Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Just remember: it's "security," but not for you.
I'm interested on the security platform as a security researcher, not only for my own usage. So I'm more interested about what can be done to secure usage in both private and business uses.

Interested in how “hardened” the device is (stuff like address randomization, W^X, etc.)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
FOSDEM'10: Maemo 6 platform security
http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/373780/1b98fb582ab0249c/

(LWN subscriber-only content - let me pay this off with a little advertisement below)

Welcome to LWN.net

The following subscription-only content has been made available to you by an LWN subscriber. Thousands of subscribers depend on LWN for the best news from the Linux and free software communities. If you enjoy this article, please consider accepting the trial offer on the right. Thank you for visiting LWN.net!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Thanks! (fortunately for me, since I'm a Debian developer, I have a LWN account)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
thx for the link; i have to admit i was worried about the restrictions management in M6, but this one paragraph makes me happy:

Users can also switch between the open and closed modes (e.g. between a 'community' kernel and Nokia's kernel), so that after working in the open mode, users can return to the DRM-protected mode to play some music. If the application doesn't use the protected storage but just stores its data as plain files in the file system, like most non-commercial applications will do, those files are accessible in both modes. Switching modes requires rebooting the device, though, because the checks for the integrity of the software are done by the boot loader.
previous documentation had made it clear users could switch from one mode to another. this is the first time i read users can switch back and forth and that unrestricted files will be available in both modes. (another possibility would have been that once you un-DRMed your device, you couldn't get back to "comes with music"-mode... or that your own non-DRMed photos aren't accessible in open mode when you shot them in restricted mode. all of that doesn't seem to be the case.)

the article is interesting for end users like me, too, not only for developers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Does the N900 have the "hardware enabler: the ARM TrustZone security extension to the ARM Cortex-A8 processor" mentioned in that LWN.net article?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Does the N900 have the "hardware enabler: the ARM TrustZone security extension to the ARM Cortex-A8 processor" mentioned in that LWN.net article?
Yes. Well, at least it should, though I didn't check by myself.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ helsinki, Finland
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I uploaded the presentation here:

http://www.slideshare.net/reshetov/m...ecurity-fosdem

The video of the presentation should be soon available on FOSDEM site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elena Reshetova For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much

there are videos from fosdem 10 up now at http://video.fosdem.org/

Elena Reshetovas talk "Maemo 6 Platform Security": http://video.fosdem.org/2010/maintracks/maemo.xvid.avi

Last edited by mannakiosk; 2010-02-12 at 11:42.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mannakiosk For This Useful Post:
Talking about user restrictions of a future release of Maemo might not be the best move especially if you use marketing terms as PC-like and OpenSource.

Good luck dealing with GPLv3.