Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denver, CO USA
Originally Posted by MaemoCurmudgeon View Post
Mobilists? Asking to use Nokia Messaging on WiFi is like asking a Ford Explorer to fly...completly different designs and purposes. Nokia Messaging is for MOBILES only... that is it's purpose. Saying it's BS and that you need an official response from Nokia...is BS

If you had a Nokia messaging account you would know that you can't register it to multiple phones without a reinstall of the client software on the device. What do you think that second screen in the e-mail setup is....connecting to nokia servers checking for services... it is checking if you have a nokia messaging account and if it is registered to another device.

So why hop on the "I don't see it"..."I don't see it either"..."BS Nokia must hate us boo hoo" wagon. THINK.

For those folk who can't see the Nokia Messaging option and want it on the N900, 1)Make sure you have a Nokia Messaging account - Duh. 2)log into nokia messaging ...click that cute little icon on the right that says re-install the software. Enter your DEVICES SIM CARD TELEPHONE NUMBER, Click the nice picture of the N900, then click next... Gee I wonder if I can do that to WiFi????

So in conclusion. No you can't use it without a SIM. No You can't use it on two devices similtaneously and yes you can reinstall it on the N900. No BS

BTW I keep my personal hotspot in my pants.

I didn't have a Nokia messaging account. It still showed up in my N900.. I chose it and put in my Gmail account.. everything went on fine... It automatically created an account in email.nokia.com.

I'm with US T-Mobile.

The Following User Says Thank You to eyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I've reflashed my firmware, and its working ok as well here. Luckily you didn't let some curmudgeon send you on a wild goose chase. Congrats!

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I got gmail setup with the mail app just fine as well. I do NOT have a SIM card in my N900, hence am not using any carrier. Everything works as it should, I just wish the email app would thread conversations like GMail does.

The Following User Says Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:
I' wishing email was threaded with conversations. SOmetimes I reply to IM with an email, and it# be nice to have all communication in one spot

I would like to see thunderbird nothing else

I'm basically satisfied with Nokia Messaging, but I wished it would allow me to set the device to download the entire message and not just a partial message, and it deleted from the server and the device.

me too it is so annoying. my old winmo dash let you choose in config how to handles so could set it one or leave it case by case. support said they were working on that with mms firmware.

Well, i would like for the email app (not using Nokia Mesasging) to allow for some additional configurations: limit download of attachments (or by size) when on GPRS, download all when on wifi, etc.

Fascinating thread - especially watching someone with zero credibility (self-ruined) push buttons successfully :-).

Anyhoo... I have had both tmo and att SIM cards in the N900 and see Nokia Messaging so no idea what might be going on there. Honestly, I'm not quite sure the need for such a service (well, other than being forced to use it I suppose).

I don't see Nokia Messaging as a viable alternative in my case (and definitely shouldn't be fore most company email - we 'block' it like other similar middle services and I know others that do as well). For personal, I've used both on N97 and played with it on the N900 - but only with benign test accounts. I personally am not one that likes to many "middlemen" here for a few reasons. Plus, it's just a pain on the N900 giving extra unnecessary steps and far too limiting. I could see why Nokia might introduce it as an option for Symbian phones, but unless I'm really missing something, I don't see why use it. Better to heal Modest.

Been playing with Claws - not bad. Though, someone mentioned it's a desktop client squished into a mobile version: agreed, but it's not unusable or terrible - just have to have small fingers or a stylus (btw - I am a fan of resistive touch screens if for nothing else, this and not having to remove gloves). Problem with claws is the lack of integration with the N900. So, great for just managing email, but Modest is overall a much better solution if they get the issues worked out - including IDLE. I suspect (and think I've read) that the next client is primary focus, which is Qt based - should be much better on Maemo 6. Hopefully, it is available on Fremantle or Harmattan ends up available for N900.

Oh, too whoever said the "inbox is a special folder" and never to have over 1K messages blah blah don't care how busy you are blah blah. I receive 200-300 emails per day just in work account and this isn't uncommon for many people these days (well hasn't been uncommon for years) so that's not reality. Take a couple days off and do what? Filter it to "Inbox 2" not-so-special folder? Read the bug mentioned earlier in the post and you'll see this has nothing to do with the inbox itself. I've been using a ton of devices for this email volume for a long time w/out problem - just a narrow sighted comment.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
any suggestion on a good mail client for maemo? using maemo 5 and im not satisfied from the included mail client.

thanks

Tags
better e-mail, better email, better than modest, e-mail, e-mail client, email, email client, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, replace modest, replacement email client