Active Topics

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
This topic is to exchange information about Python on Mer/Nemo. From developer's and user's point of view.

Python modules and softwares available on Mer/Nemo

The Sailfish/Python Development wiki page has almost all the Python packages also compatible with Mer/Nemo.

From gitweb.merproject.org/gitweb and list of last Mer packages, we have on Mer :
- Python 2.7.5;
- modules boost-python, dbus-python, libuser-python, libxml2-python, pacrunner-python, pygobject2, pygpgme, python-M2Crypto, python-cairo, python-contextkit, python-deltarpm, python-devel, python-iniparse, python-libs, python-lcms, python-lxml, python-magic, python-markdown, python-pycurl, python-pygments, python-setuptools, python-solv, python-test, python-tools, python-urlgrabber, python-yaml, rpm-python.

From Nemo devel MW and MartinK Nemo repository :
- pygtk2, python-imaging, python-magic, python-numeric, pyOpenSSL, python-pyside, python-pyside-shiboken, python-qtmobility, python-twisted, python-zope-interface;
MartinK confirmed that python-pyside for Qt 4.8 on Mer/Nemo is working well, as well as PyGTK. So many Python with GUI softwares from Maemo 5 & MeeGo Harmattan can be ported to Mer/Nemo.
Softwares developed in Python with GUI (in Qt Quick/QML) :
- ModRana : flexible GPS navigation system (there is also a Gtk version).

From Khertan MeeGo repository (all work on Nemo, but not all are packaged to Mer/Nemo) :
- pyflakes, pylint, pypackager, python-autopep8, python-beautifulsoup, python-egenix-mxdatetime, python-jinja2, python-markupsafe, python-nose, python-pep8, python-sdist-maemo.
Softwares developed in Python with GUI (in Qt Quick/QML) :
- BitPurse : Blockchain.info Bitcoin wallet client;
- KhtNotes : note taking application;
- KhtSimpleText : plain/programming text editor.

From RColistete Mer repository :
- ipython 2.2.0 (complete with Notebook and text interfaces), depending on python-pyzmq (and its depency zeromq), python-tornado, python-jinja2, python-markupsafe;
- python-sympy 0.7.5;
- python-numpy 1.9.0 (without Fortran, BLAS and LAPACK);
- python-matplotlib 1.4.0 (with Agg and WebAgg backends) and the dependencies python-pyparsing, python-pytz, python-dateutil, python-six, python-tornado;
- python-uncertainties 2.4.6.

For comparison, here are the lists of Python Harmattan modules and of Python Maemo 5 packages.

Python wish-list for Mer/Nemo

I would like to see :
- python-pygame (with many dependencies);
- python-numpy (Python & C/C++, complete with Fortran, BLAS e LAPACK);
- cython (Python & C/C++).

Some of them I hope to package to Mer / Nemo / etc, but if anyone has already made it or plan to, please tell here in this topic.

Python packaging

It is nice to package pure Python softwares with simpler (than Mer SDK) packaging tools, like PyPackager (for Maemo & MeeGo Harmattan). Khertan confirmed PyPackager creates source with spec file needed by COBS to package rpm for Mer and Nemo.
Also MartinK cited modRana packaging scripts which can adapted to other softwares to be sent to COBS.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-09-25 at 14:14. Reason: IPython 2.2.0, NumPy 1.9.0, MatPlotLib 1.4.0, etc

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I'd like to see boost-python. And before somebody shouts "you are free to port it" at me, I'm just saying what I'd like. I do not need it for something and if I do I will well consider porting it.

If though someone else is considering porting it, maybe it's good to know if there's other people who could find that useful.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I'd like to see boost-python. And before somebody shouts "you are free to port it" at me, I'm just saying what I'd like. I do not need it for something and if I do I will well consider porting it.

If though someone else is considering porting it, maybe it's good to know if there's other people who could find that useful.
It is already available, I've forgotten to list it. I've fixed the above list.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
PyPackager is already available and can produce source package with spec file to be use witn COBS to produce rpm package for mer and Nemo mobile. And PySide is already available

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Is python-pyside for Qt 4.8 on Mer/Nemo working ? It is needed to port many Python GUI softwares from Maemo 5 & MeeGo Harmattan.
Yep, Pyside is present in the official Nemo repositories & there are already programs using it (from me & Khertan, maybe also from others ?).

BTW, this is the Nemo library repository. It is basically an overlay over the Mer repositories, so you don't see the Python modules that are part of Mer.

From (non-official ?) MartinK Nemo repository :
- pygtk2, python-magic, python-numeric, python-pyside, python-pyside-shiboken, python-qtmobility.
I can confirm that the PyGTK is really actually working just fine. The pyside-mobility package depends on how well QtMobility is implemented, so for example location is not yet working correctly (it caused a segfault last time I tried to use location ), but other functionality, such as screen blanking control seems to work fine.

Python packaging

It would nice to package pure Python softwares with simpler (than Mer SDK) packaging tools, like PyPackager (for Maemo & MeeGo Harmattan).
My modRana packaging scripts already support the generating Nemo specfiles for COBS (the support is based on modified code from Khertans amazing PyPackager ).

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Someone may pack and add this http://pypi.python.org/pypi/accountsSSO/0.0.7 to the list if account and signon libs are also included on mer

The Following User Says Thank You to inean For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
PyPackager is already available and can produce source package with spec file to be use witn COBS to produce rpm package for mer and Nemo mobile. And PySide is already available
Thanks Khertan. About your MeeGo COBS, which softwares are ok for Mer/Nemo ? I'm a little confused to know whether softwares are for MeeGo Harmattan or also Mer/Nemo.

UPDATE : Khertan answered by twitter, his MeeGo softwares also work on Mer/Nemo (but not all are packaged to Nemo). So I will also cite his softwares in the 1st post.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-04 at 19:33.

Also note that Meego COBS is slowly moving to Mer COBS.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Also note that Meego COBS is slowly moving to Mer COBS.
Good point ! How far is it by the way ? Will it work the same as the MeeGo COBS (just register, build a bunch of packages, get repositories for them & submit to Mer/Nemo/other project when ready) ?

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yep, Pyside is present in the official Nemo repositories & there are already programs using it (from me & Khertan, maybe also from others ?).
Thanks. I've cited ModRana in 1st post, and some softwares from Khertan, as examples of Python softwares with GUI (usually in QML).

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: