Notices

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I've been working on writing a multitrack recorder for the N900 in Vala using gstreamer as a backend. Recently I got sidetracked by starting to port Fillmore which has many of the same goals (albeit for the desktop) and uses the same development tools.

Project page here:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/fillmore/

Install deb from (pre-alpha 0.1.3) :
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....1.3_armel.deb

I've been struggling a bit with packaging this from vala so will be trying to get it into extras-devel later in the week. Hopefully I've included all the necessary dependencies let me know if you have any problems installing. (libgee2 is in extras-devel, gstreamer0.10-gnonlin is in extras)

There's still some work to do on the UI (menus) and on performance, but some quick notes on getting the most out of it:
  • Use headphones.
  • Save new projects to the fastest storage on your device (probably the mmc) - Ideally save projects where tracker won't index them!
  • Most of the keyboard shortcuts work - copypaste, save etc.
  • Try running in tablet mode without anything else going (system sounds, phonecalls, sms and usage spikes will interrupt any recording)
  • Don't be too ambitious in the number of tracks you are working with.
  • Currently overclocking may be essential until performance is improved.

Once the port is complete I don't intend to take the this application any further forward in terms of functionality - unless upstream does of course.

The next step is to merge my previous development (demorecorder and fillmore into a single application to develop further - as they each have functionality the other lacks (simple effects, bouncing tracks, more mix down options etc).
Attached Images

Last edited by mr id; 2010-12-01 at 09:33. Reason: Updated deb link to 0.1.3 build.

The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Wow!

The ingenuity and skill of some people here is quite humbling - thanks for sharing your hard work.

Can't think what I would do with this as I'm not a muso type, but "Big Respec' innit?" as the rap fraternity might say (or possibly not...)

Might have a go at editing some music into ringtones or system sounds, though.

Now where did I put those Pink Floyd LP's..?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Awesome! Have been waiting on something like this. You could edit the tracker.cfg to so it won't track this.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Nice! Thank you! When I'am home, I will try to record from Maesynth or Theremin. That would be really awesome.

Originally Posted by berlinermaxe View Post
Nice! Thank you! When I'am home, I will try to record from Maesynth or Theremin. That would be really awesome.
true to the original it records from a mic input not system sounds. i'll need to add source selection to let you choose between system monitor or mic. it's easy enough to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Nice work
Looking forward trying this
I get a missing package from HAM:libgee2 and gstreamer0.10-gnonlin
Where can I find these?

Eager to try it
Thanks!

Originally Posted by datjomp View Post
Nice work
Looking forward trying this
I get a missing package from HAM:libgee2 and gstreamer0.10-gnonlin
Where can I find these?

Eager to try it
Thanks!
libgee2 is in extras-devel
gstreamer0.10-gnonlin is in extras

will probably need installing via xterm as neither is really userspace:

as root
apt-get install libgee2 gstreamer0.10-gnonlin

obviously this will get easier when i get this iin extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by berlinermaxe View Post
Download the latest package (>0.1.1) and you can set the input device from Project > Settings.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Got the dependancies....and the program crashes for me.I`m on PR1.3 and power kernel 45.

Edit: After a restart it works.....I also installed Mydicto which has the gstreamer extras dependancies so these files might fixed the problem!

Last edited by sophocha; 2010-11-24 at 22:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
Got the dependancies....and the program crashes for me.I`m on PR1.3 and power kernel 45.
i'm on the same kernel, so it shouldn't be that. does it crash before the window opens or after?

I'll try an see what other dependencies it may have - possibly gstreamer extras.

if you run it from a terminal:
/usr/bin/fillmore

does it segfault or give another message?

cheers