Active Topics

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
My kid won a selfie stick last week at school. I can 3D print a N900 gripper for it to connect to and post it here, it also is a nice monopod and if the bluetooth can be made to work a remote shutter activator.

It uses Bluetooth HID keyboard driver and when paired to my laptop sends a Return ↵ signal when in a text editor.

It doesn't seem to want to pair with my N900, the pairing completes as a trusted device and then it goes back into pairing mode. On an android tablet pops up for pairing as both a keyboard and a little phone icon.

If I can get it to pair up how can I bind the N900 photo shutter to the return key, I do not see a permanent binding being a problem though only taking the return from a HID keybaord would probably be better.

Is there a way to bind the shutter to a button BH-214 bluetooth headset as an alternate? Again I doubt this key binding would interfere with normal music shuffle while taking photographs.

Any ideas?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I'm interested if you find something. A Bluetooth camera trigger would be quite useful.

For this month's photo contest I'd been wanting a remote shutter release for getting a bird photo. My approach was to try the 'take a picture from terminal command from the phone control 'wiki. I figured I could ssh in from a non-threatening distance and trigger a shot. But instead it didn't work at all, no picture captured, and in the interest of time I just stalked braver birds.

And guess what I just found! The c key takes a picture in N900 stock camera! I guess it's c for 'capture'. There are other hotkeys, too. I've had this phone over 5 years and never noticed.

Last edited by robthebold; 2016-03-28 at 18:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
And guess what I just found! The c key takes a picture in N900 stock camera! I guess it's c for 'capture'. There are other hotkeys, too. I ed this phone over 5 years and never noticed.
actually not the "stock" .. it's an improvement of camera2-ui which has become 'stock' in a way. The real stock one doesn't have the shortcut.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@biketool: do you have extkbd installed?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
Interesting. I too am looking for a monopod or selfie stick to use for my N900, N9, and Lumia devices. I wonder if there's one that's lightweight where it can transform from a monopod to a tripod. That would be cool.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Ok, apt-get install extkbd fixed the stick pairing with my N900(thanks Freemangordon), clicking the shutter button on the stick sends ↵ on xterm, now just need to bind Return ↵ to shutter and print a gripper. I will post the gripper/adapter on thingiverse.com once I get around to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
At first I thought selfie sticks were kind of stupid, then my wife mentioned that since she has known me in college she only has a few pictures including me in the shot as I always have the camera, including few family shots with me and the kids.

Last edited by biketool; 2016-03-30 at 05:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
I just bought one of these iKross monopod with mini tripod attachment on eBay, $15.99. I'll let you know how it is once it arrives. It comes in black, blue.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
OK there is already a N900 tripod mount on Thingiverse so no need to re-invent the wheel(Ithink you can order from Straysis there if you have no 3D printer).
3D print this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:387442

Well unless you have a Mugen double cell N900, I will have to mod this to fit for my phone I guess.
A 30-40mm concave mirror stickered to the phone mount will help with aiming.

All we need now is to bind ↵ to the camera trigger and we can has selfi-stick for N900!

this is the command to fire the camera
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 num-buffers=1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! filesink location=frontcam.jpg

Though I think it would be better to just bind ↵ like c is in the regular camera app.

It might be nice to have a selfi app or even a script and launcher button on the desktop so that ↵ only works as trigger when wanted for use with selfi sticks.
Ideally we can stick a .deb in this thread with the script and have it depend extkbd, maybe it can even make it to the repos.

or this?
https://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Comma...Widget_scripts

Last edited by biketool; 2016-03-30 at 17:11.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
OK there is already a N900 tripod mount on Thingiverse so no need to re-invent the wheel(Ithink you can order from Straysis there if you have no 3D printer).
3D print this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:387442
http://thingiverse-production-new.s3...w_featured.jpg
Well unless you have a Mugen double cell N900, I will have to mod this to fit for my phone I guess.
A 30-40mm concave mirror stickered to the phone mount will help with aiming.

All we need now is to bind ↵ to the camera trigger and we can has selfi-stick for N900!

this is the command to fire the camera
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 num-buffers=1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! filesink location=frontcam.jpg

Though I think it would be better to just bind ↵ like c is in the regular camera app.

It might be nice to have a selfi app or even a script and launcher button on the desktop so that ↵ only works as trigger when wanted for use with selfi sticks.
Ideally we can stick a .deb in this thread with the script and have it depend extkbd, maybe it can even make it to the repos.

or this?
https://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Comma...Widget_scripts
Since you mentioned a mirror, I think you want /dev/video0 for the "rear" camera as they call it. And a convex mirror I think you meant, like on my old Sony-Ericsson K550i. That was really a neat feature.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: