Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Maybe i am too outspoken but at least i speak with experiance (sic)
But that's the problem, most often you don't speak with experience. You speak as if you know everything, when in fact you do not. I site this example below:

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is just not going to work without hardware being altered so i would love to know why they need the charge driver.
If you were speaking with experience (or had you read the thread) you would know that it is in fact already working, without hardware being altered. That makes your assertion that it's "just not going to work without hardware being altered" not only false, but shows ignorance of what has already happened. The matter-of-fact presentation also makes you come across as smug and arrogant on top of it, which is why you got a cold reception here.

The current team has already done this completely in software, that's the desired goal of this particular project. It's currently not as stable as they would like it to be because to do it they had to disable portions of close-sourced code. They want the code made open so that they can simply modify the small parts they need to in order to make this software-only solution work stably. The alternative is to reverse engineer the code and hope that their replacement code covers all the exceptions and special cases Nokia has covered in their current driver. That's a hard task with the limited documentation given for the hardware and other close-source software it interacts with.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
All you've done is talk about your supposed success
Said another way: "Pictures, or it didn't happen." Given the fact that you've made one false assertion (about the need for hardware alteration), people disbelieve your other assertions (that you've done this with hardware). Yet another negative side-effect of the way you present yourself here.

If you have come up with a hardware mod to get host USB on the N900, please do share it. Most people will still want a software-only way to get this. But those of us who are comfortable with hardware mods may find it useful. The team working on the software only solution may find it helpful as well. At the very least, you'll have shown you're the first with a working USB host (or OTG?) solution.

EDIT: P.S.: I've already ordered my converter. While I won't say they're the best/only place to get such an item, this is the one I went for, since it's pocketable, and should work ok for on-the-go USB stick reading... eventually.

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-06-24 at 21:59. Reason: Added PS

Does the silence mean that there is no progress and there won't be USB host mode?

This is a snippet from "the secret place" about the project:
Activity Percentile: 94.58%

It's anything but silent and there's also work being done on the BME

Just chill and stop waiting.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Hey
I'm still waiting and hoping for the day when usb host for n900 get announced thanks for all the guys who are trying to make this work!
Maybe I'll try until then the kernel patches...

Will it be possible to have usb host mode in userland? So without an unofficial kernel?

It's really sad that because of all the mess in threads the developers stopped to inform nobs like me about their progress. There is hope though that finally they will make us all very happy and one day I will wake up and check as usually tmo and find out that my dream came true

Any success?

Yeah thread looks derailed. The developers will probably start a new thread "USB HOST is HERE" once everythings ready to go, so nobody needs to keep asking for the progress. Just wait for that thread to emerge.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Cheers!! keep the spirit and never ever you guys give up!

The Following User Says Thank You to Arrancamos For This Useful Post:
Hey, thanks for carrying this great project on. Please , if possible, make this easy for us linux noobs to do, maybe even using a gui or something...

Joerg_rw and MohammadAG
what still needs to happen for usbhost mode to be achieved?

I was told by a friend, people are voting for this to become opensource