Active Topics

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
I spent a weekend working on Stskeeps' old prototype (with his help) and have successfully replicated it to have Wayland working on N950 (on top of Nemo). Much much thanks is due to him for his patience while working with me and for all of his help and support.

It's still quite early days and there's a lot of bugs and hacking to do, but it looks promising.

Source is at https://github.com/rburchell/ti-omap3-sgx-wayland-wsegl, but this is a provisional location, it'll likely move into nemomobile once it's cleaned up.

Last edited by w00t; 2013-06-04 at 09:59.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
P.S. The same source may also even work on N900. I don't have one still working to try it out, unfortunately.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Very cool. What driver does it use?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Very cool. What driver does it use?
The same one Nemo uses now. ti-omap3-sgx.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Update: the repository URL has changed. Link in the main post edited. I have experimental quality packaging in https://build.merproject.org/project...%3An9xx-common, complete with patching of ti-omap3-sgx's installation to ensure it's always pulled in.

What this means in practice: soon, with a bit more QA/testing, it will be possible to use Wayland on N9/N950 with Nemo through just editing /etc/powervr.ini. And once Nemo is in a position where we can jump to Wayland directly (hopefully not forever away...?) -- we can switch the default over ourselves.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Some instructions on how to try it out, given a Nemo device: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...9-N950/Wayland

NB! This can lead to you having to reinstall or troubleshoot without a working display if things change in the future. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, don't try this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
How about XWayland? Does that work?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
How about XWayland? Does that work?
not tried at all. feel free to kick the tyres and see what happens - if it breaks, you can keep the pieces.

(or alternatively report on it and we'll see what happens)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If you are running Nemo from ubiboot, here is a nice hack needed to fix the framebuffer problem in the kernel...

Background:
When you use Wayland instead of X11, the default framebuffer configuration of N9 is not correct. (that's 3 framebuffers, each sized 2MB)
Instead you would need to have one larger FB with 6MB of memory allocated to it.
The solution to this is to add kernel command line parameters "vram=6m omapfb.vram=0:6M", but the current implementation of ubiboot has automatically parsed command line with no option to add your own parameters to it.

Solution:
You can get around this by injecting the needed parameters as sedscript arguments to the command line mangler.
In ubiboot.conf there's the following line: G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init"
You need to change that to G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init\ vram\=6m\ omapfb.vram\=0\:6M"

In the next ubiboot release there will be a feature for appending your own command line arguments, but meanwhile you can use this hack to experiment with Wayland

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Is it possible to embed a wayland session into the X session (The whole system runs X, but you can run wayland stuff too)?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
nemo mobile, wayland