Active Topics

What is the best way to back up a Nokia N9?

Don't tell me it's Nokia Link as this always fails on me with an EDP_FAILED_TIMEOUT error. If someone knows a solution for that error, let me know.

I just want to have a solution for regularly backing up my N9 so in case of an emergency situation I can restore it properly.
BackupMenu seems to me too much of a hacking exercise to be comfortable with.

Any advice?

Thanks
Rob

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Nokia pc suite.

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
I always back up the settings, messages, apps etc. with the stock App (under settings) and the data like pictures and music with Nokia Suite and do also manual Backups via copy and paste

Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
Nokia pc suite.
Should have said I'm on a Mac.

i think you can back up your images, music, ecc via openssh and the equivalen of winscp for mac.
for contacts you can use MfE or nokia account sync.

if you prefer the easy way, you can install a virtual machine with winXP and use nokia suite.

i hope to help you!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Regular manual backups with the stock backup application, cloudsync.sh to automatically upload the backups to my server.

I remember there was also talk of starting the backup framework from console (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90360) which would make it possible to launch it automatically via crontab for example. Have not tried it myself, though.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I first backup all settings, messages, etc. via the stock Backup application, then with scp/ssh or via USB I transfer to a PC the contents of the /home/user/MyDocs (which will include also /home/user/MyDocs/.backups where the backups are generated locally on the device).

Originally Posted by marcocara94 View Post
for contacts you can use MfE
What is that, please?

Can anybody tell, what all the default backup tool saves?

Among other, there are these files:
contacts.zip - however, I have not found any contact in it, there are just portrait pictures!
messaging.zip - similarly here, there are no SMSs, just a few MMSs and attached photos, from what I can tell.

So is it all in the organizer.zip? The contacts, messages, calendar? Does anybody know?

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by bng View Post
What is that, please?
MfE = Mail for Exchange, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...37#post1102037

Originally Posted by bng View Post
So is it all in the organizer.zip? The contacts, messages, calendar? Does anybody know?
It seems so.
Current Maemo Community Council member

im gonna advocate my approach to backup:

it allows me to:
  • backup fully automatically every night at 5am, including precisely what i want to include. it currently includes everything that is in the stock backup and more.
  • view and EDIT {in plaintext, on my laptop}, my sms, call log, installed packages, configurations, wifi passwords, etc, and have the changes propagate to my phone.
    this means adding a wifi network, installing a package, rearranging my launcher buttons, etc, is done by modifying a text file on my computer.
  • restore a newly flashed or brand new N9 to precisely how my phone was, literally without touching the phone beyond plugging it into the computer.

ive lost two N9s, one stolen, one destroyed in a hurricane, and both times lost only a few hours of data {two pictures, a text message or two}. i also reflash my phone occasionally, with the full confidence that i wont be losing any data and that the restore can run on its own.

everything is in my n9 repo on github

it is not too hard to get started, but requires a linux box. it doesnt, however, require linux expertise. if you can run ssh, you can do this. if anyone wants to try this out, lemme know and ill do my best to help.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post: