can't the N900 do the same?

This is a known problem, you should vote for it in bugzilla:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026
Apparently the can't lock without network connection, that's definitely a bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
first, they must speed up Maps.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
first, they must speed up Maps.
I think that before the speeding up they should make Ovi Maps 3 compatible with the N900, so that we could search for locations without any network connection. Even before, of course, the offline Gps lock...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I thought my n900 GPS is faulty at first but I guess it just nokia at fault right now.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
I think that before the speeding up they should make Ovi Maps 3 compatible with the N900, so that we could search for locations without any network connection. Even before, of course, the offline Gps lock...
Please remember that the Ovi Maps version numbering for N900 and S60 (or any other platform) is completely different. In fact they are essentially two parallel products...so I don't think that we will see "Ovi Maps 3" ported over to N900...but we can see *features* from Ovi Maps 3 being ported to Ovi Maps for N900.

But I agree that Ovi Maps on N900 could get some love and be vastly improved (I'm missing the good old Maps application from the N800 )

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
hello,
maby its bug, maby not. I using offline ovi maps, but whene try use gps without GPRS or WiFi device cant find satellites(waiting ~10 mins). try search in google but cant find answer.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
this has been addressed in several threats, theres also a bug report on it in bugzilla.

I believe it has something to do with ovi, that stops searching for gps after 30sec, other apps (ecoach) has successfully gotten a gps location with out any online assistance.

Try using the advanced search feature in the menu on the right, and see if you can find some threats to read up on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mthmob For This Useful Post:

Tags
lack of quality control