Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nope. The new argument will be how this should have been in place during the launch and not at the end of the life.
I use the USB tethering in Ovi Suite on windows all the time. It's a dead-simple way to tether the device. Since Ovi is not on Linux, is there a dead-simple alternative to using Ovi for usb tethering?

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
On Ubuntu it is. Plug in USB cable, select PC mode and in Network Manager select your provider.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
I use the USB tethering in Ovi Suite on windows all the time. It's a dead-simple way to tether the device. Since Ovi is not on Linux, is there a dead-simple alternative to using Ovi for usb tethering?
Mad Developer? No?

Isn't the great thing about Linux the fact that you can do this stuff at the system level in like five seconds if you know the shell commands necessary?

rmmod g_file_storage
insmod g_ether (Nokia removed this from the later firmwares; it's in power kernel, or you can get it by installing Mad Developer).
ifconfig usb0 ...

...so on. (I don't use linux on my laptop or home machine; I am not going to bother looking up the commands for you. So those above aren't actual literal enter-this-in-X-term things - but they're along the lines of what stuff should be done, in approximately what order. I am very confident that this has been explained in USB Networking wiki entries on this site, however.)

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Mad Developer? No?

Isn't the great thing about Linux the fact that you can do this stuff at the system level in like five seconds if you know the shell commands necessary?
It literally takes me 2 seconds to plug in my N900, select 'pc mode' and click 'connect' in Ovi Suite in windows to tether it over usb. It's so ridiculously easy and fast that I can do it quickly if I'm on the road and have to look up something for work while a client is waiting for me. The last thing I would want to do is muck around with the linux commandline when a customer is waiting. That's just embarrassing.

On Ubuntu it is. Plug in USB cable, select PC mode and in Network Manager select your provider.
I had no idea, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Last edited by craftyguy; 2011-01-14 at 04:07.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
It literally takes me 2 seconds to plug in my N900, select 'pc mode' and click 'connect' in Ovi Suite in windows to tether it over usb. It's so ridiculously easy and fast that I can do it quickly if I'm on the road and have to look up something for work while a client is waiting for me. The last thing I would want to do is muck around with the linux commandline when a customer is waiting. That's just embarrassing.
*Cough* Shell-script *cough* Once you know what to do, writing it into a file and then running that every time is a lot faster. And I don't use my Debian virtual machine that much, but I'm pretty sure you can have a shell script as an icon on your desktop or something.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: