Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Barstow, CA
I did a search for AGS but didn't find anything. I found tons of discussions of other great adventure game stuff like ScrummVM and FeeSCI and I'm looking at those too just in case you were going to say that.

Now I don't have my N800 yet (Friday! C'mon! ) but one of the little things I'd like to do now and then is play some old school games. (I hear DosBox works on here which is sweet, but no Xcom working yet. Boo!) One of my favorite style of old school games was the Adventure Genre.

With that in mind I stumbled across Adventure Game Studio while reading about ScrummVM. They DO have a Linux version so that begs the question. Has anyone tried porting the player to the N8X0? I think it'd be a fun way to create new games for the N8X0 besides Flash games of course.

Thanks in advance!

There is a linux port, but all binaries.
Not only is there no source, but in the faq, the author is very clear about not asking him for source or new ports.
Apparently he was burned releasing code once.
Sorry, it looks fun.
desiv

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Barstow, CA
Dang. Oh well. Plenty of other fun things to do eh?

There is a port in Extras-Devel by AapoRantalainen, and it is working great! For the first time I've been able to play "Trilby, The Art of Theft" on an ARM device - it runs smoothly even on the stock clocks and kernel, and it is absolutely flying on 1000 Mhz N900. Even the Android couldn't boast of that since there is no decent keyboard support on their port, and the keys are not mappable even with third-party utils - believe me, I've tried.

All is well, but I've got two questions: how to enable the sound, if it is possible, and how can we map the ESC key? The engine is a mean douche and will not close properly (srsly, the only way of quitting is to shut down the phone) - you are welcome to prove me wrong

Thanks in advance!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PrisonPlanet For This Useful Post:
Hey guys, I just went ahead and "permanently" remapped my US-layout arrow keys to roguelike-friendly "Esc, Tab, <, >" when "Fn" is pressed by following this guide. Just holler if you wish to do the same and I will send you the exact mapping code.

Trilby, The Art of Theft is now fully working and finishable! Please let me know if someone managed the sound to appear (it tells me something along the lines of "...the /home/user directory is not ours..." when trying to initialize audio)...

I'll upload a gameplay video soon, just for the heck of it and to encourage more people to play the game/ buy the phone

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrisonPlanet For This Useful Post:
Hey PrisonPlanet!

I've already "fixed" (not a real code fix - just some scripting tricks) the problem with program not wanting to go away - including possibility to conveniently change volume during gameplay, etc. Aapo is aware of it - he haven't pushed updates, as he wasn't sure if AGS can work properly on N900 at all (I was the "tester", but it seems that I took too heavy games - everything I tried was working so slow, that it was absolutely unplayable).

I'll point him to this thread, he'll surely be glad to hear that its useful, after all.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel, thanks, that would be cool

The volume control means that the sound output is supported? What game can I test it on?

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
This game looks really fun! I'll install it tomorrow.
I play far too little games on my N900!

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I was fooling around with AGS, and compiled v3.3.0.1162 (from here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags).

The sound issue is due to this bug in Allegro 4.2:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....2/+bug/445945

It seems that if we could get a later 4.2 version compiled, or compile libaldmb1 against 4.4, we could get sound working in AGS. There's still the issue of not being able to exit easily from fullscreen, but windowed mode seems to work alright.

I've been testing with Heroine's Quest. The file is too big to attach unfortunately...

Startin with windowed mode and makingit fullscreen through sending:

Code:
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen
...for example, from wrapper script (that runs ags executable, sleep for like few seconds, and send above line of code), should allow to have fullscreen working with all features of windowed mode - possibility to change volume, switch to taskbar, etc.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!