On my N900 i could pointthe browser to full web pages and it would not goto the mobile pages unless i told it do.

my N9 goes to the mobile pages when i do not want it to, even if trick it into going to a full page, as soon az i click anything it goes to the mobile anyway.

is there a way to keep this from happenining?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Id like to know this too

The N9 is behaving like other consumer smartphones. It assumes you want the mobile pages. Why wouldn't you anyway? The non-mobile pages are very hard to read on a phone screen.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
you can zoom and/or turn to landscape, thats what I do with N900

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
The N9 is behaving like other consumer smartphones. It assumes you want the mobile pages. Why wouldn't you anyway? The non-mobile pages are very hard to read on a phone screen.
there may be lots of reasons, one being that mobile versions may lack content/features that the full web page has.

for n900 there is "hide user agent" which let's you customize the user-agent string. i suppose something similar should be possible to code for harmattan as well.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Also, I bet the N9/N950 browser is a friggin' powerhouse. It can handle your puny desktop sites. Minus flash ofcourse.

At the moment I think its more a problem of sites not really recognizing the N9. For eg. in the first two weeks of the N9, Twitter went from the horrific m.twitter.com site to the mobile.twitter.com site that seems to utilise HTML5. It has nice drop-down menus etc.

So, maybe we will have to wait and see. But I would really appreciate a "Hide user agent" app while we wait...

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
You can also blame the networks for imprisoning themselves in their little world of WAP. The majority of networks now only offer as little as 250MB data allowance, rising to 750MB for some extortionate costs.

Opera 11 now has it's own built in user agent control, but not sure where things stand with the N9, because Maemo Opera is a development that's being run outside of official opera development.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kev187 View Post
On my N900 i could pointthe browser to full web pages and it would not goto the mobile pages unless i told it do.

my N9 goes to the mobile pages when i do not want it to, even if trick it into going to a full page, as soon az i click anything it goes to the mobile anyway.

is there a way to keep this from happenining?
There's no user agent switch-ability yet...
I think I saw it mentioned as coming on konttori's blog, check it out.

A little birdy told me the latest build of Fennec's a great alternative
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3647&page=10
Not a perfect match for Harmattan's UI of course...

Opera not so bad too....
http://sandst1.wordpress.com/2011/07...for-harmattan/
Although it's not yet optimized for Harmattan's UI.
Yet to hear from them about an official release.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-29 at 09:28.