Notices

Forgive me my ignorance, but can I play mp3 files in folders without adding them to playlists? Is it possible to automatically play nested folders?

Originally Posted by belanger View Post
It looks as if you're saying that getting the lyrics and embedding them is easier than just getting the lyrics, which sounds odd.

Does some music come with the lyrics embedded in the tags? That's pretty neat.
There are a few programs that will automatically grab the lyrics for you and embed them into the mp3 file for you. Less that I know of that will grab the lyrics and put them in a file named the same as the song in the same folder as the song.

For an example, of the latter. There's a lyrics screenlet for anyone that uses screenlets (imagine Widgets). If works with most default music programs in Linux (Amarok, Banshee, RhythmBox, etc..) and it'll grab the lyrics of whatever song that's playing and put it into a folder named the same as the song file name (e.g. if it's bob then the lyrics will be in a file named bob). Then I just copy and paste it into there.

But there are also programs like Minilyrics which will grab the lyrics and integrate them into the mp3 file automatically.

If there's another solution I am unaware of for easy populating of lyrics then please let me know. And I will have info on how lyrics are done (when integrating into mp3 files) soon (just need to boot into Windows sometime since Minilyrics is Windows only).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by godd View Post
Forgive me my ignorance, but can I play mp3 files in folders without adding them to playlists? Is it possible to automatically play nested folders?
Yes, you can browse folders with the folder browser (top-left icon looking like a folder on the menu panel). There you can play files from anywhere in the filesystem. For playing nested folders, you'd need to put the folders into a playlist, though.

Using Songbird with one of the lyrics plugins that saves to the file. MP3tag shows the file as..

Unsynced Lyrics:
Code:
XXX||Its hard to have strength when theres nothing to eat
And its hard to eat when you dont have the teeth
And how, when you lose the one thing you love
Theres nothing below and theres nothing above.

Well,Ive been going through changes
Ive been going through changes
With nothing at all.

Its hard to accept what you dont understand
And its hard to launch without knowing how to land
And how, when it burns, you cant change a thing
You can soften the blow, but you cant stop the sting

And,Ive been going through changes
With nothing at all.
Nothing at all
Nothing at all

Well,I'm still yours even if youre not mine
I stare at the floor and I study the lines
Oh I took my place at the back of the crowd
Baby I couldnt see, but at least it was loud.
At least it was loud...

And,Ive been going through changes

And I know that I needed changes
But not this, cause this is not painless
no, this is not painless
Nothing at all
It seems Minilyrics does the same thing (it offers both sync and unsynched) saving to the file. As well as saving it to the same folder with the same file name.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
I can't seem to get lyrics to work. I have LRC files in the directory where the mp3 is, named the same as the mp3, but it always shows no lyrics found. The lyric files were created by minilyrics.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
I can't seem to get lyrics to work. I have LRC files in the directory where the mp3 is, named the same as the mp3, but it always shows no lyrics found. The lyric files were created by minilyrics.
Can you post a few lines of such a LRC file here? Maybe they're not valid LRC after all?
Plain lyrics are not supported yet; only LRC lyrics with time tags.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Can you post a few lines of such a LRC file here? Maybe they're not valid LRC after all?
Plain lyrics are not supported yet; only LRC lyrics with time tags.
OK here is the beginning of the file:

Code:
[ar:Scorpions]
[ti:The Game Of Life]
[Encoding:iso-8859-15]
[00:03.28] THE GAME OF LIFE

[00:05.46]      Klaus Meine, Desmond Child, Mikael Nord Anderson and  Martin Hansen 

[00:07.03]      

[00:17.15]      The time has come

[00:19.90]      For me to talk to you

[00:25.78]      And I don't mean

[00:27.28]      To hurt your pride

[00:32.34]      But everybody needs a friend sometimes

[00:39.21]      To make you see the light
They seem to conform to the syntax documented by wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRC_(file_format)

Last edited by bluesubaru; 2009-06-16 at 23:34. Reason: added info

wow! what an improvement in 0.96.5. the thumb bars are great, being able to search within a playlist, soft keyboard, being able to create a playlist for bookmarked files. the startup time is MUCH faster for me now (~22 sec v. 2 MINUTES on the last version). a couple of problems/suggestions:
1. hardware button control of seeking is great. it isn't working for me though; the time will initially jump forward by about 15 secs, but when you let go of the button it ends up in the same section of the stream that you started in. this is for mp3's. on ogg's it seems to work correctly.
2. love the scrollbars. in "car" view, i'd still like a fat thumbable seek bar and indicator.
3. any way to remember what song/playlist was loaded, and where you were in a stream when MB closes, and then revert to that upon opening again?
4. i haven't played around with it enough yet, but when you open a bookmark, it only loads that file, instead of loading the playlist that that file was a part of?

again, keep up the great work! MB is finally fast enough and robust enough to be my sole music program. oh, is there a change log anywhere? i'm sure there are some new features that i haven't found yet on my own...

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This looks like there's a invalidly encoded tag in a file.
Running MediaBox -vvv >err.txt might reveal more information.

But it's bad that this error causes MediaBox to hang. I'll investigate this.
Thanks for reporting.
Should have said, I tried -vvv but it didn't help. I patched tagreader to print out the file name as it tries to read each file, and believe I found the culprit. It appears to have just ID3v1, and contains (output of hexdump):

Code:
0034a250  54 41 47 48 65 75 74 20  49 73 74 20 4d 65 69 6e  |TAGHeut Ist Mein|
0034a260  20 54 61 67 20 20 20 20  20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  | Tag            |
0034a270  20 42 6c fc 6d 63 68 65  6e 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  | Bl.mchen       |
That "fc" byte must be doing it. It should be a u-umlaut, and indeed "fc" is a u-umlaut, in Windows 1252 encoding. Removing that one file lets the index scan process complete.

But when I navigate to the directory containing all these files, and try to make a playlist from it (to do a shuffle all), it still only ends up holding 445 items instead of the 1500 it should.

Figured out my remaining smaller-than-expected playlist issue.

In PlaylistDevice.py function __add_item_to_playlist, there is a check for "if (count[0] >= 500): return". It appears to be some sort of anti-infinite-loop check. The arrangement of directories and files meant that after skipping directories and adding 445 files, this check passed and adding stopped. I bumped it up to 5000, ran again, and saw a playlist more like I expected .

Tags
fmradio, mediabox, upnp, youtube