Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Here's how I read these meetings with Nokia...[snip]
Would be funny, but it indicates, that you haven't paid attention to Council/Nokia meeting logs from last few months. In fact, opening code for fremantle wasn't on-topic there - Council is perfectly aware of Nokia position, considering opening anything (more).

And, to be honest, last few months we've had much *more* important problems I Don't think any serious Dev count on Nokia releasing important pieces of code in foreseeable future.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Why? Are you averse to talking about the elephant in the room?
What elephant in the room? Just bring the topics and ask the questions that matter to you.

About Nokia funding maemo.org hosting, see http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but the only way to "benefit" from those "closed-source" bits would thus seem to be working together with NOKIA?
I guess you are referring to Fremantle.

In practice the only way of benefiting from those closed source bits would be to use them as is or to find / develop an open workaround. Ask anybody (inside or outside Nokia) knowing well those binaries (owned by Nokia or by third parties) and I bet all will agree.

These binaries are not going to be opened and they don't have active maintainers. Only a big emergency would make someone go and work on them. Whoever developed them at the time (at Nokia, for Nokia or at a third party company owning the binary) are surely doing something else now.

I'm describing a situation. There is little to argue about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Nokia has already killed off Maemo (and MeeGo for that matter)
Yet here we are.

But for that matter, what is your contribution to this debate and this community? I'm not following your posts as I used to but... did you ever go beyond OS2008/N800/N810? How long since you are not a regular Maemo user?

I mean, people like you make this forum unique but if we are talking about the future of Maemo, opening source code, etc... what is your actual involvement and contribution to all this? And what do you propose?

Last edited by qgil; 2012-04-12 at 07:01.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I mean, people like you make this forum unique but if we are talking about the future of Maemo, opening source code, etc... what is your actual involvement and contribution to all this? And what do you propose?
Would that make a difference? I mean, there are (or there were)
users contributing and involved to all this, but nokia stopped talking
about opening source code.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Nokia has already killed off Maemo (and MeeGo for that matter)
Yet here we are.
I'm sure greek philosophers had a word for this kind of statement.

My words are: Cool. True. Promising.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Would that make a difference? I mean, there are (or there were)
users contributing and involved to all this, but nokia stopped talking
about opening source code.
The difference is to put our time and energies in constructive discussions and into getting things done. There are many other topics apart from the basically exhausted topic of opening components, with a much higher impact in maemo.org users and developers.

For instance, what to do with apps.formeego.org and what would be ideal relationship you would like maemo.org to have with other immediate neighbors like Mer, Qt Project, Nokia Developer...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
... Or other projects out there like developing and running Qt 5 apps with the N9.

Even the role of N9 users and developers here seems to need still some agreement, it seems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Even the role of N9 users and developers here seems to need still some agreement, it seems.
Yes, but that is something started by Nokia itself by moving to Meego.com, that now that has failed has left Harmattan users, developers and resources split across different sites.

Ultimately, people has returned to TMO forums by their own initiative, but we need to merge more resources (Community OBS coming...) to improve this situation.

Maybe the second step after the COBS is some new Applications Web Page merging Appsformeego and Maemo Downloads section. How about approaching the Plasma Active guys with their OwnCloud solution to be shared between Maemo, Harmattan, Mer, etc?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Yes, but that is something started by Nokia itself by moving to Meego.com, that now that has failed has left Harmattan users, developers and resources split across different sites.
True but that's in the past now as we all know (also I think Intel had a say in the move as well). Anyway, I (as a 770, n8x0, n900, n9 and some other devices owner/user/developer) would like to see this as an opportunity to make maemo.org a home from them too. Returning Harmattan home so to speak

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down