Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
I just the article on www.gsmarena.com....
http://www.gsmarena.com/meego_availa...-news-1691.php

Wht is happening...first It was announced That no meego for N900 now..they say Its THERE partially.....Is IT YES OR NO!!! IN OR OUT!!!

WHATS REALLY HAPPENEING!!!!!

Just read the threads on the topic. Please

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post

Wht is happening...first It was announced That no meego for N900 now..they say Its THERE partially.....Is IT YES OR NO!!! IN OR OUT!!!

WHATS REALLY HAPPENEING!!!!!
There will be no official supported version of meego for the N900 released by Nokia but there will be unofficial development \ test \ community builds of meego for the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to matrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
maybe nokia had put down their crack pipe and decide to give us maemo too.who knows,............

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

It appears that Nokia is using the N900 as a test bed / developer device to get it ready to ship officially on a future phone. There will not be an official commercial release of Meego for the N900. There is a group of people, including some who work for Nokia & work on Meego, working to release Meego for the N900. One of the big issues is that quite a few components of Maemo & now Meego are closed source apps, binary blobs & various bits licensed from other companies.

This has been a MAJOR issue with trying to create community supported versions of Maemo. Would you want to run Meego on your N900 if it didn't support Flash, phone functionality, wireless, bluetooth, etc. Reverse engineering chips in order to write drivers for them is a decidedly non-trivial task. Until Nokia makes a clear commitment to open up components that are currently closed, I am highly, highly skeptical that we will ever see a community supported version of Meego for the N900 that any regular user would want to run.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
It appears that Nokia is using the N900 as a test bed / developer device to get it ready to ship officially on a future phone. There will not be an official commercial release of Meego for the N900. There is a group of people, including some who work for Nokia & work on Meego, working to release Meego for the N900. One of the big issues is that quite a few components of Maemo & now Meego are closed source apps, binary blobs & various bits licensed from other companies.

This has been a MAJOR issue with trying to create community supported versions of Maemo. Would you want to run Meego on your N900 if it didn't support Flash, phone functionality, wireless, bluetooth, etc. Reverse engineering chips in order to write drivers for them is a decidedly non-trivial task. Until Nokia makes a clear commitment to open up components that are currently closed, I am highly, highly skeptical that we will ever see a community supported version of Meego for the N900 that any regular user would want to run.
True...Very true!

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
think of it in the same way Opera was released for N900. Its not a offivial release but will have more or less the same features as the offiial release as some of the people working on it are employed by the actual software developers be it Opera or Nokia.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post
You just accidentally a whole coka cola bottle?

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

Important thing to notice is that the group you mention also deals and makes solutions for the blobs in question, including working to open source what we can. It isn't Nokia guys working in their free time on this only.

Think of MeeGo as Intel, Nokia, other companies and the rest of us working as one community to provide a product. Then things start making sense.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
You just accidentally a whole coka cola bottle?
hehehehe...I missed the Word "Read" ....