whuahaha they removed keyboard

face it, MeeGo is a stillborn

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Just realized how confusing the application launcher homescreen actually is when it's filled with many icons.

does anyone know: will there be a possibility (either out of the box as with symbian, or as a third party application like with the n900) to organize these applications in folders?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
Just my two cents. This device fails because they stopped support for it the moment they stopped support for MeeGo.
No they didn't. Harmattan is under active development. And another thing that didn't stop is the development of Qt, nor the MeeGo Community Edition. As usual, I have no idea how much they will be able to borrow from Harmattan so that it's proven once and for all that MeeGo doesn't have to look like crap, but the point is, it's far from stopped/dropped.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
One thing that would be awesome is a touchstone-like wireless charger, connected/charged through USB to a computer, but NFC enabled, so you would automatically sync/backup the phone, while charging it

@attila77: I'm here hoping that MeeGo hir more and more form harmattan, since it seems much more finished and polished than the official MeeGo handset version - so it will breath more life into N9, and keep it more compatible with the future interations of MeeGo.

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-21 at 18:16.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Just realized how confusing the application launcher homescreen actually is when it's filled with many icons.

does anyone know: will there be a possibility (either out of the box as with symbian, or as a third party application like with the n900) to organize these applications in folders?
You mean like Catorize? I think it'll be a good idea to have a few folders - there will be many many more icons appearing in that screen after a few months' downloading from the repos and the Ovi, oops, I meant Nokia store.

Ha, just noticed the rotation from portrait to landscape is very much like the CSSU rotation. A good influence from TMO!

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

You can definitely move them around freely as i saw that done on a video, but folders, dunno. MR forums own insider, Dsmobile said month or two ago that Harmattan wont know such a thing as "folder". Will be long list if true.

Remember that you also got the fast launcher always available by swiping up from bottom of the device. I think you can fit at least 4 icons there.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
Has anyone seen a video or something of copy/paste on N9?

Sorry, if this has been discussed earlier.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
And of course, it is, like the N900, expected to be a community driven device. It's linux, open source, so all the Maemo and MeeGo devs will eventually turn their heads to it and fill the gaps and provide apps.
Not so fast there. The UI/X of the N9 is largely closed source. The default apps are largely closed source. Yes, the community will be able to provide, perhaps even port, apps. But we will not have the situation we had with the N900 where the UI will be incrementally improved by a series of small changes. We might not be able to fill in the gaps relatively easily. We might be in the situation where, if there is something about the UI that we don't like, such as the inability to customise home screens, it won't be possible to easily tweak it to our liking and scratch that itch.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Maybe this could also be the device that we see Cordia-to-handset project grow on, who knows? (That I would love to see tbh)
I don't know if it will be Cordia or something else, but we need something. Something that is not only a wholesale replacement for the closed UI/X but also comes with apps that provide all of the functionality of the closed apps.

Last edited by SD69; 2011-06-21 at 18:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Those 4 icons at the bottom remind me of QuickLaunch on my N900. Can the choice of 4 be customised or are they fixed?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????