Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Really, I'm kinda surprised there haven't been more Jolla-like entities popping up, as Mer really does hand you a significant amount of power seemingly without constraining you to a particular type of UI or a particular corporate entity...
I think you've answered your own question there. Nobody wants to be a 'Jolla-like' entity. That's a lot of work and evidently not sustainable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I think you've answered your own question there. Nobody wants to be a 'Jolla-like' entity. That's a lot of work and evidently not sustainable.
I wouldn't say that it's not sustainable. I think that it's quite the challenge if your name isn't Apple or Google right now.

But... you might also be onto something as well. How to change that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
My ideal mobile (which also applies to tablets) is much like Sailfish with a few additions. No wasted real estate with a navigation bar and status bar rubbish, non-terrible scaling for different resolutions the default for the nexus 5 is soo huge and a massive waste of the resolution. (Would also prefer if the Sailfish UI was scaled a bit better too. The app covers I would prefer if they had both v1 and v2 features swiping and buttons for extra functionality. Swiping from the edge could also be enhanced, top half can do one thing and the bottom half could do something else, swipe to go back to the homescreen and go to the next/previous running app. These extra swipe gestures can work if the phone is big enough, so it could work that way for tablets and for phones with a pressure sensitive screen it could work with that instead.

A hard press could do a right click action. Since there's more space on a tablet you could have two fingers on the screen and tap with the second (have a way to detect that) and have that as the right action.

Well that's my ideal mobile OS, I have a few commitments such as my messaging app, the Android apps on Sailfish , and work. But I should have time at some point soon TM where I can help with this project eg. Implement encryption algorithm chacha20-poly1305 or the more conventional AES or something else entirely. Although I do concede that my implementation may not be the most optimal and the security aspects of the the implementation may also not be completely locked down. But it will be a start and can be improved later.

EDIT: I wrote this post with my phone and so may have some grammatical/spelling (and some things may just not make sense) which I blame entirely on the swipe keyboard. (and rightfully so)

I won't have access to a computer to amend this until the last week of the year.

EDIT2: Missed a feature that I would like. Widgets screen on the right from the main screen.

Last edited by nh1402; 2015-12-14 at 17:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I wouldn't say that it's not sustainable. I think that it's quite the challenge if your name isn't Apple or Google right now.

But... you might also be onto something as well. How to change that?
Of course. At some point a startup has to start earning money. Jolla seem to have bet the company on selling OS licences with very few other income streams. No app store income. No accessories. No updated phones. No paid updates.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I will be implementing chacha20-poly1305 for my messaging application in C++ at some point, that same code, if not slightly modified could also work for this project.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
... But those OSs (DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 9x, MacOS earlier than OS X) are all dead and gone now. Linux (and other open Unix-like OSs) continue to move ahead, despite not making a fortune. And while a lot of that is due to their open nature, much is also due to their not being tied to any particular architecture -- various machines come and go, but these OSs continue to adapt to new devices while still being able to run their standard software.

tl;dr: No need to wait for a geek tablet to come out, or to worry about how much geeks squabble with each other; every tablet is a geek tablet, so long as you can get an open OS onto it.
Your news is encouraging,
hope you can let us know sometime a bullet list
of what works vs what fails
( nexus 7 should mostly work by now ?)

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: