Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

0_o, sounds a little like vandalism. Anyway, device will work with just one speaker, but, as N900 is stereo device, You'll be downgraded to even less than mono - a 1/2 of stereo channel. Don't try listening anything like properly mixed ogg or flac.

Anyway, I don't see much reasons for such "demolition" - after all, instead of soldering small USB port to original pads, You may insert same port here, but connected to tracks via cables, and kept in place just like speakers or audio jack - it will be prone to any breaking.

You don't gain *anything* by full-sized female port - y-cables or adapters are cheap and easy to made, resulting in more flexible setup, without sacrificing anything.

/Estel

// edit

If You follow this Community, you know that I'm dedicated modder myself, but I wouldn't demolish my device like that, just for sake of it. Of course, decision is up to You.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Northern Italy
As I said, I don't care about stereo because I only listen to music on headphones, and those would retain stereo functionality. Essentially all I want from the speaker(s) is to ring loud enough for me to hear the phone, and I need to know if a one-speakered N900 will do that loudly enough.

There is reason for the USB thing. One doesn't typically walk around with adapter cables in one's pockets; having a full-size socket would make it possible to, I dunno, plug someone's USB thumbdrive and share some music without having planned to do so, or grab some data from them to later be transferred to a computer.

As for vandalism... well, I have a long history of performing similar hacks and I've never minded brutalizing my gadgets to improve them, functionally if not aesthetically
Only reason why I don't stick an external port on some kind on the N900 is because I want to bring it on planes, and airport security tends to be unhappy about things with wires and melt-glue sticking out of them...

Last edited by Fallingwater; 2012-05-29 at 01:57.

Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
One doesn't typically walk around with adapter cables in one's pockets
Really? So, you wouldn't want to see usual content of my pockets, even during ultra hot summer

Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
and airport security tends to be unhappy about things with wires and melt-glue sticking out of them...
So, they won't like Your "dremel it" + full port sticked inside, as well.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Can someone just clarify - did Nokia sort out the USB weakness problem in later releases of the N900?

Was it the first batch to be released that was affected only?

The Following User Says Thank You to Maeman For This Useful Post:
Yes and no.

Later batches seems to have *at least* soldered properly port - i.e., no "cold solder" on USB case to motherboard. but, it's still not bulletproof solution - if You open case, You could see how it's done re jack port or speakers, they're, generally, indestructible.

USB port is still soldered only to PCB surface. Hardening it as per instructions is good idea, as it *seems* to make it many times stronger - still, it's *only* surface solder anyway, so nowhere as bulletproof as solution for audio jack or speakers.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hey,

Anybody know anything about this? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84716

I think its worth a new thread so please answer in there

the problem is that i have to keep the n900 at an angle fr it to charge and will actually start charging when i hear this frequency noice constantly coming from the mobile.....if i dont angulate and i dont hear tht frequency noise it just shows its charging but isnt actually....i have dropped my device once....usb port is intact....im certain that this charging issue is related to this

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by shonaga View Post
the problem is that i have to keep the n900 at an angle fr it to charge and will actually start charging when i hear this frequency noice constantly coming from the mobile.....if i dont angulate and i dont hear tht frequency noise it just shows its charging but isn't actually....i have dropped my device once....usb port is intact....im certain that this charging issue is related to this
You really DO need to solder the usb port because it will come off for sure 100%, do it NOW before that happens because i tell you if you don't you will regret very much when it does rip itself off the pads it is soldered too.

Get it soldered for gods sake and don't waste any time about it either, if you cant then get it to someone who can ok.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Hello,
I have had (what I think is) a first class repair from here :-
http://www.buzz-box.co.uk/

Cost was £42. I used to be an electronics engineer (a long time ago).
Would have attempted it myself but the eyes & hands aren't quite so good these days. Not only have they done a wired, as opposed to track
repair, they have Araldited the usb to the mother board.
Most satisfied.

I am in no way connected to Buzzbox.
Satisfied customer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Hi,
My n900 Usb Slot got damaged.i gave it to Nokia Care Center for repair dey have completely damaged the phone and told me the pcb is damaged.so any idea from where i can get new pcb and make it work again

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty