>>buy Tiny BT keyboard
>>Do your business
>>get profit
>>get an Android
>>play with it
>>get bored with android
>>sell android
>>Buy N900
NITDroid still can't make phone calls. That's a prob for a phone, innit?

Nokia N9 and Nokia N900 are both phones. Never forget that. Unable to make calls is unacceptable unless you have that money and pocket space to waste.

Regardless... ICS does background tasks. You can download via the Browser, move files via Root Explorer and be responding to an e-mail quite easily. It doesn't tile like Harmattan does, but it's less serial tasking than iOS and closer to true multi-tasking than Gingerbread in terms of presentation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
NITDroid Alpha 3 for N9 has just been released. Once it reaches beta an N9 may be the solution for you. You can boot into ICS for the occasional Android app while using MeeGo as your main OS.

An N900 may not be the wisest choice. The N9 may be declared DOA but at least it is still in production and still being upgraded. It has more useful life left than the N900.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Baltimore, MD, USA
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
The other option is to go with a T-Mobile no contract plan, which will give me "unlimited" data and unlimited texts, plus 100 minutes of voice per month.
I've been using an n9 on this plan for about a month, and it seems to take care of most of my needs. Especially if you configure a google voice account with a simonics sip account. Then, your voice calls can be made as data instead of voice minutes. Don't try to get this plan in the store, they won't know what you're talking about. Order the sim online direct from Tmob and get a sim cutter online. They cost about 6 bucks. The only caveat is that you may not hear the first 3 or 4 seconds of outgoing calls when the other end answers. I also have a fairly new (8 month old) android phone and an n900.

The only things I miss when not using the android phone are the google music and amazon mp3 apps. Drive on the N9 is fine for my daily GPS, and Fennec with flash can take care of most other things that the default n9 browser can't handle.

My n900 is still on Gingerbread Nitdroid, and it seems to handle all the apps I want to use just fine. I haven't put ICS on the N9 yet, so I can't comment on that. I will say that Meego, even with it's shortcomings, is MUCH more pleasurable to use on a daily basis than android. Plus, it's lighter in the pocket (my android has a 4.3 inch screen). N9 for me has the best battery life, at 1.5 to 2 days of regular use. Android is second, and N900 is third. Both can get me through a full work day unless I'm constantly streaming something.

Want to let you all know thst sip calls works in nidroid alphs 3n n9.
Performance is good. I use harmattan as main and boot nitdroid when i need to or feel lika it. (Wrote this from nitdroid)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Buy a galaxy note. A boring os but the device will give you a superior experience.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
NITDroid still can't make phone calls. That's a prob for a phone, innit?

Nokia N9 and Nokia N900 are both phones. Never forget that. Unable to make calls is unacceptable unless you have that money and pocket space to waste.
Well for me personally it doesn't matter, as I'm planning on keeping my current dumbphone, and using the other just for data. But IME Android wasn't that great in the phonecall department either. Last year I bought a Droid 2 Global, and ended up returning it about a week later because it rebooted itself in the middle of about half the calls I was on. When I took it into Verizon to complain about it their response was, "Oh, you need to install a 3rd party task killer on the phone, and a few times a day open it up and close all the programs that are running in the background." I decided to return it instead.

Well sorry to disappoint those who didn't want more demand for the N900s, but thanks to zlatokosi I just bought one on ebay for $150.

I'd been looking on Amazon where new ones were going for $300+. I figure at $150 and a no contract data plan it is at least worth trying for a bit, if it doesn't work out I should be able to sell the N900 without much loss and either pick up a N9 or an Android phone.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Well for me personally it doesn't matter, as I'm planning on keeping my current dumbphone, and using the other just for data. But IME Android wasn't that great in the phonecall department either. Last year I bought a Droid 2 Global, and ended up returning it about a week later because it rebooted itself in the middle of about half the calls I was on. When I took it into Verizon to complain about it their response was, "Oh, you need to install a 3rd party task killer on the phone, and a few times a day open it up and close all the programs that are running in the background." I decided to return it instead.
Okay... mind you. I carry different devices because they fulfill different criteria.

Smartphone where the overlay is in browsing. But the moment I need a desktop version, and since I don't have my N900 any longer... I carry an ICS Android tablet because it has Flash. I also edit some office documents, e-mails, et al... but for my work, I carry a laptop for that kind of work and ease of use.

Despite the overlaps, I have to say that I'm honestly a bit confused in what you want now due to your answer.

Oh... and task killers in Honeycomb and ICS. I would say look at something like Watchdog since what it does is create a rule where tasks that spike in mem or cpu usage gets too high.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
so n9, n900, or android?