Active Topics

Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Dude, check your expectation!
You're probably even somewhat right with some of your complaints... But Since you're interacting with different communities,.. could you just not focus all your bad vibes somewhere there?
Why are you questioning 'western culture' over here?
I'm just giving back the honour:

You are a PITA in community threads <- quote by win7mac, right back at you, is it offensive suddenly? Whoa

szopin, got your point, thanks.
Frankly, to me, you're a pita in the community topics...
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=103

Last edited by szopin; 2015-07-24 at 01:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I'm just giving back the honour
@szopin,

Please relax a bit. I admit I've never used twitter and I don't really know what crackpot-hole reddit is or was.

But FFS knowing the name of somebody doesn't mean anything. I could take the damn phonebook (yes we still have those) and call the police and accuse "Markus Müller" (or whatever common names the Germans have) of anything. The one ending up with a problem would me be for speading false accusations.

I don't know (and I honestly don't want to know) if US police ("SWAT") are actually that dumb to go after anyone because "somebody in twitter said this or that". If it's so, then THEY have a problem, but I don't want to be anonymous because some dumbasses don't like it. I call that terrorism, in the actual sense of the word.

It pains me to say this, but you are really becoming a PITA around here. If you have a problem with TMO and/or the Maemo community then by all means take a break and come back when you're OK.

The world is full of organizations and communities with no anonimity of any kind (it's usually not allowed, not even in Facebook for fvck's sake!). And we're still here alive and kicking.
I submit that Twitter and whatever obscure communities you seem to follow are not representative of the real world.

But hey, it's just an (my) opinion.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
From wikipedia:
Swatting is the act of tricking an emergency service (via such means as hoaxing an emergency services dispatcher) into dispatching an emergency response based on the false report of an ongoing critical incident. The term derives from SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics), a highly specialized type of police unit in the United States carrying equipment such as door breaching equipment and powerful firearms.

Swatting has been associated with online harassment campaigns, and episodes range from large to small — from the deployment of bomb squads, SWAT units and other police units and the concurrent evacuations of schools and businesses, to a single fabricated police report meant to discredit an individual as a prank or personal vendetta.[1]

The action of swatting-linked to the action of doxxing (obtaining the address and details of an individual)-has been described as terrorism due to its potential to cause disruption, waste the time of emergency services, divert attention from real emergencies and possibly cause injuries to persons targeted.[2][3] The act of making false reports to emergency services is punishable by prison sentences in the U.S. and a crime in many other countries.[4]

While possibly not lethal in europe, in the US with militarized police forces it is actually quite dangerous, so yeah, glad you had no experiences of that, but it is happening with the latest 'activisms'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
it happens to a lot of people that generally stream online.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I don't know (and I honestly don't want to know) if US police ("SWAT") are actually that dumb to go after anyone because "somebody in twitter said this or that". If it's so, then THEY have a problem, but I don't want to be anonymous because some dumbasses don't like it. I call that terrorism, in the actual sense of the word.
Exactly! The US government and media may use a warped definition of the word but this is the real meaning:

terrorism
[ter-uh-riz-uh m]
noun
  1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
  2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
  3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.
The tactics employed by the lady mentioned in szopin's post #12 or the millitant feminists' attacks on Nobel Prize laureates fit that definition perfectly.

The Only Right Way™ to deal with that is to stand up to it face-on and call it what it is, not cowardly hide behind the cloak of anonymity. That makes you no better than them.

Oh and yes, my real name is no secret. It is easy to find using only the information available on this website.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Good luck, hopefully your boss doesn't mind a flurry of emails accusing you of being rape apologist, misogynist, sexist...

And right now I'd like to point out that Randi Lee Harper is speaking at OSCON this weekend.

TL;DR: A large and prominent tech conference (3.5K attendees) run by O'Reilly Media and sponsored by major tech companies is presenting Randi as an "anti-harassment" activist. When evidence of her track record of abuse and harassment was brought to the attention of the conference organizers last month, they publicly dismissed those contacting them about her as "trolls".

WHY THIS MATTERS: This is by far the biggest venue Randi has ever appeared in and the deception that she and the conference organizers are engaged in is shameful. If enough of us post evidence of who Randi really is to the #OSCON tag, there's a very good chance that future conference organizers (and their sponsors) will think twice before embarrassing themselves by giving Randi a platform.
http://interviews.slashdot.org/comme...1&cid=50165887

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
If my employer falls for that kind of bullsh¡t then I would be better off with a different employer, don't you think?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Not going to take that chance (aside from that staying anonymous was a conscious decision long ago, not recent defence tactic as you suggest), just keep in mind that being self employed doesn't protect you, or are you better off without those contracts/clients who don't care about truth but see a lot of shaming and buzzwords thrown around
Freebsd guy lost 2600$ thanks to her:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.advocacy/5417

Last edited by szopin; 2015-07-24 at 14:44. Reason: correct link

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I'm a northern neighbour to the US..
and we see some pretty sketchy stuff happening sometimes down there...
But you fellas across the pond need to put some perspective on things...
I'd suggest asking fellow american maemoans about what happens in their country before fear mongering and twisting things out of context.
Sure they have a militarized police force.
They need it.
When the populace have the "right" to bear arms (originally meant for a non-gov't public militia to be able to rise up against a gov't in power which becomes tyrannical...) it means that when the police go to a house over a ludicrous barking dog complaint...or pull someone over for speeding...there is a very good chance they won't be just shot...but riddled with bullets...and armour-piercing to boot ...if not bloody well blown up or vaporized by some of the weaponry the public are "allowed" to own.
Even here in Canada...at present we are dealing with truly messed up people who are assaulting our law enforcement and killing them.

No person who makes their life's ambition and job.. to keep others safe from physical harm ...deserves to die.. at the hands of nutbars who think it is a god-given right to kill other people.

Even still...we have no room in our canadian society for either the bleeding-heart-liberal- crying injustice nor the hard-bitten-conservative toting an AK ...neither are welcome.

People getting along, working things out, finding solutions ..we have plenty of room for.

Closer to home...here at maemo...
I am a bit concerned...
1stly- yes you have a valid argument szopin ...
in the case of alerting the community to the hazards of becoming the victim of (essentially) predators ...for lack of a better term... and online terrorism.

But you really better hear this part man...
Between the title of this post and "what's wrong with western society" ...well that is really pushing man...and not in the good way.
The content of your argument is fairly sound...
really.

The thing is ...
1- Unless you offer a viable ...realistic solution or alternative which can actually be put into practice and which the community can understand and accept.
or
2- Unless you alert the populace of the community to the dangers (which you did) and then follow through with asking for help from the community in trying to figure out how to safeguard said community and implement it. (which you haven't)

then you are just pissing in the wind buddy.

do you get it?

either ask for help in implementing safeguards...
or offer viable realistic solutions which can be put into practice....
otherwise you are just screaming about a problem.

and that is the core reason why your friends here are starting to call you a pain in the arse.
they aren't malicious in their statement ...
but they are worried.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post

The thing is ...
1- Unless you offer a viable ...realistic solution or alternative which can actually be put into practice and which the community can understand and accept.
or
2- Unless you alert the populace of the community to the dangers (which you did) and then follow through with asking for help from the community in trying to figure out how to safeguard said community and implement it. (which you haven't)

then you are just pissing in the wind buddy.

do you get it?

either ask for help in implementing safeguards...
or offer viable realistic solutions which can be put into practice....
otherwise you are just screaming about a problem.
I'm all ears buddy, afaik knowing is 100% the battle, so screaming (informing) IS the solution. Take Tim Hunt fiasco for instance, major newspapers with respected journalists (guardian, times, bbc,nyt...) reported on it, took 6 weeks >1000 tweets by Louise Mensch (from The Sun goddamit, how easily dismissed is that based on preconceived notions that it is a rag) to finally get first apology from his accusers:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkro...owed-tim-hunt/

People don't have time to dig through, all you can do is inform, but feel free to offer solutions, if the thread did not seem like an invitation to a discussion, sorry, I'm all ears.