Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Must admit it would be ironic if the N900 is delayed juuust long enough for word to get out about other Nokia's on the roadmap. It would hurt their N900 sales.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Must admit it would be ironic if the N900 is delayed juuust long enough for word to get out about other Nokia's on the roadmap. It would hurt their N900 sales.
We already know there are other devices on the roadmap before we even get to Maemo 6.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
We already know there are other devices on the roadmap before we even get to Maemo 6.
And interestingly enough, the high-level roadmap(s) as presented at the Summit are EXACTLY what I have asked/begged/complained for going on some time now...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Before I buy the N900, I wish Apple would tell me when they will bring out the iTablet and excatly what features it will have.

I am sure Apple know what features it will have and when it will be ready - so I want to to come out and tell me NOW.
Come-on Apple if you dont tell me now that you are bringing out an iTablet then you are lying ... rants on...

[s]Riddaculous[/s] ..
Riddleculous!!

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I am sure Apple know what features it will have and when it will be ready - so I want to to come out and tell me NOW.
Come-on Apple if you dont tell me now that you are bringing out an iTablet then you are lying ... rants on...

Riddaculous ..
my sources at apple say nothing to an "iTablet" at this time.

heck, they are still trying to figure out how to get the unit to actually run more then one app at a time...but i must say, they have done a heck-of-a-job promoting the heck out of thier new iPods that also make phone calls.

besides, if they did bring an itablet out, you would have the abililty to do anything you wanted on! absolutely anything.....so long as APPLE thinks it should do that! :P

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Releasing the Maemo 6 SDK doesn't mean that the device that goes with it is around the corner. The Maemo 5 SDK was first released in Alpha on 2009-03-02 and in Beta on 2009-04-28.

Given what Nokia has done in the past:

Maemo 1 - N770 - November 2005
Maemo 2 - N770 - November 2006
Maemo 3 - N800 - January 2007
Maemo 4 - N810 - November 2007
Maemo 5 - N900 - November 2009

It would be logical to expect Maemo 6 on the N910 (?) no sooner than November 2010.
It doesn't matter if it's 12 months. You have bought OLD stuff for MUCH money if it's not upgradeable.
Or can you run Maemo 5 on N8x0 officially (it should not run by paper, it should run at a decent speed)? If I bought a N900 I don't know if it's supported next year when Maemo 6 comes out. And it looks like that.
This is the same way Nokia takes with Symbian. Even Feature Packs can't be upgraded. I'll never understand people buying iPhone and paying this high price if iPhone isn't upgradeable by software.
If N900 isn't upgrade you lost A LOT of money.

But it looks like in this forum you get much more money than I get... I'll stop here.

The Following User Says Thank You to slha89 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
So we know the Maemo6 device will have the same screen and OMAP3.

My prediction: the N900 will be able to run Maemo6 and the new device will be much like the N900 but with capacitive screen, and maybe more memory. Maybe without keyboard.
there should be a poll about it ("do you believe the N900 will run maemo6?").

i personally think it most probably won't.
  • they know users want a statement about this. not saying anything when they should at least have an idea about it by now is telling.
  • if M6 supports multitouch, it's likely some operations will actually require multitouch. no N900.
  • i don't know about technical implementation details of DRM, but couldn't DRM require some sort of hardware support, too? even if it's only a nasty little ROM that's specific to M6-models.

oh how i missed these speculations...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
This is the same way Nokia takes with Symbian. Even Feature Packs can't be upgraded. I'll never understand people buying iPhone and paying this high price if iPhone isn't upgradeable by software.
If N900 isn't upgrade you lost A LOT of money.
How did you loose that money ? Will your N900 suddenly stop working ? Do you buy devices just for the OS level bling ? Is there something sinister that prevents backporting applications (in cases where hardware is not an issue) ? You even have announced official Qt support from 2010Q1 which also makes backporting easier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
First I was a little disappointed when Apple released their specs for the new iPhone. I won't buy one for many reasons but since everybody is eager to build an iPhone killer it seems to be a good pointer for future development of smartphones. Then after some thoughts I was impressed because Apple decided to go with software and not to split their user base among many incompatible hardware.

I don't know if smartphones are already at the point where every new PC had to be MS-DOS compatible many years ago, i.e. hardware is just a part of investment and software becoming more and more valuable investment that is well worth to be protected.

It seems that Nokia still sees themselves mainly as hardware company. Otherwise they would at least tell something like we will do our best to ensure that future versions of software will run on as many smartphones as possible.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
How did you loose that money ? Will your N900 suddenly stop working ? Do you buy devices just for the OS level bling ? Is there something sinister that prevents backporting applications (in cases where hardware is not an issue) ? You even have announced official Qt support from 2010Q1 which also makes backporting easier.
Nah, he buys gadgets that need to last FOREVER... No matter what the technology might brings us from the future

I guess this guy still walks around with some coins in his pocket JUST IN CASE he needs to make a phone call on-the-go...

I dont like this argument of "if i buy it now i wont get the much better thing that is right around there corner... say 1-2 years"... Maybe I should give a damn and I would have much much more money under my mattress...