Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
According to Engadget google has decided to make Android more closed, read the story here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/g...censees-abide/

What do you guys think? A lost opportunity, or a new one for MeeGo as the open-source ruler of portables in the near future? Future disruption, eat your heart out
As I recall, the only thing Google is CLOSING right now is the access to development source code (not closing the code itself indefinitely). They want to hold off finally releasing the source code to the latest and greatest until it's ready to get rolled out in an effort to prevent handset makers and telcos from trying to crap up the OS, the way they have been trying to lately.

On the one hand, I'm opposed to the closed nature.. but on the other, I can appreciate what they're trying to do and I'm with them. Ultimately, it remains to be seen whether the outcome benefits us best as a community and as customers either way.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Well the last part of the article mentions Elop's comment and I think this is why he slowed down MeeGo's development. If you want to make profit and make it fast open source OS wont help you. I think most people who believe in open source ideology dont really care about $$$ but Nokia is corporation and it must answer to shareholders.

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
As I recall, the only thing Google is CLOSING right now is the access to development source code (not closing the code itself indefinitely). They want to hold off finally releasing the source code to the latest and greatest until it's ready to get rolled out in an effort to prevent handset makers and telcos from trying to crap up the OS, the way they have been trying to lately.

On the one hand, I'm opposed to the closed nature.. but on the other, I can appreciate what they're trying to do and I'm with them. Ultimately, it remains to be seen whether the outcome benefits us best as a community and as customers either way.
u can always root it.
camera drivers are the problem

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Well the last part of the article mentions Elop's comment and I think this is why he slowed down MeeGo's development. If you want to make profit and make it fast open source OS wont help you. I think most people who believe in open source ideology dont really care about $$$ but Nokia is corporation and it must answer to shareholders.
I don't think Nokia's problems are related to whether or not anything is open-source. In fact, I BOUGHT the N800 BECAUSE it was advertised as open-source, and I get the impression most Maemo purchases were too. I think MOST of the problems with Maemo were because of the LACK of openness, despite the openness it had, and Nokia's incredible lack of communication, presence and support.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Well the last part of the article mentions Elop's comment and I think this is why he slowed down MeeGo's development. If you want to make profit and make it fast open source OS wont help you. I think most people who believe in open source ideology don't really care about $$$ but Nokia is corporation and it must answer to shareholders.
And answer to shareholders they will! The Microsoft announcement was a great for shareholders, if they held a short position.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
if you held a short you wouldnt be a share "holder" - duh

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
if you held a short you wouldnt be a share "holder" - duh
This from wikipedia
"In finance, short selling (also known as shorting or going short) is the practice of selling assets, usually securities, that have been borrowed from a third party (usually a broker) with the intention of buying identical assets back at a later date to return to the lender. It is a form of reverse trading. Mathematically, it is equivalent to buying a "negative" amount of the assets. The short seller hopes to profit from a decline in the price of the assets between the sale and the repurchase, as the seller will pay less to buy the assets than the seller received on selling them. Conversely, the short seller will incur a loss if the price of the assets rises. Other costs of shorting may include a fee for borrowing the assets and payment of any dividends paid on the borrowed assets. "Shorting" and "going short" also refer to entering into any derivative or other contract under which the investor profits from a fall in the value of an asset."

Are they the owner of record for the shares? Not if they are borrowed, so they are not shareholders in that sense. But they certainly hold a financial interest in the what the shares do, which was the point of my remark.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, competition, rip android, your mum blows