Clock (screensaver), digital one, big letters (like in e71)

I think checking time from my mobile is one of the most common uses.

I also agree with the previous comments about needing to check some stuff (map/calendar/notes) while walking (or when one hand is otherwise occupied.

The Following User Says Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
you know guys.
we humans are very dexterous with our movements
we can hold a camera sideways without having to need technology.

even none computerised camera work!
This comment is applicable to all the other requests in this thread
But it doesn't really address the issue.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
we can hold a camera sideways without having to need technology.
Yes, but when we do that all the on-screen controls are rotated 90 degrees relative to our interocular axis. Annoying, but not a showstopper and like I said I haven't seen any other digital camera rotate the on-screen display. Doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Disclaimer: all these are my personal opinions with the N900. Maybe other N900 users want to to add their impressions to the mix. Also note than it is possible to handle the device in landscape mode and do some basic operations as well. I mean, landscape doesn't mean automatically two hands.

Browser, what is the strong point for portrait mode? As long as you are ok with 480px width and you don't need to input much text... But I agree is an interesting case and worth submitting a proper proposal at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm

SMS texting implies a portrait keyboard that we don't have nor is planned as for today in Fremantle. Are you SO in a hurry that you can't stop few secs to text with a convenient qwerty you have paid for? Typing while running is dangerous anyway, no matter in which mode.

shopping list --> feature request to whoever develops the app.

calendar (for browsing), it's indeed in landscape mode but it ism possible to browser with one hand (at least for me, I have relatively big hands). Fitting a week of 7 days in a single row in portrait mode is not that simple and probably would require serious work on the UI.

calculator, doesn't look that complicated to do but is it such an important use case? Note that real calculators tend to be used with two hands, even the ones that are small with portrait shape. In any case you can always ask this guy to port his clone (or other guys porting other clones).

From applications I use on daily basis with my N800:

- book reader (FBreader)
- in fact anything which includes longer texts it is often easier to read in portrait mode including: www browser, PDF reader, (any office docs reader), RSS browser, even terminal sometimes would be handy in that way
- PIM programs which often - at least for me - includes longer lists; easier to grasp things when everything is on one screen (Agendus in portrait mode with hidden Graffiti area rocks!)
- maps: orientate map that your route is along longer axis and you don't have to "refocus" for longer time

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Media player should definitely be in portrait mode, like this:

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by BaKSo View Post
i might add, if possible the panoramic desktop and dash board ? so i can choose ,see the application, and switch open programs from portrait mode ?
Portrait mode for the desktop seems rather complicated and I don't see it happening. Automatic relocation of your desktop widgets, shortcuts etc? Rotation of your background pictures? Too much hassle for too little benefit? You can always have your frequently used shortcuts in a position that is equally reachable in both modes.

Portrait Dashboard... might make sense if there are more portrait apps that you use frequently. Perhaps it's not that tricky to implement.

... and since both desktop and dashboard are all open source, you will be able to start hacking on them as soon as we release Maemo 5 final. Looking forward to see your proofs of concept!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
- in fact anything which includes longer texts it is often easier to read in portrait mode including: www browser, PDF reader, (any office docs reader), RSS browser, even terminal sometimes would be handy in that way
Might be just me, but... terminal in portrait mode ? Having lines word-wrapped is far worse than having less of them on the screen. Web browsing ? Portrait mode means constant zooming, and it's easier to scroll than to zoom (this is the thing I hated most when using a windows CE machine). For me, at least, these two do not hold too much portrait appeal (I won't MIND having them but I wouldn't use them). But feel free to differ, ergonomy is a very personal thing anyway

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Um guys, you can always tilt your hand and read whatever there's in landscape. You don't need two hands for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Portrait Dashboard... might make sense if there are more portrait apps that you use frequently. Perhaps it's not that tricky to implement.

... and since both desktop and dashboard are all open source, you will be able to start hacking on them as soon as we release Maemo 5 final. Looking forward to see your proofs of concept!
The Portrait Dashboard would make sense if the major applications would support portrait mode. But if your app doesn't support portrait mode, then ... either the thumbnail in the Dashboard is wrong (wrong view, wrong orientation) or then the application wouldn't be in portrait mode, so you need to rotate the device anyway once you go there. So it's only about when do you need to do the rotation: sooner or later.

imho the Dashboard would be a complete mess if 50% of the apps would support portrait and 50% wouldn't. Just try to imagine it for a while.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case