I can't figure out how to change the background for the screen lock! (When your N900 is on standby and you click the Power button)

It's always defaulted to the N900 original theme/wallpaper even when I changed the wallpaper.

you can't change the screen. hopefully one day there would be improvements to that screen so you can have your own background as well as details of missed calls and received messages.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
you can't change the screen. hopefully one day there would be improvements to that screen so you can have your own background as well as details of missed calls and received messages.
But surely it must be referencing some file which can be replaced via the xterm.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
There must be a code in a file that specifically tells the device to load that image up..Especially as Venomrush has stated that he is now using a new background..?

What happens if you just rename/move the Blue Splash wallpaper and put whatever you want in its place?

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
Could be onto something there..

However being able to actually find the file would open up possibilities on an app being created for this purpose.

3 steps ahead..

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
No solution for this prob?

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bushey, Herts, UK.
the lock slider background is located in the relevant theme folder
for the nseries theme it is in

/usr/share/themes/alpha/lockslider.png

you could change this via xterm,
i haven't tried it yet but i have extracted it to my pc to try editing.
I'm not too good at graphic stuff so I'll upload it here.

this is for the nseries theme and is only the background,
I haven't found the slider part yet
Attached Images

Last edited by qwertyberty; 2009-12-28 at 10:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwertyberty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Black Country
I have tried some of the alternative themes from the extras-devel repository and they give a different background for the lock screen.

I'm assuming this works in a similar fashion to themes on a normal Gnome desktop on Linux so it is quite likely that it's easy to change this.

If you're new to Linux then it's handy to differentiate the difference between backgrounds and themes. When switching the background on the N900 all you're really changing is the wallpaper on the desktops. Themes encompass a wider variety of changes to the UI. So for example, buttons, icons and it appears the lock screen.

I haven't got round to building a custom theme for mine yet. As an example here's my current lock screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliticalPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
judging by qwertybertys post: the "bar" is part of the background/wallpaper and the "button" you swipe is an element of its own?

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post: