Active Topics

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think this kind of optimism has to be avoided.

Nokia has just asked that the Maemo servers be moved out of the enterprise facility to somewhere else. X-Fade's personal contract was not extended past June 30. (We got no advance notice.) All we have at this point is the basic maintenance contract with Nemein (which we have not seen).
Rob,

optimism / pessimism is only the expression of a probability.
you have admit that if X-fade's contract has ended 2 days ago, the stats are somewhat skewed
sorry to hear about X-fade losing his job

in fact, this starts to sound very nastily like me EDIT
NOKIA's situation is so desolated that it may have to file for bankruptcy (well) before the end of 2013 :'(

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Nokia has just asked that the Maemo servers be moved out of the enterprise facility to somewhere else. X-Fade's personal contract was not extended past June 30. (We got no advance notice.) All we have at this point is the basic maintenance contract with Nemein (which we have not seen).
Ouch! Can we at least get a dump of wiki & bugzilla if/while there's still time?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Rob,

optimism / pessimism is only the expression of a probability.
you have admit that if X-fade's contract has ended 2 days ago, the stats are somewhat skewed
sorry to hear about X-fade losing his job

in fact, this starts to sound very nastily like me EDIT
NOKIA's situation is so desolated that it may have to file for bankruptcy (well) before the end of 2013 :'(
Nokia will be bought well before bankruptcy that at earliest has been estimated to be 2 years away with their reserves.

They are simply cutting stuff that has no value for them, at this point it's understandable for them, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Nokia will be bought well before bankruptcy that at earliest has been estimated to be 2 years away with their reserves.

They are simply cutting stuff that has no value for them, at this point it's understandable for them, unfortunately.
the reserves were estimated by various financial analysis institutes to last 'til end of the year, beginning of 2013 at best.
common sense does not seem to be... common good for NOKIA management right now, so they'll keep farting away, quarter after quarter that the next release of LostDOS fossilized will be their savior
most assemblies lines are already outsourced if i remember correctly and... gee, who would want to waste any money on a slurry pit, huh?

NOKIA has passed the point of no return.
alas, going the wrong way.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
just a template to fill in when I find words to fill in here

quite depressing

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The whole issue is not going to work if Nokia finally pull the plug on this community.

The thing everyone is either missing or avoiding here is "permissions" and without full access to Maemo it is all doomed and will never go any further than it has now for this community.

the reserves were estimated by various financial analysis institutes to last 'til end of the year, beginning of 2013 at best.
common sense does not seem to be... common good for NOKIA management right now, so they'll keep farting away, quarter after quarter that the next release of LostDOS fossilized will be their savior
most assemblies lines are already outsourced if i remember correctly and... gee, who would want to waste any money on a slurry pit, huh?

NOKIA has passed the point of no return.
alas, going the wrong way.
You are more right than you even know because Nokia is and always will be controlled by Microsoft from the merger onwards and that will for sure spell the end of Maemo Meego and everything else Nokia was involved in simply because without Microsoft Nokia was doomed and no way they will want progression on anything else but WP.

This community is going about it arse about face and not realising the future actions of Microsoft, Nokia have no say whatsoever in this now because it will be owned and run eventually by Microsoft entirely.

Everyone needs to realise this and stop wasting time on things that will just never happen for this community.

i for one am going to download interesting packages with w3mir (extras* repository) respectively Pali's download.sh or his improvement on apt-mirror for NOKIA's repositories.
once this is done i will see into porting dpkg-scanpackages respectively dpkg-scansources to Fremantle so that everyone can create her or his own local repository.
without games & themes the whole thing comes down to 15GB.
any mSDHC 32GB card (preferably formatted ext2) can then serve as a "repository" to every N900 owner.

EDIT: sorry, forget about dpkg-scansources
the 15GBs are only armel deb packages, thus dpkg-scanpackages is all that's needed.
i do appreciate that this community is about developing software, but past 31st of December...

Last edited by misterc; 2012-07-02 at 20:31. Reason: oups, maybe not dpkg-scansources :-/

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
i for one am going to download interesting packages with w3mir (extras* repository) respectively Pali's download.sh or his improvement on apt-mirror for NOKIA's repositories.
once this is done i will see into porting dpkg-scanpackages respectively dpkg-scansources to Fremantle so that everyone can create her or his own local repository.
without games & themes the whole thing comes down to 15GB.
any mSDHC 32GB card (preferably formatted ext2) can then serve as a "repository" to every N900 owner.
ABSOLUTELY the right and only thing to do !!!.

Don't rely on this community.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
ABSOLUTELY the right and only thing to do !!!.

Don't rely on this community.
once they are created i will make them available to the Community...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility