Posts: 92 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany, Bavaria
Hi!

Since the update to PR1.3 i've got the following problem with my N900:

It connects automatically to my home-WLAN.
Works fine - i can use the browser now and other "network-applications".

After a while in "standby" (N900 not in usage), the connectivity apparently looses.
The wlan-connection says that it's still connected (has still an IP) - but i can't ping the address of the N900 in my network and i can't use the network connection any more...

I have to do a manual reconnect then to use the connection again.

Is this a known problem / does anybode else have similar problems? Any known solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
mine does that too, but for months. i just manually reconnect if it happens at a time i need to use the internet. tcpdump shows it sending arp requests like mad, i dunno why. happens on any wifi or mobile data connection every few minutes.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
not at home, but when i connect to the public wifi at the office. i also see this when i'm on 3g, which is more annoying.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Portugal
The same happens to me too.
I have AutoDisconnect installed and I thought it could be culprit.
But it only started to happen after updating to PR1.3.

silbah

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Originally Posted by RouterRebooter View Post
Hi!

Since the update to PR1.3 i've got the following problem with my N900:

It connects automatically to my home-WLAN.
Works fine - i can use the browser now and other "network-applications".

After a while in "standby" (N900 not in usage), the connectivity apparently looses.
The wlan-connection says that it's still connected (has still an IP) - but i can't ping the address of the N900 in my network and i can't use the network connection any more...

I have to do a manual reconnect then to use the connection again.

Is this a known problem / does anybode else have similar problems? Any known solutions?

Thanks in advance!
I do have it also this evening will check again, I do not have Auto disconnect installed, I can make it 'reconnect' without manual reconnect but when I'm start ping form the X-Term but it still it is very annoying.
Will report back soon.
I'm with PR1.3, power45

This has been observed before with some N900/wifi router combinations when you have the wifi power saving setting at maximum. Lowering the setting may be a workaround for you.

The setting can be found at Settings - Internet connections - Connections - select a wlan connection - Edit - 3 x Next - Advanced settings - Other tab

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikaelh For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your replies.

This has been observed before with some N900/wifi router combinations when you have the wifi power saving setting at maximum. Lowering the setting may be a workaround for you.
The power-saving setting wasn't at "maximum" for me.

In spite of this I'm going to test it with no power-saving. I set the "transfer energy" to 10mW and the power saving off.

I will report the results here!

I have this issue too. My N900 has original kernel, no energy saving profile for wlan e not autodisconnect installed

Originally Posted by RouterRebooter View Post
Thanks for your replies.
I will report the results here!
Unfortunately the problem isn't solved. (I turned the WLAN power-saving mode off). Will test it with another WLAN AP.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Portugal
I don't think it's related to wifi's power saving settings because sometimes it also happens with 3G connection.
It seems as if the connection is interrupted but the UI doesn't reflect that and keeps the 3G or WIFI icon 'lit' in the status bar.
It's only when you try to do anything online that you notice that the connection is off.

That's why I thought that it could be some strange interaction between AutoDisconnect and something new/changed in PR1.3. But I think that can be ruled out because most of you aren't using AutoDisconnect.

silbah