Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Thanks for the dedicated thread. Is it possible to open a dedicated forum section here as well? (I understood that the idea of going as far as opening a separate forum didn't get enough interest yet). Instead of maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > MeeGo / Harmattan to make it maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > Nemo Mobile. I don't think it's too hard for administrators to do, and will make things much neater IMO (for example it won't push putting all topics into one thread, and will allow opening many threads dedicated to Nemo specifically without cluttering the Harmattan section).
I suggested that the announce thread too...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...77#post1128577
Perhaps the mods will do when they next have time.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-02 at 16:19.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mece View Post
On topic, what size and type of cards are you using for Nemo? I've only got a few class4 cards and meego took quite a while to load on those. I've list my card reader so o have to get to the shops anyway.
I used an 8gb class 10, back when my n900 was operational.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Nemo progress on HP touchpad:
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...g-hp-touchpad/

Should there be a separate layout / theme for tablets in contrast with handset one?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Should there be a separate layout / theme for tablets in contrast with handset one?
Some of my work on lipstick may help enable things like that, but I'm not prioritising it right now, in favor of getting core functionality working (and working sexy), when I have time.

Last edited by w00t; 2011-11-29 at 10:00. Reason: trim quote

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland

I would urge everyone who enjoys getting their hands dirty on their N900 to treat themselves a Touchpad while they can. Amazing piece of hardware for the price.

WebOS itself is rather nice, and there's good solid community (Preware) in a similar style to Maemo (albeit maverick, as it's not as closely related to Palm, now HP), but the speed at which Cyanogen have been able to get Android 2.3 running on it (and it runs very well - they are humble in their description of "Alpha status"), plus the ability to chroot (Ubuntu runs nicely on it) makes it a great "toy".

You do not have to soil yourself with an ipad, or expensive Android brick to get into the tablet game. And the amount of wheeeeeeeeeee fun you can have VNCing to you N900 and having Maemo run on a 9.7" makes you a) flutter a little inside and b) feel sad that Nokia never pushed out a large screen tablet running Fremantle.

But I digress. All I'd like to say is Nemo on Touchpad is superb news.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement

Please please please... i'm so interested in having the full gstreamer etc. plugin set (especially container formats), full libpurple protocol sets, and so on instead of the crippled webOS functionality.

It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained, while no one fixes the support for something in the OS / frameworks itself. That is, f.e. Kalemsoft Media player plays more formats than webOS' gstreamer integration provides, but of course only when you install their own streaming solution on the server which, of course, is available for Windows only. No one seems interested in fixing gstreamer-0.10 and i don't understand much of the code for where to hook into.

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
WebOS itself is rather nice, and there's good solid community (Preware) in a similar style to Maemo (albeit maverick, as it's not as closely related to Palm, now HP), but the speed at which Cyanogen have been able to get Android 2.3 running on it (and it runs very well - they are humble in their description of "Alpha status"), plus the ability to chroot (Ubuntu runs nicely on it) makes it a great "toy".
<insert barf here>

No no no hell no. Maybe it was for the Pre etc., but IMHO not for the TouchPad! This community here (Maemo/Mer et al) is _much_ more competent than the one for webOS, not only for the technical background you have but especially because you guys seem to be much capable and WILLING to work with the community instead of trying to commercialize your half-baked self-contained "apps" in the stores, without caring for the OS and supporting open standards/interfaces/frameworks.

Most of the patches you'll get from PreWare are relatively simple Javacsript things, and no one seems to be interested to port the Pre stuff. Running Mojo programs in the "emulator" window is just.. meh. Changing uiRevision from '1' to '2' is not all; scenes need to have an "Back" button to etc. and even then the UI is just ugly scaled.

The OS itself doesn't even provide scrollbar / page indictor support, as far as i read...

Anyway, enough OT.

Technical Question: how is the installation procedure for Nemo on the TouchPad? (Just out of curiosity) I don't know about what kind of bootloader HP used etc.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-11-29 at 10:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained
I'll admit, that is a real pain. There's no long term future for webOS, but I still think in hardware terms, it's got a lot going for it. We just need to release the shackles.

BTW - to solve the streaming issue, with the latest update (3.04 I think), HP improved the codec support. While you still have the mp4 container issue, support for video codecs is greatly improved, so much so that all you need to do is demux your mkv, or divx content, and remux into an mp4 container and it will play very nicely, streaming over HTTP.

So, in effect, I have apache running on my local server (which is also running serviio for the rest of my DLNA empire), serving the mp4 versions of my files.

Pretty simple to do (pre-req is to have ffmpeg installed):

Code:
ffmpeg -i someMoviewOrOther.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy someMovieOrOther.mp4
Vigorous use of find will allow you to convert a whole raft of content if required.

Then browse to the content using the touchpad's browser, click on the mofo and whooooooof, served content in glorious 9.7". 720p content plays back nicely assuming you've got a decent wireless router.

Even nicer is the fact that the codec support means that it will play BBC Iplayer content (using get_iplayer) streamed across HTTP as well in the same manner, without any ffmpeg gymnastics.

I stick with webOS for media purposes and while I am still a bit iffy about Amazon Kindle (I'm an fbreader man), after using fontforge to masquerade the Ubuntu font as Verdana, I'm a lot happy with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...using Serviio too, and the N900 happily plays along with it. I like it for it's clean minimal UI, and for supporting multiple platforms.

I'm working around the issue currently using CIFS with the Drive Mapper, as i have no dedicated home server for now (it's planned), but only my Win 7 x64 workstation. So no ffmpeg solution for now (time etc. restriction).

The Serviio guys stated that MP4 container is not stream-friendly, especially opening it while still writing to a partial container. i'm not that much into such details, this would need more effort to delve into on my side.

AFAIK they implemented support for WMA and OGG/FLAC only in 3.0.4? There was no record of improved video codec support. Do you have a reference? There's a 3.0.5 in the wild too...

Anyway, i apologize for capturing the thread.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
The Serviio guys stated that MP4 container is not stream-friendly, especially opening it while still writing to a partial container. i'm not that much into such details, this would need more effort to delve into on my side.

AFAIK they implemented support for WMA and OGG/FLAC only in 3.0.4? There was no record of improved video codec support. Do you have a reference? There's a 3.0.5 in the wild too...

Anyway, i apologize for capturing the thread.
Aye - agreed about the thread hijack. I shall have a look for a TP thread elsewhere on the forum. In the meantime, I beleive there were improvements (rather than additions) to mp4 support in terms of B-frames (can't remember the specifics). I'll dig out the thread related to this, but I remember reading it and thinking "Oooh - they'll work now". And they did.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
can we use the N950 nemo image on N9?