Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
@OP:
If you buy a WP7 phone, the "couple of hundred" you might loose when selling your N900 is absolutely nothing compared to the features, speed and stability, not to mention the openess, you also loose.

In fact, if you buy a WP7 phone, I consider you lost.
LOL. You mean the "feature" that its media player can't even remember the playback position of podcasts or videos? Yeah, this device is so OP that I can hardly stand it. Really.

I do agree with another poster that the hardware of the N900 is pretty damn good. But what good is good hardware if the OS is buggy, unfinished and lacking features?

As for the WP7 devices, since MS has set minimum specs (including a 1GH Snapdragon and 8MP camera), I don't think I'll be regretting the move. Not to mention the awesome MS Zune media software that's gonna be integrated.

So please, don't start talking crap about WP7. We haven't seen a device yet, but I will bet you my firstborn son that the N900 will not even be on anyone's mind in a few months. The phone market will have a new iPhone, new WP7 devices, new Android devices. And what will you be getting? No Meego, no more support from Nokia with all their attention turned to the N8, and the N900 will still not be able to remember the playback position of podcasts and videos.

Goddamn. That was such uber-pwnage.

Originally Posted by techngro View Post
Goddamn. That was such uber-pwnage.
from the future, no less

Yep, those WM7 phones from 2011, they're much better than the n900 from 2009

Err.. the media player does remember the playback position of the last played video (though not podcasts). But Panucci does that, and it's nicely integrated with gpodder. You should see what thp has in the works with the gpodder server.

As for Meego, you can already install the (command line) version of it on the N900. And the handset UX is suppose to be out and installable to the N900. You might have meant no official commercial support for Meego. As in you can't call Nokia or go to a store and expect them to help you with Meego on the N900.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-06-25 at 01:06.

Originally Posted by techngro View Post
As for the WP7 devices, since MS has set minimum specs (including a 1GH Snapdragon and 8MP camera), I don't think I'll be regretting the move.
They even set minimum specs including no external storage and you aren't allowed to load software from anywhere but their store. So awesome, I love it when they insist on claiming ownership over devices I buy.

As long as they're not actively pursuing jailbreakers like Apple (through silly applications of the DMCA law), I don't suspect it to be a problem.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
As long as they're not actively pursuing jailbreakers like Apple (through silly applications of the DMCA law), I don't suspect it to be a problem.
The problem is that people have to "jailbreak" at all. Of course, Apple (and I'm sure MS) would prefer you spend time and effort jailbreaking and writing software for their platforms, than pushing for and supporting those that don't force you to fight them for control.

I agree, I don't think people should have to "jailbreak" at all. In fact I think all companies should just do a novice and expert mode.

Novice = what Microsoft and Apple are currently doing

Expert = Let go of the restrictions and let me take care of my own device. If I use the battery up cause I'm multi-tasking 5 or 6 apps or I'm stupidly installing apps then fine. Hell refuse to give customer service to people with their devices in Expert Mode until they reflash them back to normal or whatever.

But sadly, that's only in a perfect world.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
Bought my N900 for $130 from a friend. Great condition, but 6 months old. He bought it in Dec. 2009. BEST phone I ever had!!!

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
from the future, no less

Yep, those WM7 phones from 2011, they're much better than the n900 from 2009
I always wonder why people would settle for WM7 while WM8 is obviously much better than WM7?

Strive for the best and settle for none man XD

That post is very misleading.

That was a temporary coupon code.

Its actually $399 if you wanted to buy it today, which is still a great price.

Nokia usa is charging $479. I paid $569 in early feb.

The n900 has already been out for 8 months now.