Active Topics

Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemans!

Since Jolla have some financial Problems atm, i think it would take some time till we see any newer version than 2.0.0.10, i want to play a little bit with Nemo Mobile on my Nokia N900.
Tha latest version that i found for N900 is: 0.20130620.0.1
My question is now?
How can i update it?
Setting the

ssu re latest

doesnt find some newer packages.

Setting the

ssu flavour devel

find approx. 480 packages but during the installation the n900 switch off and after the restart it runs worse than bevor update.
Is there a good starting point to bring nemo mobile to the newer stand and play a little bit with it?

I dont like the Plasma UI, so i didn't took the image which is linked to the Nemo/Mer Wiki. It seems also be older than

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Its unfortunately not possible to continue the development for N900. The graphics driver is too unstable and the hardware too limited to continue its vitality.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by locusf View Post
Its unfortunately not possible to continue the development for N900. The graphics driver is too unstable and the hardware too limited to continue its vitality.
Which brings us back to the original dilemma: many folks who want to run Mer have N900s. Folks who don't want to run Mer have more advanced Android devices. If Mer can only run on more advanced Android devices, nobody will want to run Mer...

Along this vein of thought, let me repeat a question I asked earlier: right now, exactly what hardware does Mer / Nemo run best on?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by locusf View Post

There goes the dream of revitalizing the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to cockroach For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cockroach View Post

There goes the dream of revitalizing the N9.
Nemo is quite functional on N9 AFAIK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Nemo is quite functional on N9 AFAIK
In that case I suppose I'll give it a try, last time I did I couldn't quite get it to work.

Still, if it's "not possible to continue the development for N900" that pretty much means that the current state is as far as we will get, doesn't it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cockroach For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cockroach View Post
In that case I suppose I'll give it a try, last time I did I couldn't quite get it to work.

Still, if it's "not possible to continue the development for N900" that pretty much means that the current state is as far as we will get, doesn't it?
Probably so. I is hard to reverse engineer binaries. And there might be legal issues distributing any such thing, if ever done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Indeed.

Which brings us more or less back to Copernicus' question: is there a decent (N9-ish) phone that Nemo does run on? Or is it mostly non-phone hardware at the moment?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cockroach For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Probably so. I is hard to reverse engineer binaries. And there might be legal issues distributing any such thing, if ever done.
What binaries are we talking about here?

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
There's nothing stopping you using some parts of the Mer userland tools and implementing a light weight GUI on top. I'm currently playing with it (repackaged for Debian Jessie) to look at feasibility of updated Maemo/Hildon GTK3.

Mer/Nemo MCE still has a legacy package for LED control etc. statefs is a little bit trickier as it requires Qt5 IIRC so may present a few issues in terms of performance but may actually solve some of the issues in Maemo port (eg xcb).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: