Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I believe it's just the opposite-- the non sequiters are the exception overall.
...and I'm usually there, right in the middle of it.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The Google Search does not have this problem;
FYI, that's built in to itT already. If you use the search feature on the main page, it produces a better result, showing different ways to filter them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...and I'm usually there, right in the middle of it.
qolling, qolling, qolling...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
That's exactly the point Tex, and well put...

The perfect example is a question "How do I boot from my SD card?"

There are about (at least) 3 complete How-to's; all different approaches and yet all functional ways to do this. So when I come across this question I have 3 choices:
1) Explain, all over again, all the steps involved in booting. (Sorry.. I don't have the time - or the patience)
2) Do the search the asker should have done first, find the post, copy the link, and give it to him (thus; throwing him the fish; I can only do this so many times before I get bored - and eventually annoyed.)
3) Tell the asker the answer is out there.. he just need to search for it. (easy for me; and provides him direction).

Thus.. many people choose option 3.. we keep our sanity - user at least knows his answer is lurking around here somewhere.. he/she just need find it.

Tablet Scene is built around options 1 or 2.. that's just not my scene . And I know I'm not the only one. I also know this is unfair for new guys - but at the same time... I (we) can't be fixing everyone else's problem, and our own, and still have anything productive for US get done.

And hell.. last I checked - the glass was damn near evaporated .
Theres one important factor you're not including: tone.

If you deal with customers it is very important to keep a nice tone. This makes a person feel comfortable. You can still tell the person he/she is wrong, and they're more willing to accept this if you assert it in the right way.

Instead of telling someone "you're wrong, idiot" you can say "perhaps if you look at it this and this way you notice". Or, "yes, we might have made a mistake there, but you should have done it right in the first place"; then working towards solving the problem. Another example: "UTFS!" or "Your question has been asked and answered already. Please, use the search".

The sarcasm smiley doesn't help either. The first and last line of a text are best remembered, and if the last part is a sarcasm smiley I guarantee you it doesn't arrive nice. Its often not used in combination with sarcasm, and often used to belittle the person directed at. Where is the respect? Is it that much work just to remember the other persons also have feelings? If you're not able to do that perhaps its better to not reply at all...

So in other words as the internet progressed, users regressed. Nice.
Google

Seriously, I know people who'd fill in internettablettalk.com in Google search, and then click on the first hit. I can explain once or twice why they're being inefficient, but in the end it doesn't matter that much. Except for lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Besides that, if I search for something and Wikipedia has an entry and this entry is good enough why would I search further?

Here's a lecture by Fravia about searching and finding http://www.archive.org/details/Fravi...without_google his website is http://searchlores.org he's been into this subject for many years (10+)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Theres one important factor you're not including: tone.

If you deal with customers it is very important to keep a nice tone.
I don't think anyone here is paid customer support. Last time I checked, everyone that helps volunteers.

Now, I'm not excusing any outright nastiness. But I do understand some of the testiness that arises. Since these are volunteers we're talking about, and this is not Nokia customer service, the "customers" have at least half a stake in this, too. That means doing their part to avoid wasting the time of those stepping up to help. Surely it's easy to see that saves them time, too.

I'm sure someone will throw out the fact that the people asking many of the questions are unsophisticated in the ways of technical devices, and that's why they're here. I don't accept that on face value. I question anyone who purchases an internet tablet without doing a bit of homework first. Heck, that includes almost any purchase. I don't expect anyone to read a few specs and become instant experts, but on the other hand, they should learn enough to think long and hard before making the purchase. Many of those popping in here turned out to have made impulse purchases, and they take their frustration out on forum members trying to help. They also show no interest in wanting to learn but instead want to be spoonfed. That rubs some people the wrong way.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I found this useful post in the Newbie forum about how to use the search.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't think anyone here is paid customer support. Last time I checked, everyone that helps volunteers.

Now, I'm not excusing any outright nastiness. But I do understand some of the testiness that arises. Since these are volunteers we're talking about, and this is not Nokia customer service, the "customers" have at least half a stake in this, too. That means doing their part to avoid wasting the time of those stepping up to help. Surely it's easy to see that saves them time, too.
Our treshold level of nastiness differs, that is for sure.

Based on the observed behaviour here and there its clear to me some people here wouldn't function at a job involving customer support.

As you pointed out, where there is conflict, 2 or more parties are involved. The parties should reflect on how to solve the problem(s) but because we are the party who is perceived as the wise ones (because we serve information), we should also behave in a adolescent manner.

The fact that this isn't paid customer support is related to the issue. If you'd be paid for helping a user there'd be a different set of rules, and perhaps such system might actually work on ItS.

That doesn't mean you should express yourself in the way you want to though. For example, one could ignore a stupid question, or kindly explaining the person the mistake they made, or kindly pointing to a howto which explains how to use the search effectively (or a useful post like the one I pointed at above). If you're not able to do this please don't reply. You're not fit to be in contact with this particular person on this particular subject.

I'm sure someone will throw out the fact that the people asking many of the questions are unsophisticated in the ways of technical devices, and that's why they're here. I don't accept that on face value. I question anyone who purchases an internet tablet without doing a bit of homework first. Heck, that includes almost any purchase. I don't expect anyone to read a few specs and become instant experts, but on the other hand, they should learn enough to think long and hard before making the purchase. Many of those popping in here turned out to have made impulse purchases, and they take their frustration out on forum members trying to help. They also show no interest in wanting to learn but instead want to be spoonfed. That rubs some people the wrong way.
I understand your point of view and am able to relate to it.

Ironically, those are exactly the kind of people who'd pay for customer support

There is no reason we have to accept frustration from any party. We should all do our best to limit events involving frustration.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Based on the observed behaviour here and there its clear to me some people here wouldn't function at a job involving customer support.
Don't extrapolate people's behavior online to possible job performance. That's a bit like observing somebody drunk at a party and deciding that they wouldn't be a very good employee. It just doesn't follow.

Things work a lot differently when one actually has a reason for babying people. Like, say, getting paid.

That doesn't mean you should express yourself in the way you want to though. For example, one could ignore a stupid question, or kindly explaining the person the mistake they made, or kindly pointing to a howto which explains how to use the search effectively (or a useful post like the one I pointed at above). If you're not able to do this please don't reply. You're not fit to be in contact with this particular person on this particular subject.
Hey, ho, welcome to the Ubuntu forums, where nobody gets an answer on anything! Personally, I'd rather get a snarky remark that points me in a useful direction than no response at all.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-08-29 at 19:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Don't extrapolate people's behavior online to possible job performance. That's a bit like observing somebody drunk at a party and deciding that they wouldn't be a very good employee. It just doesn't follow.
I actually think it is probably safe to extrapolate a persons' behavior when drunk to their behaviour when sober. The person tends to be very much themselves, writ large, when drunk. I suspect you could say the same thing about a persons' online behaviour...

Hey, ho, welcome to the Ubuntu forums, where nobody gets an answer on anything! Personally, I'd rather get a snarky remark that points me in a useful direction than no response at all.
I'm doing my small part to make the Ubuntu forums a better place!

Last edited by qole; 2008-08-29 at 22:58.

Funny. Ever had a business meeting involving alcohol? Now, reflect: do you feel what was being said there holds no value whatsoever? Important decisions are made on alcohol.

As for comparing to drunk. I don't believe anyone here is behaving like a drunk mofo. So the compare itself is a bit extreme.

I'm glad you mentioned the example though. Drugs don't morph one personality into a different personality. They alter someones behaviour. The personality is just the same whereas the output is different therefore you perceive different behaviour. One who's good with psychoanalysis can see through such though.

Hey, ho, welcome to the Ubuntu forums, where nobody gets an answer on anything!
Strange, I just went to Ubuntu's beginner forum and (not counting stickies) I noticed only 1 post out of 20 with 0 replies.

Besides that, quantity doesn't matter. Quality does.

Personally, I'd rather get a snarky remark that points me in a useful direction than no response at all.
Snarky remarks lower the signal-to-noise ratio. If a person with a question doesn't get a reply they might get impatient and commit to research themselves. They might even leave (which isn't necessarily bad given you don't want this kind of behaviour).

Now, lets see what happens of they get a reply. No matter what kind of reply, no matter the content of the reply, they'll use that as input. If it is a snarky reply it lowers the comfort level of the user because he/she feels insulted. They probably don't see how wrong they are themselves (lack of self reflection due to lack of knowledge about netiquette). The insulter got his candy though: he/she gets an ego boost from belittling someone. I don't believe this is the kind of behaviour we want on a open community.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I've posted once once or twice to tablet scene. I really don't have unlimited time or energy and it's become apparent that it's better to remain silent than give an answer that is not "appropriate" for newbies.

After experiencing the questions and feedback I now believe that another forum was a bad idea. Either the subform of iTT so that technical question can be moved easily or some sort of "Yahoo Answers" style feedback system.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:

Tags
newbies, tablet scene