OMG :O
just OMG , saw this video on facebook , thought to share this OMG video :P

The Following User Says Thank You to eefo For This Useful Post:
i should write only:
OMG
but the message was too short

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
who cares about the message when the video is tooo awesome :P

Funny, I was just thinking about that a lot (future mobile technology), and was imagining pretty much the same things.

I believe that our "phones" of the future are going to be true multi-purpose devices (even more so than they already are), with form factors based on convenience rather than technical necessity.

Especially with NFC, so many things become possible: Your phone/multi-card-thingy can entirely replace your wallet by being your ID, your cash, and your credit card. The key to everything, up to your bicycle lock. Your bus pass. Your airplane or concert ticket. Almost everything will be "touchable" to receive interactive information. Authentication shouldn't require more than your fingerprint. Anything captured or heard can be translated on the fly.

There is no need for physical buttons, as gestures, touch, and voice are perfectly suitable substitutes.

Essentially, I believe that future devices will be more and more designed to remove distractions and clutter from daily life, and shift our attention away from the gadgets and back towards actual life. We are already well on our way there, but not everyone is seeing it yet.

The iPhone certainly made the biggest step into that direction, but if you ask me, the new MeeGo device is going to be the closest yet to that reality. Of course this is just the beginning, and this is why I love technology. I find such visions so much more exciting than squabbling over software development ideologies or remote administration of servers via SSH.

So whether it will be Apple, Microsoft, or Open Source technology that will get us there... I really couldn't care less. Let's just make it happen!

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
There is no need for physical buttons, as gestures, touch, and voice are perfectly suitable substitutes.
Some of us still want buttons. We want the tactile feel of something solid for some uses, something that should not wear out as fast as touchscreens tend to.

Of course, smart cell phone manufacturers will enable a peripheral ecosystem around their devices. Slide-on game controller sleeves for example.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
In the end she left that mobile device at home and enjoy her walk under sunset. The message is so subtle: this damn device is hard to use and no fun.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Or: There are more important things in life than gadgets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I miss my D-pad. *sniff*
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I miss my D-pad. *sniff*
I couldn't agree more. I miss my N810...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
All this talk about "intuitive" and "gestures" is baloney. Buttons are discrete and achieve a pre-determined outcome. They are predictable and reliable. Making devices more "humanized" means making them less reliable as well.

Sometimes I wish humans had buttons.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:

Tags
futurama, speculation