Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
What are people currently using as browsers on their Jolla phones?

Initially, I used the native browser, and while I found that did the job initially, with recent updates, it's just gotten slower and slower. Now it's at a stage where it's almost unusable, with pages slow to render and very unresponsive when navigating.

This led me into installing Firefox (Android version). This improved things a bit, but I still find that a substantial number of sites (particularly those with lots of Javascript) perform very poorly. The alternative is to use mobile versions of sites, but these fail to even render properly in most cases.

What are others using, any thoughts on hacks or tips to improve things?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Using the native browser. As an opposite to your findings, I have found that it gets better and better each release, and have experienced no problems of slowness with it. (just shows that different people have different expectations...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I'm not that happy with native browser speed as well - even though it got a bit better with Sailfish OS 1.1.4.28.

Most of the time I use "Web Pirate" (available from OpenRepos/Warehouse). Works great for me and I like the way it plays videos (even adds cover-actions for video playback). It also offers more traditional tab browsing and you can add shortcuts to website like in Firefox.

Otherwise I also use Firefox Android app (mainly because of sync feauture).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Like NokiaFanatic and unlike juiceme, I have also found that each update makes Sailfish Browser less and less usable. Sometimes it is that it gets slower, other times that the new UI makes it less intuitive to use. This got to the point that I stopped using it altogether two updates ago and switched permanently to Webcat as my main browser. I nearly forgot about Sailfish Browser, except for cases when I tap on a link in an email and this opens the built-in browser. Is there any hack for that? Make another browser the default?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
there was an opera browser in early sailfish demos in 2013 . Does someone know what happened or it was the android version

I've become pretty accustomed to the default browser, and it fits my needs well enough. I'm not a heavy user to be honest, mainly just BBC Sport, Facebook, Twitter and Reddit, but it renders the mobile versions of those sites just fine, so I've not felt the need to change. No real need for bookmark sync with such limited use. Anything more complex and I'll switch over to my Surface Pro.

I use Weather or MeeCast for weather, Feed Haven for news, YTPlayer for extended YouTube sessions. It works.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
there was an opera browser in early sailfish demos in 2013 . Does someone know what happened or it was the android version
It was probably the MeeGo version that you could also install on Nemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[...] except for cases when I tap on a link in an email and this opens the built-in browser. Is there any hack for that? Make another browser the default?
There's a hack described here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...fault-browser/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I'm using the built-in browser since the previous update that brought the new UI and since I've discovered that disabling IPv6 in about:config makes it lightning fast. But I still have WebPirate installed just in case (and Webcat is nice as well, but I don't have that one installed anymore).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Has anyone seen this? I saw it linked on reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8tjBpWCM0E (Chromium in Emulator)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luke_dirtwalker For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, jolla, sailfish