I have completed the first part of this project which was to make a 8GB SDHC memory card for the Nokia 770.
For those who asked the 8GB RS-MMC size custom card can be purchased from this site. http://www.remotefactory.com/n770memory.html with a credit card or Paypal

This card is only for users who know how to flash the kernel for SDHC support or is willing to learn.
For those new users like me who sent email or posted that they needed a simplified but detailed SDHC flasher instructions here you go.
http://www.remotefactory.com/sdhc.html
Please update me with any mistakes. I used it on OS2007HE and OS2006 without an problems.

** Update*** I also used it on the 770 with OS2008HE.

If there is enough interest I will make them available at http://www.remotefactory.com under hobbyist corner.

I also received email from 770 owners who say they sre waiting for a 16GB size. I do not have a 16GB size and it will be very expensive when the 16GB MicroSD card become available by Sandisk or others. I am also not sure if they will work but they should.

I have been using the custom 8GB memory card for many weeks without any problems. The olny thing I see is the unit will restart if you remove the card if it is in use. I also think the swap file is in use sometime when no programs are running. Do not remove it if you was just running several programs. This also happen with a 2GB standard RS-MMC card.

Right now I am using a N770 with 2007HE and a N800 with 2008OS

I am new to the N770 but I have a n800 which has 2 16G memory cards. I use this every day for work and need to have it stable. After installing several Media programs it crashed a few times so I decided to purchase a N770 to play with but I soon found out it is limited to 2-4G RS-MMC cards.
With this limitation I do not think it is a good device for Media since I do not like carrying additional cards around. After searching for a solution for this I found that some users were modifying the MMC slot to allow for SD cards by cutting, Soldering cards into the machine and so on.

I am a self-taught engineer who design and manufacture remote control products. Solving existing problems and making things work better is one of the things I do best.

I set out to solve this RS-MMC Memory card limitation problem and came up with a solution where I can use MicroSD cards in my N770 but for now it only support the none SDHC versions.

My goals for the N770 and N800

I am making it a project to turn the Nokia 770 into a machine which can use 8 to 16G Micro SD cards with a easy way to install the support for these cards for every one and making it a nicer Media playing device.

Problem 1: Make the Micro SD card fit the N770 without hacking the device: Already Solved but current solution is not for every one. Micro SDHC 8GB cards soon at http://www.remotefactory.com/ under "hobbyist corner"

Problem 2: I am new to Linux and also I do not do any programming so that leads to needing help to solve problem 3.

Problem 3: Installing support for SDHC cards.
Status: Installed SDHC support from Fanoush http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#sdhc
kernel-sdhc-48MHz-3.2006.49.tar.gz
and it worked fine, Currently testing for problems.

Problem 4: Find out all the issues that I will need to over come after cards are recognized such as speed, memory corruptions, best card to use, etc.

Status: So far Windows XP treats it like a hard drive instead of a removable drive. It take 110 minutes to load 3.7G trough the USB connection. it took 100 minutes to load the same amount of files to a Tilt with a 8G Micro SDHC.

Next project after this one is solved:
Project 2:
Make a remote control that will work with the headphone jack to control the media play I choose for the N800 and the N770.

Project 3: Get the media players to support a remote control for all the transport functions. I see that Kagu supports pause and play but I think that they all should support some kind of wired remote control if this is not too difficult.

Anyone with useful information for these projects please post it to this trend

craves1
I crave electronic simplicity
I want a single do-all device with the most uses possible

Last edited by craves1; 2008-08-27 at 18:35. Reason: Progress update

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ a northerner in the south
good on you! i wish i could contribute something positive to help you in your quest! i've a 770 which was replaced with a 800 because of the extra memory possibilities. i still use the 770 and any way to get the memory upped would be great. cheers!

What is the maximum memory you can use in your 770 now?
What do you use the 770 for now?
What do you think of it as a media player?

thanks

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
Well I have a 770 and love it...
I can not solve problem 3 but I know where it has already been solved check out Fanoush's web page, he made a kernel that can support SDHC cards as well as higher speeds.
Keep us up to date about this, I would be really happy to get more storage in my 770.

Edit:
Check out these pages that are along the same lines

Edit 2:
Check this out too

Last edited by ericdkirk; 2008-03-09 at 02:47.

ericdkirk
Thanks, I have read these posts and the pages you suggested and they are why I made the memory adapter.

Do you know if there are none SDHC 4G microSD cards available?

I will also be posting soon where the adapters and adapters with memory already installed can be purchased. There will also be several other parts posted there.

One additional parts that is available as of next week is a OTG cable and adapter mini kit for the N800. These cables will put the N800 in OTG mode automatically. They differ from other solutions in this forum by the cable and size.

I am not sure yet about the N770 in OTG mode. I did not read anywhere if it is possible yet.

