Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I'd like to let you know, that Openmobility is holding a Qt/QML summer coding contest with one N9 and two N950s as prizes.

Subjects
The range of subjects is wide and open. Your task is simply to develop a mobile application that uses Qt and QML. If you want to, you may also design your application specifically for the Czech or Slovak market. Feel free to make use of all the available hardware; the camera, the microphone, the A-GPS and positioning functionality, and others. Just for pointers, there are very few applications that use NFC (Near Field Communication) at the moment.

Rules
  1. The application has to be published and distributed under one of the available open source licenses (GNU GPL, BSD) and the development of the application must be open and transparent. We strongly recommend to create a project page with a hosting server for open source projects.
    (projects.developer.nokia.com, gitorious.org, github.org etc.)
  2. The application has to be submitted to the Nokia Store (store.ovi.com) and be at least in the QA stage.
  3. The application has to be developed especially for this competition. Entries that have been published before in any form will not be considered for this competition.

Mini-contest for non-developers
The applications created for this competition will be available to the public from September 30. You may review and evaluate the ideas, improve applications, or fix bugs. Once you submit your review, you can vote for your favorite application and win a prize.

How to Participate
You can participate by sending an e-mail to beqtopen2012@openmobility.cz. Simply include a brief description of your application and a link to the public repository. For reviews concerning individual entries use the same address. Reviews will be added to the web pages of Openmobility. For questions concerning the competition use the address above.

Timetable
July 2, 2012 – call for entries
September 30, 2012 – deadline for entries
October 15, 2012 – deadline for reviews
October 20, 2012 – announcing the winners

Evaluation
The entries will be evaluated by an independent jury and the interested public. The first criterion is of course to have developed the application. Other criteria are:
  • native system integration (native look)
  • publication and documentation (user documentation for the application, a blog entry describing the application in detail)
  • idea and innovation
  • benefit to the community
  • extent to which the features of the telephone are utilized

Prices
One Nokia N9 smart phone and two Nokia N950 developer devices will await the three winning entries.

See the main contest announcement [en] for more details.

FAQ
Can an application be entered both to the Openmobility Be Qt Summer Contest and Maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 ?

We would like to avoid duplication of awards for the same application. You can participate our competition if you promise to refuse the price from second competition. You should highlight it in your application to contest (i.e. in email).

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Hmm, what specifically are the ties between openmobility and Nokia, that they can give away N950s as prizes?
Nokia Czech Republic is sponsor of the competition. We are just enthusiasts.

NOTE: I'm not one of the organizers but I can forward your questions for them to naswer.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-07-11 at 10:16.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hmm, what specifically are the ties between openmobility and Nokia, that they can give away N950s as prizes?

Either way, I really really want one!

I need to learn to code, I have some awesome ideas for things I want to write.

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

3. The application has to be developed especially for this competition. Entries that have been published before in any form will not be considered for this competition.
This precludes any maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 entrants from resubmitting. .

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
I've just bumped the organizers about your questions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
This precludes any maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 entrants from resubmitting. .
We would like to avoid duplication of awards for the same application. You can participate our competition if you promise to refuse the price from second competition. You should highlight it in your application to contest (i.e. in email).

slaapliedje

So these are the answers I've got from the organizers: (added to FAQ in first post)

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post

slaapliedje

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
Hi All,

My application MoGateway which takes place at both competition was selected as a N9 winner for finishing on top places of the Network & Communication of the Maemo.Org Coding Competition 2012 and according to the rules of both competition I would like publicly to announce that I will refuse N9 from the OpenMobility contest if MoGateway earns appropriate ranking there too.

Last edited by leon.anavi; 2012-10-08 at 13:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
Hi All,

My application MoGateway which takes place at both competition was selected as a N9 winner for finishing on top places of the Network & Communication of the Maemo.Org Coding Competition 2012 and according to the rules of both competition I would like publicly to announce that I will refuse N9 from the OpenMobility contest if MoGateway earns appropriate ranking there too.
OK, I've forwarded your announcement to the organizers.

In other news, the submission period ended and Be Qt : SC entered another phase - the reader contest.
It seems to work like this:
Write a review for one or more applications that have been entered to the competition and get a chance to win a (small) price.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
OK, I've forwarded your announcement to the organizers.
Thank you but you shouldn't have. I notified them about the status of my submission.

In other news, the submission period ended and Be Qt : SC entered another phase - the reader contest.
Sounds like fun I have already recommended it to friends Good luck to all participants and readers

The Following User Says Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Thank you but you shouldn't have. I notified them about the status of my submission.
No problem.

Sounds like fun I have already recommended it to friends Good luck to all participants and readers
Thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: