Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm using Nokia N9 and downloaded CloudGPS v0.6.4 from Nokia Ovi Store. I followed the steps on how to make an offline map and placed it onto the /.maps directory. However, I can figure out how to edit the provider.ini file under the /opt/cloudgps/ directory. I tried using file browser or manager on my N9 but it doesn't allow me to edit it or if I tried to copy and paste an edited one from my MyDocs folder, it says "You don't have permissions to proceed". Even when I try to delete the file it keeps saying the same thing.

What can I do to about it? Is there any app that I need to download in order to edit the provider.ini file.

Also, tried to access the N9 storage on my laptop but to no avail. I can't access the root directory on my laptop. it opens directly to the "MyDocs" folder.

I also tried downloading a text editor app but it doesn't allow me to open any file. It only creates new text files.

By the way, it works great on my N9. OpenStreetMap loads too slow. Maybe because of the connection between my DSL network and their servers. Google Maps loads very fast though.

I just need to make it work offline because mobile internet is too expensive here in our country. It cost US$1 for unlimited mobile internet for 1 day or 24 hours and US$23 for 1 month.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA. Great app. 5 Stars.
-------------------------------------
Carlo from Manila, Philippines

Last edited by carlo_N9; 2011-12-20 at 19:26.

Hi,

I found a workarround for the routing-problem with some env-Settings:
just set this in Terminal or a script before you start cloudgps:
Code:
export LC_NUMERIC=us_US.UTF-8
Then the commas in the URLs are replaced by dots and the routing works (for me ).

Have a merry christmas everybody!

CU Michael

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
someone care to reply to my post or answer my questions?

Originally Posted by carlo_N9 View Post
someone care to reply to my post or answer my questions?
I suppose that no one had replied to you just because the trouble is not with cloudgps but with your linux know how....

So, before edit the file providers.ini you should be able to open a terminal as root user and understand how use vi or mc....

Last edited by xes; 2011-12-29 at 13:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
I suppose that no one had replied to you just because the trouble is not with cloudgps but with your linux know how....

So, before edit the file providers.ini you should be able to open a terminal as root user and understand how use vi or mc....
Thanks for your reply sir. I'm not familiar with programming language but I think I would be able to follow any step-by-steps instructions if someone kind hearted replied to my post. I'm just a computer hardware technician. Don't know much about programing/software, that's why I posted my questions here and I think this Web site isn't helpful for someone who only wants to try this product since no one will entertain you if you don't have a knowledge about programming language especially in Linux. That isn't fair. The TS should have stated that this forum or Web site is for developers only and non-developers or idiots like me aren't welcome.

I am a technical support representative for a software here in our country and I know how to provide technical support to our users or customers and know how to answer their inquiries. So I believe every product should have technical support whether it's beta or not. These are just basic questions and no one is able to answer it, except for you sir. I will not recommend this product to my friends, relatives or anyone here in our country. Nokia Ovi Maps is still better. I will post negative feedback in Nokia Ovi Store and tell them to remove this product from their Web site. I have the screenshots already. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply sir. I'm not familiar with programming language but I think I would be able to follow any step-by-steps instructions if someone kind hearted replied to my post. I'm just a computer hardware technician. Don't know much about programing/software, that's why I posted my questions here and I think this Web site isn't helpful for someone who only wants to try this product since no one will entertain you if you don't have a knowledge about programming language especially in Linux. That isn't fair. The TS should have stated that this forum or Web site is for developers only and non-developers or idiots like me aren't welcome.

I am a technical support representative for a software here in our country and I know how to provide technical support to our users or customers and know how to answer their inquiries. So I believe every product should have technical support whether it's beta or not. These are just basic questions and no one is able to answer it, except for you sir. I will not recommend this product to my friends, relatives or anyone here in our country. Nokia Ovi Maps is still better. I will post negative feedback in Nokia Ovi Store and tell them to remove this product from their Web site. I have the screenshots already. Good luck!
??? Sorry, this is not a technical support forum.

This is a community of Nokia Nxxx owners that love their devices and would understand/mod/create their beloved toys.

If you are not happy with your device i suggest you to sell it IMMEDIATLY... I'm sure you'll find someone searching for it and very happy to pay for your unusable phone in just a few days.

And finally, if you buy a Ferrari car and you discover to be unable to drive it without hit a tree..... it is not a fault of Ferrari.

Bye bye

??? Sorry, this is not a technical support forum.

This is a community of Nokia Nxxx owners that love their devices and would understand/mod/create their beloved toys.

If you are not happy with your device i suggest you to sell it IMMEDIATLY... I'm sure you'll find someone searching for it and very happy to pay for your unusable phone in just a few days.

And finally, if you buy a Ferrari car and you discover to be unable to drive it without hit a tree..... it is not a fault of Ferrari.

Bye bye
Nokia says contact the developer if you have any questions or concerns and that's what I did, didn't I? Did I say I'm not happy with my device. Read my last post. I said, I'm not happy with what is going on here. The developer is here and he is not able to provide answers to questions about his product. Where do you think should I go an ask for answers? Ask Nokia? It's not their product! Ask my mom? LOLs.... Ask my neighbor's pet? Where? Tell me?

this isn't a technical support forum??? then what do you call the technical questions posted by hundreds of users here? hah? isn't that technical? aren't they asking for technical support for the developer?

this isn't a technical support forum??? then what do you call the technical questions posted by hundreds of users here? hah? isn't that technical? aren't they asking for technical support for the developer?
??? What are you complaining for?

It's about install a free application and then ask to the world how to modify its parameters without even have the basic knowledge to know what are FILE PERMISSIONS????

If it is so.... Please don't complain here.

??? What are you complaining for?

It's about install a free application and then ask to the world how to modify its parameters without even have the basic knowledge to know what are FILE PERMISSIONS????

If it is so.... Please don't complain here.
i don't think you understand what I'm pointing at, dude! i'm just asking a basic question but no one cared to reply except you. I expect that the developer would care to reply but he didn't. If you make something, you should be able to answer any questions asked by the users or provide technical assistance since you are it's creator. All I'm asking is just one simple reply or answer. I'm not complaining about the product or anything else. As I've said in my first post it's a great app. I'm just asking a SIMPLE QUESTION.

Note: I didn't even ask how to modify the app. Or should I say, I asked because I could figure out how to add an offline map.

But the thing is, no one cared to reply except you.

Someone should have said that or the developer should have told me "hey, you need to have a knowledge in Linux in order to add an offline map. To do so, follow these steps... so on and so forth. "

What would you feel if someone ignored you? haH?

<removed>

Got it!?

Last edited by Reggie; 2011-12-30 at 13:07.

Tags
best gps app