Active Topics

Hi everyone, I'm a noob here, please be patient with me

First of all, Let me emphasize that I DO NOT WANT the pc connectivity feature of the pc suite or whatever, I am speaking about the opposite: using my PC's internet connection in N900 as described here: http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking
And I KNOW that I can't access internet in GUI without libicd-whatever. I'm doing all these on console.
I've already read many topics here. None of them was what I want.

I've set up the things as the wiki page http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking explained, and had a problematic time setting the network in Windows 7. What I've done so far:
  • On N900, installed MADDE and set the recommended ip settings (default values were ok) go to USB Networking and choose Windows Network. I changed the appropriate files explained, too.
  • On Win7, Installed the Linux USB whatever/whatever/RNDIS driver and used the registry hack mentioned in the wiki. Turned off any firewall and antivirus.
  • Right clicked on my PC connection with internet access (LAN1) and Properties -> Sharing -> checked both checkboxes. Windows now automatically set the IP of my Linux RNDIS connection to 192.168.137.1. This was not mentioned in the WIKI. Is that ok?
  • Set the IPv4 of the Linux RNDIS to 192.168.2.14 and removed the automatic 192.168.137.1 thing.
  • Now I'm able to ping 8.8.8.8 (or any other IP address) on the N900 terminal. However, I cannot ping any domain name such as `ping www.google.com`.

So I think something is wrong with DNS configuration. Even if I set the DNS in Win7 in the IPv4 settings dialog, it doesn't work.

/etc/resolve.conf on the device looks like this:
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.1(CR)
nameserver 8.8.8.8(CR)
nameserver 8.8.4.4(no CR here)
Any ideas?

Last edited by Hossein; 2012-09-10 at 13:58. Reason: Solved

Okay guys, found it myself. For future reference:
  • Make sure you disable your firewall, etc before connecting N900. Eset kept blocking it even after disabling.
  • After sharing your internet connection, the IP of the N900 adapter changes to 192.168.1.137. You should either use this IP in MADDE (I did't try) or simply right click the N900 adapter and change the IP back to the default 192.168.2.14 in the IPv4 configuration dialog (make sure you choose 'Advanced' in that dialog and remove the additional IP's, if any). In the latter case, after each restart you have to disable sharing then enable it again on your connection with Internet and change the IP.
  • The wiki page needs editing especially sections regarding Windows; I may do it in future if I have free time.

Last edited by Hossein; 2012-09-10 at 14:04. Reason: Removed mistake