Thanks

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by craves1 View Post
Do you know if there are none SDHC 4G microSD cards available?Thanks
The SD standard only allows for cards up to 2GB due to the use of 32-bit byte addressing. SDHC expands the capacity to a theoretical maximum of 2TB* through the use of sector addressing instead of byte addressing. Before SDHC was introduced, some manufacturers increased the capacity of their cards to 4GB by using a control bit, normally used for parity information, as an additional address bit (essentially extending it to a 33-bit address). Since these cards effectively removed the parity control bit, they are less reliable than standard cards, are not compatible with many devices, and technically don't even meet the SD technical specs set out by the SD Card Association. Many companies still sell 4GB non-SDHC cards, but I would avoid them at all costs.

* (When can I expect these to come out?...I'm practically drooling at just the thought of 4TB of storage in an N800!) (Then again...since a single memory card would probably cost 10x as much as the N800, it might not be very practical.)

Originally Posted by jellotherat View Post
The SD standard only allows for cards up to 2GB due to the use of 32-bit byte addressing. SDHC expands the capacity to a theoretical maximum of 2TB* through the use of sector addressing instead of byte addressing. Before SDHC was introduced, some manufacturers increased the capacity of their cards to 4GB by using a control bit, normally used for parity information, as an additional address bit (essentially extending it to a 33-bit address). Since these cards effectively removed the parity control bit, they are less reliable than standard cards, are not compatible with many devices, and technically don't even meet the SD technical specs set out by the SD Card Association. Many companies still sell 4GB non-SDHC cards, but I would avoid them at all costs.

* (When can I expect these to come out?...I'm practically drooling at just the thought of 4TB of storage in an N800!) (Then again...since a single memory card would probably cost 10x as much as the N800, it might not be very practical.)

I have the main parts now and as soon as I understand how to install the SDHC support and test them on the 4 and 8G SDHC card and when I am sure they will not cause and problems I will make them available.
I know the sandard cards work perfectly so far.
Also beware this adapter is not for everybody. They are mostly to prevent people from hacking the N770. We can add the card to the adapter if requested but it is a modification Kit for the MicroSD card. Soon we will also have a version that anyone can easly add the MicroSD card to the adapter.
Anyone who wants to take the chance can purchase the Kit and add it themself next week. This requires a little skill in soldering but it is not a big deal.

Thanks

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
One can also make such 'kit' from this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5091 Just cut the usb part, make it a bit thinner and stick microSDHC card to it. Then flash my kernel http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#sdhc and it should work. People already done this, just search this forum. Still, such kit mentioned in previous posts with card already fitted might save you some effort.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-09 at 07:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
The SD standard only allows for cards up to 2GB due to the use of 32-bit byte addressing.
32 bits can address 4GB just fine
. Before SDHC was introduced, some manufacturers increased the capacity of their cards to 4GB by using a control bit, normally used for parity information, as an additional address bit (essentially extending it to a 33-bit address). Since these cards effectively removed the parity control bit, they are less reliable than standard cards, are not compatible with many devices, and technically don't even meet the SD technical specs set out by the SD Card Association. Many companies still sell 4GB non-SDHC cards, but I would avoid them at all costs.
That's nonsense. The reason why SD standard goes only to 2GB is limitation of FAT16 filesystem, those non-standard cards must use FAT32 just like SDHC cards. There is nothing wrong with those 4GB cards (if device understands FAT32). There is no hardware difference between 2GB and 4GB SD cards except bigger flash. Also the communication on block level (layer below filesystem, reading/writing blocks) is same.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
One can also make such 'kit' from this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5091 Just cut the usb part, make it a bit thinner and stick microSDHC card to it. Then flash my kernel http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#sdhc and it should work. People already done this, just search this forum.
Thanks but been there done that. This is why I made this part. I read all the post and purchase the same adapter and cut many SD cards thinner includeing this adapter. When you cut the sd adapter thiner and remove enough of the USP part to fit it is no longer a elegent part. and since I have several N770's it get stuck in some of them.

Thanks but, been there done that for those solutions. I also saw users hacking the MMC slot on the Tablet. This is why I made this part. I read all the post and purchase the same adapter and cut many SD cards thinner including this adapter. When you cut the SD adapter thinner and remove enough of the USB part to fit all the way into the slot so the door can close it is no longer a neat part. And since I have several N770's it get stuck in some of them. There is nothing wrong with it for those who want this.

When I understand completely how to flash your kernel which I have already read about I will test the different memories try to post a good solution for everyone who what’s it. My engineers are Linux people but I am new to it. I am looking for an easy solution for everyone. It may be easy but I just have not gone far enough into this to understand it yet. Since this is just a spare time project I can only devote a few hours to it on the weekend.

If you are interested and if you are willing can you post a newbie step buy step guide?

Thanks for the reply any further help would be deeply appreciated.

craves1