Notices

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I love the update. Making a play-list is child's play. One can rearrange the play order after you have made a play-list, nice!

I am a little puzzle by the size of the bottom tool bar and the fact it is always there, makes the viewing area seem small. What about having the tool bar disappear if there are no options in it and only make the arrow present? One could then click the arrow for options or to bring up the tool bar.

The audio and video stutters if I use the kinetic menu.

Thanks for your hard work!

Last edited by heavyt; 2008-05-09 at 16:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
OMFG - What an awesome update!

You could gut the tablet and just sell the things with MediaBox and it'd still be worth full price.

Quite simply, MediaBox is the best media player I've ever used.

It beats anything on my Palm Treo, my Rio Karma, my Samsung or anything else.

Ok, when I add a directory, it scans and adds the media, but when I click on the cd it says no media. I go back to settings and my new directories are not there, and there is a kind of screen corruption and I have to quit mediabox. Using OS2008 51-3 on an n810.

Also when is UPnP support coming so I can dump Canola for something simpler.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Last edited by combatdoc; 2008-06-10 at 22:59.

I just tried adding a new directory to see if I could reproduce combatdoc's problem, with no luck. Is it reproducible?

I have to agree with cyberbillp. Not just about the update, but MediaBox in general. I'm guessing the only reason there isn't more talk about it is because most people, like me, are simply happily using it and it works nicely.

One thing worth mentioning is the walk-through on MediaBox's web page:
http://mediabox.garage.maemo.org/walkthrough.html
Using MediaBox is pretty intuitive, but still I came across the walkthrough and thought it was pretty cool.

Jay

That's interesting. I always seem to find the oddities.
I Uninstalled and re-installed it. Thsi time the first time I scrolled in the Media Directories window, all the pre-configured directories disappeared. I added my own, refreshed, and they have been there ever since. There still seems to be a bug of some sort with the media preferences and adding directories, but at least this time my custom additions stuck.

BTW the /Music. /Images, and /Video directories are on my Removable 4GB SDHC if that might help with anything.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Still no resume feature for listening to podcasts or audiobooks. I wonder if this is because the feature is difficult to implement? I guess not many people listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
Also when is UPnP support coming so I can dump Canola for something simpler.
I agree, not to beat up on Canola, but to second the notion that MediaBox is, imho, the better app because it is simpler.

Your recent improvements have really improved the usability and adding a few refinements like those suggested above (resuming streams on podcasts and UPnP) would complete the coup. Keep up the good work!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thanks for all your great suggestions! Resuming playback and UPnP are indeed planned for the next release sometime this summer.

I have to agree with cyberbillp. Not just about the update, but MediaBox in general. I'm guessing the only reason there isn't more talk about it is because most people, like me, are simply happily using it and it works nicely.
Oh, so that's the reason why.
Glad to hear that MediaBox doesn't need a loooong bug report thread on Internet Tablet Talk every time a new version gets released.

Unfortunately there are a few users who are having trouble with MediaBox. I try to hunt down all the bugs but sometimes it's really hard to reproduce them.

I Uninstalled and re-installed it. Thsi time the first time I scrolled in the Media Directories window, all the pre-configured directories disappeared. I added my own, refreshed, and they have been there ever since. There still seems to be a bug of some sort with the media preferences and adding directories, but at least this time my custom additions stuck.
Running MediaBox from the XTerminal with "MediaBox" sometimes reveals what the problem could be. In your case it sounds like having trouble with the GConf configuration database. But I can't say for sure. If the problem still persists and is reproducable, I would be happy if you could file a bug report at http://garage.maemo.org/projects/mediabox

BTW the /Music. /Images, and /Video directories are on my Removable 4GB SDHC if that might help with anything.
That should not be a problem.

Using MediaBox is pretty intuitive, but still I came across the walkthrough and thought it was pretty cool.
Thanks for commenting on the walkthroughs. I plan on doing more.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I think I saw mediabox video playlist somewhere, have NOT been able to figure out how to do it. If there is none, is it in the direction of added feature?

BTW, thanks for a player 'simple' enough to be use and user friendly.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-11 at 11:32.

i use mediabox as my primary player simply because music sounds better on it than on the bundled software. (to my ears at least)

however, video playback of divx files seem better on mplayer. isn't the video decoder one and the same? i experience color corruption and stuttering on mediabox but my videos play nicely on mplayer.. i mainly watch 700mb movie rips.. is this normal?

Tags
media player, mediabox