Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
I have also navigated to my favorites only. The addresses are standard English characters. I did have a solid position fix each time. It fails constantly. I have also noticed that it displays: Preparing navigation voice: 0% all the time with the clean reinstall.

In addition I have tried qwazer app on n900 and it is able to pull the directions from the servers (altough it seems that that's all it does in terms of functionality so far)
"Preparing navigation voice: 0%" is for the vocal reading of the street names (TTS or Text To Speech) - that means that in the settings you have Voice Navigation set to Full.
It should not affect the routing calculation.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
@damagedspline with regards to the 20% battery reaming bug (despite there being much more charge). There are times when I get the bug. A reboot has always stopped it from happening again for a good while. I keep forgetting to post back about it.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
@damagedspline

A little bit offtopic, but not really. I understand you're not representative for Waze, but just compiling/porting it for us, maemo users, so big thanks again. Do you know what's the deal with the v3 change. Apparently, they don't publish the source code anymore, and they have stated that the license of version 3 is not more GPL. They are closing the source? It becomes proprietary ? If this is true...I will not have reason to contribute anymore to this app on my N900. Do you have more information about wtf they are doing and is this the future of waze (free as in beer, not as in freedom proprietary app)?

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MiCRoPhoBIC View Post
@damagedspline

A little bit offtopic, but not really. I understand you're not representative for Waze, but just compiling/porting it for us, maemo users, so big thanks again. Do you know what's the deal with the v3 change. Apparently, they don't publish the source code anymore, and they have stated that the license of version 3 is not more GPL. They are closing the source? It becomes proprietary ? If this is true...I will not have reason to contribute anymore to this app on my N900. Do you have more information about wtf they are doing and is this the future of waze (free as in beer, not as in freedom proprietary app)?
The point of waze is that it was based of opensource project by some Israeli guy and they couldn't change the license, they probably re-write it and changed it. I think they want some profit and even if not selling app, they want to be in full control of that. And i think it's major problem for dev to switch to v3 API, but you what do you mean but "I will not have reason to contribute anymore to this app on my N900." ?

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Disappointed from waze policy...(i heard also that the real goal of the project is to use voluntary work of the users, taking user's gps tracks, edits, and reports on street names etc., to create a proprietary map like navteq and teleatlas)

So i have a question for software programmers ('cause im not): would be possible to use the original gpl code of waze to make a different version of the program that help openstreetmap project (www.openstreetmap.org) instead of Waze Inc. ?

At least OSM is cc-by-sa project and the coverage of map is also good...we can still have traffic reports on osm maps...and possibily users can improve osm reporting wrong street name etc, or uploading gps tracks on osm server. (ps: waze editor on their site is very similar to osm's Potlatch)

It will be possible or too much hard work?

a good name can be Maze...

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MiCRoPhoBIC View Post
@damagedspline

as @zogg pointed out, waze 3.0 was rewritten from scratch and thus they are no longer bounded by GPL rules.
note that waze was never true opensource as there was no mainline source repository that allowed you to commit fixes/features.
the source is not open but the maps are in the way that u can freely use and edit thier maps and commit changes to it.
i also dont understand the contribute part....

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
Disappointed from waze policy...(i heard also that the real goal of the project is to use voluntary work of the users, taking user's gps tracks, edits, and reports on street names etc., to create a proprietary map like navteq and teleatlas)

So i have a question for software programmers ('cause im not): would be possible to use the original gpl code of waze to make a different version of the program that help openstreetmap project (www.openstreetmap.org) instead of Waze Inc. ?

At least OSM is cc-by-sa project and the coverage of map is also good...we can still have traffic reports on osm maps...and possibily users can improve osm reporting wrong street name etc, or uploading gps tracks on osm server. (ps: waze editor on their site is very similar to osm's Potlatch)

It will be possible or too much hard work?

a good name can be Maze...
it is possible to do what u suggest, in fact in my 'new waze' demo with the demo data i have made a similar thing (not released yet and probably never will) - using osm maps and put the waze traffic reports on top of it, so its kinda osm/waze hybrid. I have no idea how to implement the osm map server with fixes. Remember that its is just a demo with real map but with dummy traffic data. Anyway to make it really work is about half a year of work so maybe once i'm done with the new ui integration to the waze-qt project i will start rolling things up that way to detach from the closed sourced waze.

in the mean while i have postponed the new ui infavor of another rewrite of the network layer (mainly webservices accessors) to fix the routing faliure issue. I already have something that work but crash a lot, ao once i fix the crashes i will release a package for the affected N900 which u can test and report network (and only network) related issues before i release it officially.

since i need to evacuate my apartment this week and my new apartment is not ready yet, the release might take another week or 2.

Last edited by damagedspline; 2012-06-23 at 21:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to damagedspline For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
For "contributing part" I mean all the waze map edits I have made, routes I have draw, even little villages. My contribution to waze until now is very little, but I have discovered this software 2 months ago and I have planned to help much with building full map of Bulgaria. Right now only 5-6 of our big cities are on the map, and the map needs much much contributions and edits to be full ...and then accurate. I can say that for Bulgaria it is about 5% done, so much contributions needed.
But now I won't do it...if waze is proprietary, I'm not willing to contribute to closed source.

OpenStreetMaps sounds like good idea...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiCRoPhoBIC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by damagedspline View Post
1) the ability to disable auto set for day and night already exist in map settings if i remember correctly
The setting does exist, but is lost when the application is closed.
2) you can also change the schema files yourself, its quite easy. set the colors in /opt/waze/data/skins/default/night/schema and copy the new file as MyDocs/.waze/skins/default/night/schema . i promise to add it
Thanks, I'll have a look at those files.
3) please set the log level to 1 (search this thread for instructions) make it crash again and upload the log to the issue tracker in the waze-qt project at google code. i will check it out
I added the line 'General.Log level: 1' to '~/MyDocs/.waze/preferences' although I had to create the file as it did not exist.
It took a few days, but Waze crashed again at the same spot. I will upload the postmorten to the issue tracker shortly.

Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
The setting does exist, but is lost when the application is closed.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those files.

I added the line 'General.Log level: 1' to '~/MyDocs/.waze/preferences' although I had to create the file as it did not exist.
It took a few days, but Waze crashed again at the same spot. I will upload the postmorten to the issue tracker shortly.
in the latest version the log level property is actually 'Log%20level' under the [%20General] section. I'll update the first post with this info once i'll finish with the relocation

EDIT: also the path changed and is now ~/MyDocs/.waze/data/preferences.ini

Last edited by damagedspline; 2012-06-28 at 04:26. Reason: Also wrong path...