Active Topics

Originally Posted by drcouzelis View Post
Is Plasma Mobile (http://plasma-mobile.org/) an option? I really don't know much about it, but is seems like the benefits include:
  • Open source
  • Actively developed by a dedicated team
  • Supports X and Wayland
  • Configurable user interface
  • Ready to be tested now
  • Qt / QML

(Please let me know if any of this is inaccurate.)
it also seems to rely upon a number of nemomobile components, and other similar things in mer like wayland, ofono .etc

I think its perhaps even more immature than Ubuntu Touch, but in terms of a UI that isnt integrated into a full distro its likely the best bet at this point

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Plasma Mobile is still in early development, so the way it looks is really an ugly prototype. I'm sure it will change a lot.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
OIC! You mean a tablet for you! Not one to make money! You should have said so!
(Actually, I think you did, I may have gotten carried away a tad )

I absolutely agree with the minimalistic approach. Even Jolla came with too much bloat IMO. The only application a tablet needs out of the box is the application manager. (OK, a phone may be different for legal reasons as you must be able to make at least an emergency call but there is no such requirement for a tablet).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
OIC! You mean a tablet for you! Not one to make money! You should have said so!
You know, you're right: I haven't put enough of an emphasis on that point. I guess, the real question here should be:

If you yourself could create the perfect mobile UI for your own needs, what would it look like?

And really, given the demise now of FirefoxOS and the continuing troubles at Jolla, there seems more space than ever for folks uninterested in the Apple-Google duopoly to just give up and create their own personal mobile OS. That's certainly what I want to do.

And that also means that there's no longer any need to slavishly follow the path that Apple and Google have blazed; no need to spend massive amounts of time and effort on making the thing pretty, or incorporating a long list of features popular to average users, or really doing anything you'd need to do to satisfy investors. I guess what I really would like to know, is what people here, in their heart of hearts, would really like to see in a mobile UI: does the iOS / Android interface really appeal to you, or do you have a radically different view of what would be good?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
SailPi tablet concept can adapt to variety of choices, just say the word and I'll try to cook up something cool for RPi 2 with touchscreen. Its also quite DIY'able.

I've tried Nemo, for example, but the touchscreen only worked on pressing for a long time, gotta debug that at some point.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by locusf View Post
SailPi tablet concept can adapt to variety of choices, just say the word and I'll try to cook up something cool for RPi 2 with touchscreen. Its also quite DIY'able.

I've tried Nemo, for example, but the touchscreen only worked on pressing for a long time, gotta debug that at some point.
Very cool indeed! And yeah, I would guess that at this point, Sailfish is going to be far, far more usable than Nemo.

I do wonder, though, as to the legal status of Sailfish going forward. I was sort of thinking that using the Mer base, and putting something minimal but open on top of it, would be a safer way to proceed...

(And I also have to admit, I'm not a hardware guy. The idea of trying to piece together a tablet of my own using RPi parts seems downright frightening. But yeah, I should probably try it out eventually...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Very cool indeed! And yeah, I would guess that at this point, Sailfish is going to be far, far more usable than Nemo.

I do wonder, though, as to the legal status of Sailfish going forward. I was sort of thinking that using the Mer base, and putting something minimal but open on top of it, would be a safer way to proceed...

(And I also have to admit, I'm not a hardware guy. The idea of trying to piece together a tablet of my own using RPi parts seems downright frightening. But yeah, I should probably try it out eventually...)
Its very simple, there are a videos around youtube on how to assemble the touch screen, afterwards its just a matter of flashing a microsd card with your operating system of choice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
hell you could just try running gnome3 on a tablet.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit : seeing me restarting gnome shell on a tablet every 4 hours

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
thats why i'm thinking of getting one. pi2, case, charger usb wifi and screen is about £100. unfortunately it is getting harder to find decent n900s for use as development test bed and i can't risk damaging my daily.

if all you want is an app manager, I'll have to get working on HAM port.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit : seeing me restarting gnome shell on a tablet every 4 hours
Should not be needed - it restarts automatically if it crashes and keeps state. Only serious crashes (quite possibly driver related) make it loose the session state, forcing you to re-login.

Also at least right now Gnome Shell is still much more stable than Plasma 5, which still has some severe stability and usability issues. But that should hopefully improve as Plasma 5 matures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: