Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
In reference to your questions on the expected shipment date of the Nokia N900, let me tell you the latest information from Nokia:

The Nokia N900 is a great example of what we and the open source community have been able to achieve with Maemo software. We are working closely with open source developers and for example, at the Maemo Summit in October, we loaned 300 pre-production units to get more feedback from the community. This feedback is extremely important to us and as such we also want to provide the best user experience with the Nokia N900.

We expect it to start shipping during November 2009.

Peter Schneider
Head of Maemo Marketing
Nokia Corporation
Thank you. It is great that you are posting here. Thank you!!!

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I am more concerned that a lot of you are better with English than I am and it is my native language

The date is fine for me. Gives me time to see how much better it will be, or if something bad (to me) is discovered, gives me time to cancel

Okay, who am I kidding- I want it now

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well, maybe the new delay is if you preorder the device now. For preorders made earlier this month and in September the date is still end of October. Who knows.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Anyone who thinks that is not worth waiting for I question why you wanted the N900 in the first place.
I don't want to pay for and depend on a device - and the support of the company selling it - whose purchasers are sh1t on even before delivery.

Last edited by kevink; 2009-10-22 at 17:46.

It's a shame there's a delay, but at the same time hopes are a terrible thing to damage.

Nokia seem to have done a good job firing up peoples' imaginations with the launch period, all the way through to the summit. Perhaps too good

So many people see so many ways they can add something beneficial to their lives with this device, they are brimming with enthusiasm, then their dreams are kicked in the teeth. I can understand how some may find that emotionally detrimental - and once Nokia loses their emotional investment, they begin to risk losing mind-share and ultimately business.

That said, shooting for an October release and slipping to November is hardly a showstopper - BFD Unfortunately, the party started at the beginning of September, and some people have a problem maintaining a 3 month hardon.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
I don't want to buy (and more importantly, depend on) a device - and on the support of a company - whose purchasers are sh1t on even before delivery.
Does your Momma know you turned out to be this big a Troll!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
That's it. I'm out. Just called Nokia and cancelled my preorder.
Thanks for registering to post that! Bye now!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Thanks for registering to post that! Bye now!

Very good, my friend.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Oh, bloody hell. To all the people whining about it not being released, I'll just repost what I posted over at HoFo.

"Look at it this way. With any major project (especially hardware/software) there will always be issues/defects. ALWAYS. Things aren't shipped when they are "bug free" - they are shipped when there is reasonable confidence that the major issues have been identified and fixed or deemed low impact. I'd rather a company be honest and delay something a little rather than chuck it out the door with what may possibly be serious defects.

What would happen to the device's reputation and future sales if they prematurely sent it out the door knowing there is a possibility of something going horribly wrong? Look at the guest account issue with the latest version of OS X, for instance. Some more exposure to beta testers may have very well exposed that issue, who knows; yet obviously the decision was made to release it. It is also quite likely that some people in Apple's release management team were aware of it and decided that it is not that likely end users would follow that scenario."

I think r0eladn is a good example of somebody losing their emotional investment due to disappointment.

Now, you can choose to understand his perspective or you can ridicule him, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that this behavior is symptomatic (rightly or not) of the sequence of events that Nokia have played a significant part in determining.

A slight tweak in Nokia's tactics may have averted such a toxic atmosphere.

Tags
black hole, choc santa is a priority, delete this thread, egg on toast, fokia n900000000000000 :d, i love peter, mental instatution, n900 is a hoax :p, n900 is soylent green, not-garbage thread!, november release, peter is hot, peter was here, serenity now, spam, this is daycare, this thread is dead, urge to kill rising, when will it arrive!, whiners unite, your face is a daycare, zamunda