Notices

Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
While I fully agree with buchanmilne I can also understand impeham's situation.
Xbmc has been designed to be used with a Library. This is a design choice and leads to a huge range of additionally possible features. For example fanart, smart playlists, item details etc are very hard to handle with a filesystem-only based approach. The downside (at a first thought) is that one has to be very disciplined when sorting and maintaining his collection. You can't just drop files into your music folder any more without caring about ID3 tags or trying to maintain playlists by collecting its titles in a folder. Importing old, large music collections most likely just leads to a totally unusable library. It often requires a lot of work to clean up and sort things. However, those downsides turn out to be the actual strength once you have managed to clean up your library.

Because of this design choice, Xbmc will never support the file mode as good as the library mode. That is because its a) very difficult to maintain along with a very advanced library and b) they simply don't have the focus on it.

Impeham, for the slight chance that there is a bug in Xbmcremote, please send me the debug output while running "xbmcremote -d connection,player" and reproducing the problem. But as I have checked this code quite often lately, I fear its simply Xbmc not doing what you expect it to do.
mzanetti - were you able to find a solution for this?

I also have an enhancement suggestion - save the remote state between sessions. if you are at the navigation/playlist for example - if you close the application and reopen it - you need many clicks to reproduce the last state you were in.

Originally Posted by impeham View Post
mzanetti - were you able to find a solution for this?
I have investigated again, yes. It seems to basically work, but Xbmc shows some strange behavior: It returns invalid parameters when there is either a special character somewhere in the path, or the given folder does not contain any playable items (i.e. only subdirectories). It also does not work for files newly added to xbmc. While the browser shows them, Xbmc needs to be restarted until it recognizes them as playable. There might be other issues as well. Most of the stuff can't be changed on the remote side.
I won't add a workaround for Xbmc's non-recursive behavior to xbmcremote because its too easy to break something and cause a lot of network traffic or freeze either Xbmc or xbmcremote.

I also have an enhancement suggestion - save the remote state between sessions. if you are at the navigation/playlist for example - if you close the application and reopen it - you need many clicks to reproduce the last state you were in.
I have thought about this too but it seems to be a lot of work to do it properly (e.g. restore the browsed path with error handling if a path does not exist any more, sessions need to be stored independently for each configured host, etc...). Lets see what I can do... Won't happen for the next release but maybe later on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post:
I have investigated again, yes. It seems to basically work, but Xbmc shows some strange behavior: It returns invalid parameters when there is either a special character somewhere in the path, or the given folder does not contain any playable items (i.e. only subdirectories). It also does not work for files newly added to xbmc. While the browser shows them, Xbmc needs to be restarted until it recognizes them as playable. There might be other issues as well. Most of the stuff can't be changed on the remote side.
I won't add a workaround for Xbmc's non-recursive behavior to xbmcremote because its too easy to break something and cause a lot of network traffic or freeze either Xbmc or xbmcremote.
Well, i did a test where i've put a few mp3 files (no subfolders) in a folder named (D:\music) just to check the characters' issue but still it did not work.

Were you able to add files in any folder (XBMC on windows)?

Well, i did a test where i've put a few mp3 files (no subfolders) in a folder named (D:\music) just to check the characters' issue but still it did not work.
Did you restart Xbmc after adding the files and before testing?

Were you able to add files in any folder (XBMC on windows)?
Yes, I have tested it on a workmates windows machine. The results are as described above. If all those conditions are met, it works fine.

Hi

Very nice app. I'm using 1.0 for n9. I'm using it with xbmcbuntu and when I set autodiscover through zeroconf the port is wrongly set and jsonrpc doesn't work. I get http://192.168.1.13:9981/jsonrpc instead of http://192.168.1.13:8080/jsonrpc

Other than that the app is great! thanks,

-

Originally Posted by javiermon View Post
Hi

Very nice app. I'm using 1.0 for n9. I'm using it with xbmcbuntu and when I set autodiscover through zeroconf the port is wrongly set and jsonrpc doesn't work. I get http://192.168.1.13:9981/jsonrpc instead of http://192.168.1.13:8080/jsonrpc

Other than that the app is great! thanks,

-
Hi javiermon,

This has been recently reported by someone else too and it's already fixed in git master. You can either compile it on your own or wait a few days for 1.1 to be released.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the noise.

Great app!

Thanks a lot and sorry for the noise.
No problem. Keep the reports coming if you find any issues.

Great app!
Thanks.

No problem. Keep the reports coming if you find any issues.

Thanks.
Ok, I have a couple of suggestions.

When using the controller page (up, down, home, full screen, etc) I would love to have some kind of push feedback, like when typing in the n9 keyboard, so I can press those buttons without looking and have some kind of response feedback.

Another suggestion I have is to support long presses on those buttons, so I can push down while on a list and the remote will keep scrolling down while the button is pressed.

Hope this makes sense.

When using the controller page (up, down, home, full screen, etc) I would love to have some kind of push feedback, like when typing in the n9 keyboard, so I can press those buttons without looking and have some kind of response feedback.

Another suggestion I have is to support long presses on those buttons, so I can push down while on a list and the remote will keep scrolling down while the button is pressed.

Hope this makes sense.
Hehe, you must have some crystal ball telling you the changelog for 1.1. Also both of them are already implemented and just waiting to be released