Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I decided for my next time waster, I'll be attaching a Nikon SLR F mount to my N900. I wouldn't trust the flimsy plastic case to hold a lens without the whole back cover falling off, though. So first step's first: Make a new back cover.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
lol interesting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Great idea!
wish you lots of patient with that speaking from my experience

It reminds me something i did a while ago.
sorry if its off topic just to share
Took me quite some time to make it work and fit.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
O nice. When mine is done the OEM lens will be taken out, too. Hotswappable would be nice, but I don't think I could do that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2012
@azkay:
Very interesting, eager to see results.

@ed00
It looks amazing, could you post more technical details - how you've decided to do mounting, alligning focus, and maybe some example photos (of same object with or without zoom, like I did with my proof-of-concept 10x zoom for N900)?

/reversed letsee

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You do of course realize that the crop factor of the N900 sensor is something around 6, which makes 35mm lenses pretty unusable for any normal photography barring possibly birdwatching?

In other words, if you fit in it a normal objective like Nikkor 50mm/1.8 you get equivalent FOV of 300mm.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You do of course realize that the crop factor of the N900 sensor is something around 6, which makes 35mm lenses pretty unusable for any normal photography barring possibly birdwatching?

In other words, if you fit in it a normal objective like Nikkor 50mm/1.8 you get equivalent FOV of 300mm.
I realise "I decided for my next time waster".

Now I need a way to attach it to the body.
I would screw it on, but I need somewhere to screw to.
If I had longer screws that fit the N900 I could use the four corner holes.

Either way, until I get DSLR parts I now have an ironmanesque cover.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
One question - why not use a real Nikon lens mount? I took a look at my D90, and its mount looks about the same size or slightly larger than the N900.

If I didn't have a CNC machine to print out a full back cover I'd salvage a real mount off an old AF-S body. That way, you get the real feel and "click" of the mount.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
One question - why not use a real Nikon lens mount? I took a look at my D90, and its mount looks about the same size or slightly larger than the N900.

If I didn't have a CNC machine to print out a full back cover I'd salvage a real mount off an old AF-S body. That way, you get the real feel and "click" of the mount.
I am using a real Nikon lens mount, I just don't have one yet. I'll have it screw into the metal case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:

Tags
just shoot me